Monster hunting in The Witcher 3

+
Monster hunting in The Witcher 3

The authors said that while hunting the monsters, we would have to conduct an investigation and collect evidence in order to determine the exact kind of monster we are dealing with. But if so then why did the authors bring back the opportunity to drink potions right during the battle, just like it was in The Witcher 1? In theory, the investigation should be held in order to learn which monster we're going to meet so we could use the corresponding potion in advance.

Last edited:
Fighting monsters isn't just potion drinking mid battle. You also have to account for bomb and mutagen usage like for example the silver shrapnel bomb in the werewolf fight, it prevents him from morphing and regenerating health IIRC.

Other than bombs and mutagens, you also have only a couple of slots for potions to drink on the fly, so you have to choose the right ones to carry before the battle as well.

Basically it's just like The Witcher 2, with the only difference that you can choose when and whether to drink the potions you brought.

Also think that we haven't actually seen a full "monster hunt"
The werewolf is a lesser monster....
The only true monster hunt we have seen bits of is the griffin hunt!
We saw a bit if tracking and the start of the fight and a hint of the end etc.
There is nothing to say what we have seen is railroaded slightly and also we knew Geralt was after a griffin! Nothing about the research up to that point or how everything up to that point played out!

Well you have to gather and prepare the potions before the fight, so you still have to investigate before the fight and brew the potion. Also from what I gathered from interviews brewing potions and gathering ingredients in Witcher 3 is not going to be as easy as it was in prior installments.
But this is definitely an issue that needs to get balanced.

The difficulty in TW1 was not drinking too many potions. How many times I have been on the verge of death, but I could not drink because he had to limit the toxicity and no purifying potion ...
In TW2 you can not die so I do not know how it will be in TW3. I personally believe that the investigation is not only beautiful in order to plan the battle. Just think of chapter 2 of TW1.
Still, however, little is known about fighting. Probably will be more similar to TW2, compared to those in TW1, for sure will appear in the same way (action, not old style).

I just want to say that the investigation is needed to get to know your enemy and get prepared for the battle. Because if we can drink potions in the middle of a battle, a investigation become meaningless.

I just want to say that the investigation is needed to get to know your enemy and get prepared for the battle. Because if we can drink potions in the middle of a battle, a investigation become meaningless.

You can't just drink any of them whenever you want, you can only have 2 ready to drink mid battle. So you have to choose wisely what you pick when meditating.
Then you have bombs of which you can equip only 2 types I think and only when meditating.
Then you have mutagens (maximum of 4), which you can only drink during meditation.

So basically you'll have to meditate if you want to switch any of those for something else thus investigation isn't pointless because you can't meditate mid battle.

There could be potions that need to be taken during meditation in order to take advantage of their full effects, and also, some weaker potions that could be equipped and drunk at any time, but giving only a small extra edge which might be needed. Or perhaps, you have 2 potions at the ready just in case the effects of a previous one wear off during a battle.

Oh, ok, thanks for that clarification. Been busy, didn't have a lot of time to "look around". I thought that when you mentioned mutagens you meant as in W2.

No worries. Essentially they'll function just as the TW2 ones but they're not permanent, you can switch them out when meditating and they offer continuous buffs when equipped but also increase your toxicity levels.

Top Bottom