Monster Vampire Archetype in Patch 3.2

+
The most exciting change for me in patch 3.2 was the MO vampire archetype.
Giving Detlaff 3 bleed and 3 charges is such a cool design well done Gwent team!
On the positive side this leader went from unplayable (from a competative standpoint) to tier 2-ish.
It can't compete with decks from NR (Foltest/Meve) or NG hyperthin (Ardal/Calveit) which have answers against everything (high tempo, removal, reset, engines etc.)

The problems I face (aside from a lot removal) are high tempo plays with simple bronze cards such as blue stripes and fire scorpion.
I'd put the Speartip duo and Golyat in the deck to keep up with these plays but hey are only raw value and do nothing.
It feels kind of sad MO struggels to play against 4-6p cards while playing 8-14p cards in return.
These cards definitly need a redesign or must have lower provisions.

Vampire engines are kind of ok but very easy to remove, moved to another row or are useless against no unit decks.
It's really hard to get above average value out of them because this is the meta right now.
If you manage to setup enough bleeding Orianna is a very good engine card.
Her basestrength is a bit on the low side so maybe a small buff would be justified here?

Tried testing the vampire archetype too and from what little games I played I lost most of them and I have to say the low tempo, mostly midrange plays are so frustrating that I just gave up. Found myself getting in the range of 50-60 points when uninterrupted by my opponent and everything went right which is pretty underwhelming considering I still lost. But it's no surprise.

The only engine you have that plays for over 1 point per turn is Orianna. Garkains are pretty good for 4p cards but they're pretty much your R1/R3 win con with portal. That's not really the issue though because this "archetype" has no real finishers or high tempo plays. Apparently they tried to "fix" this by making Gael an individually broken card by undercosting its provisions but it's still not enough to carry the deck.

Crimson curse is still a complete joke of a card since you have to give up at least a 4 point body to get decent value out of a 9 provision card. This means you get to break even at 13 points in a maximum of 2*2 point boosts per turn which is almost impossible in most normal play situations unless you play it with Detlaff in a long R3. Even getting so far as to play it requires at least 2-3 turns of setup so you don't lose any points on rows with no vampires. And after all that work, assuming your opponent didn't seize or muzzle or lock your Detlaff, they can still deny your boosts AFTER you play it since it only gets to proc at the start of your NEXT turn which gives them ample opportunity to destroy whatever vampires you have on one row and deny you half of those points.

This is so ridiculous I simply can't believe anyone actually gave this card a second thought while they wasted their time improving vampire tagged units.

The most exciting change for me in patch 3.2 was the MO vampire archetype.
Giving Detlaff 3 bleed and 3 charges is such a cool design well done Gwent team!
On the positive side this leader went from unplayable (from a competative standpoint) to tier 2-ish.
It can't compete with decks from NR (Foltest/Meve) or NG hyperthin (Ardal/Calveit) which have answers against everything (high tempo, removal, reset, engines etc.)

The problems I face (aside from a lot removal) are high tempo plays with simple bronze cards such as blue stripes and fire scorpion.
I'd put the Speartip duo and Golyat in the deck to keep up with these plays but hey are only raw value and do nothing.
It feels kind of sad MO struggels to play against 4-6p cards while playing 8-14p cards in return.
These cards definitly need a redesign or must have lower provisions

Yes, the change to Detlaff is great and does provide a cool Vampire archetype. Unfortunately however MO as a faction are still quite weak, so as you mentioned struggling to keep up with just bronze cards is a side effect of that.

CDPR will re work monsters like they are doing with every faction unfortunately this will be another patch of low MO play though.

Here's my personal breakdown of the vampires.
The cards that are underlined I'd consider to be good cards in this archetype.

1 Bruxa: it's a 5 for 4 with thrive which is good
2 Plumard: is really good 6 for 4 or a 7 for 4 if you get bonding

3 Garkain: good and cheap engine card which have synergy with bleeding
4 Nekurat: good engine but in most matchups it's only a 5 for 5
5 Alp: bloodmoon is bad so this card is as well
6 Fleder: is good with Gernichora but not with vampires
7 Gael: can brick but if you manage to play the ability it will reach good to insane value
8 Queen of the night: good auto-include gold card it's a 7 for 9 and it can remove a lock, bleeding or vitality
9 Protofleder: good card with dominance
10 Orianna: auto-include in Detlaff vampire deck with a lot of bleeding on the board you'll get very good value

11 Katakan: so-so it's a 8 for 9 with thrive and it puts 2 vampires on the board which will give a extra bleed for Orianna
12 Regis Bloodlust: good removal but expensive
13 Regis Higher vampire: expensive and not good in every matchup
14 Detlaff Higher vampire: the Kayran combo is bad in this meta: muzzle/Ardal, Bloody Baron etc.
15 Regis: haven't tried a vampire deck with this card but it's insane in SK with Greatswords

All in all there are good cards among them but nothing outragious.
Some changes i'd like to see:

- Fleder change to the old Nekurat (drain a enemy by 1).
- Orianna could get a buff to 5 strength and no row requirement.
- Katakan should go from 9p to 7-8p to make it playable.
- Detlaff Higher vampire should be buffed to 6 and perhaps lowered to 9p.

Dominance is the keyword in this archetype:

A Adda Striga: not consistent enough it's a 8 or a 3 (shouldn't this be a vampire instead of a beast?)
B Wild Hunt Riders: good for thinning
C Imlerith: not good it's a 8 for 5 that probably gets removed or muzzled
D Nithral: good against summoning circle and portal if you have dominance it can be a 9 for 6 in some matchups
E Wild hunt Hound: a 6 for 5 which can do removal is good but no vampire synergy
F Wild hunt Navigator: 6 for 4 which is good but no synergy with vampires

In order to get dominance you either play consume or tall units.
Consume & vampires is the best with deathwish and requires more bronze cards while tall units are costly with provisions.
From here it depends how much provisions you have left and which leader you play.
If you play consume/deathwish you might want to play Unseen Elder and maybe cut Orianna out for somehing else.
The Crones trio are auto include in MO decks and Parasite is good removal or to gain dominance.

Last edited:
What if Blood Moon boosted "lowest" instead of random

Blood moon is to low tempo and vulnerable to removal. It would be playable if it boost your side of the board and damages the opponent side
Post automatically merged:

Here's my personal breakdown of the vampires.
The cards that are underlined I'd consider to be good cards in this archetype.

1 Bruxa: it's a 5 for 4 with thrive which is good
2 Plumard: is really good 6 for 4 or a 7 for 4 if you get bonding

3 Garkain: good and cheap engine card which have synergy with bleeding
4 Nekurat: good engine but in most matchups it's only a 5 for 5
5 Alp: bloodmoon is bad so this card is as well
6 Fleder: bad card it plays into removal and only works well with deathwish
7 Gael: can easily brick but if you manage to play the ability it will reach good to insane value
8 Queen of the night: good auto-include gold card it's a 7 for 9 and it can remove a lock, bleeding or vitality
9 Protofleder: good card with dominance
10 Orianna: auto-include in Detlaff vampire deck with a lot of bleeding on the board you'll get very good value

11 Katakan: so-so it's a 8 for 9 with thrive so you need tall units to get the most out of it
12 Regis Bloodlust: good removal but expensive
13 Regis Higher vampire: expensive and not good in every matchup
14 Detlaff Higher vampire: the Kayran combo is bad in this meta: muzzle/Ardal, Bloody Baron etc.
15 Regis: haven't tried a vampire deck with this card but it's insane in SK with Greatswords

All in all there are good cards among them but nothing outragious.
Some changes i'd like to see:

- Fleder changed to the old Nekurat (drain a enemy by 1).
- Orianna could get a buff to 5 strength and no row requirement.
- Katakan should go from 9p to 7-8p to make it playable.
- Detlaff Higher vampire should be buffed to 6 and perhaps lowered to 9p.

Dominance is the keyword in this archetype:

A Adda Striga: 8 for 8p but it's good removal (shouldn't this be a vampire instead of a beast?)
B Wild Hunt Riders: good for thinning
C Imlerith: not good it's a 8 for 5 that probably gets removed or muzzled
D Nithral: good against summoning circle and portal if you have dominance it can be a 9 for 6 in some matchups
E Wild hunt Hound: a 6 for 5 which can do removal is good but no vampire synergy
F Wild hunt Navigator: 6 for 4 which is good but no synergy with vampires

In order to get dominance you either play consume or tall units.
Consume &vampires is the best with deathwish and requires more bronze cards while tall units are costly with provisions.
From here it depends how much provisions you have left and which leader you play.
If you play consume/deathwish you might want to play Unseen Elder and maybe cut Orianna out for somehing else.
The Crones trio are auto include in MO decks and Parasite is good removal or to gain dominance.

Edit Adda Striga is not consistent enough. It's a 8 or a 3. It's terrible in a short round.

Here's my deck + guide:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/30454

Last edited:
Blood moon is to low tempo and vulnerable to removal. It would be playable if it boost your side of the board and damages the opponent side

Edit Adda Striga is not consistent enough. It's a 8 or a 3. It's terrible in a short round.

Here's my deck + guide:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/30454

The deck is doing quite well actually.
I have 67,75% winrate with it.

Top Bottom