Monsters in The Witcher 3

+
@ Marcin
Could you please at least tell us if there will be a lot of new monsters or just 2-3 of them like HoS? Pleeeeeeease

HoS adds new monsters, but from what I heard and have seen so far, it are all only completely new enemies, absolutely nothign at all from the previous games, which would so perfectly complement the Witcher 3 areas and which would be so incredible needed, to make out of those boring dull empty areas that currently have like 90% always everywhere only the same few enemies a much more interesting and varied experience that would be alot more fun to explore, if the game would provide with a much bigger varied enemy list from the previous games also more nostalgia in areas ,where the creatures from the previous game would fit perfectly into the game.

Best Example: Velens Marshlands and Swamps ... instead of puttign there everywhere just only Drowners... it would be nice to see, like in the Witcher 1 Swamp to find there also alot of Bloedzuigers, Echinops/Archespores and Vodyanoi maybe as part of a contract quest or so, which to revive through a ancient ritual their Dagon that you killed in W1.

The areas aroudn the towns like Novigrad, Oxenfurt are perfect places for alot more night creatures and demons (why is there no Monster Category for Demons, as geralt clarely calls a Hym a Demon?), like the various vampires and sub vampires as also spiritual enemies that arise from evilness like Alps, Bruxas, Fleders, Garkyns, Graveirs, Barghests, Hellhounds, Cemetaurs

The forests and plain around Velen/Skellige and ingeneral into any caves ect are perfect places to put int there creatures, like Kikimores and Vys.

Enemies, like Strigas, Manticore, Frightener suit perfectly as Contract Quests.

TW3 could also need more Beasts, more than just only Wolves, Dogs n Bears... what about Sharks, what about Warthogs, what about Snakes, what about Scorpions. HoS gives us giant spiders (yay^^)

Its pretty much obvious, that B&W will improve the whole vampire section, but it would be nice, if the rest from the previous games doesn't get forgotten.

HoS so far brings this as new enemies from what Ive seen and heard:

- Caretaker
- Toad Prince
- Arachnomorphs
- Mages (this suggests hopefully also NECROMANCERS that summon stuff like Skeletons to let them attack us)

I can't help but feel really disappointed about this game:

- They said 80+ monsters, we have like 20.
- The fact that monster variety is ok until 30% of the game but then you are fighting the same things for the 70% rest of the game.
- Drowners lv 30 and wolves lv 16 is just too much. We level up TO SEE NEW THINGS.
- They said 90 animations just for geralt's combat we have like 25.
- The fact that the combat at lv1 and combat at lv 35 is almost the same thing.

It seems like devs these days forgot why we have levels, they want to put level system in every game just for the sake of it.

We level up to see new stuff, ESPECIALLY monsters.

If I am lv 30 I want to have something different than drowners, wolves and endregas posing a constant threat.

Suggestion:

Special monster from contracts should AT LEAST have new/unique attacks that are crucial to the fight and attack patterrns that the player needs to learn. Making them a copy paste of other monsters is a very poor way to go.

Last edited:
More Monsters and the forests and swamps and dark alleys of ghost villages filled with new interesting monsters is an important task for programmers ( or modders, always think of the great and awesome "Fallout / Skyrim monster mod" which added about ONE HUNDRET truly awesome and interesting creatures in high quality 3D models and animations - some monsters were clearly ripped out of other games for example Stalker Oblivion lost, some are truly special and handcrafted like the Xenomorphs from Aliens, and Terminators - ok in Witcher we should stay a little bit more lore conform and a Terminator T-800 might be a little strange.... :D ) but you know what I mean - more monsters mean more exitement thrill and diversity.

The more monsters there are, the more interesting and fascinating the game gets, the more "going out for a hunt and saving and protecting innocent villagers and farmers" feeling comes up, the more survival horror you feel when riding around with Roach through a stormy night never knowing what lurks behind the next bushes.
And some Level 7 Drowners are not really............an exciting threat and a thrill but just annoying "obstacles" which stands in your way and need to be pushed aside with one sword stroke.

Imagine something really new and never seen before enemys, for example a steam-powered Terminator-like robot who has gone crazy and once made by some dwarfen engineer to protect his house, or some "typical" zombies which look like decayed corpses as seen in Oblivion or Resident Evil made by a Cat or Viper School Witcher who tries teaching himself necromanty magic because he lost his wife and tries everything to get her back - and voilà there you get some classic marshland and dark woods with classic zombies in a small area around the Witchers House for some Resident Evil style gameplay, and there are so many creatures from Witcher 1 that can be portet to Witcher 3.

Especially this one is truly creepy:
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Bruxa

This Witcher 1 Bruxy is like the disturbing scene in Staney Cubricks Shining with the nude zombie in the bathroom (THAT was one creepy movie - I needed my pepper spray with me in the bathroom after watching this movie!), seeing such a corpse like create completely nude but alive is truly disturbing and frightening.

Hmmm Witcher 3 is still the best game ever :) but of course it would be truly enhanced with adding some monsters...

Can anyone please convert this mod for Witcher, maybe as Alpha or just for fun and lore-conform:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...ajax/modimages/?id=35631&user=1&gid=110&pUp=1

Imagine wandering around in Velen or Skellige and seeing always new and exciting monsters, meeting no monster type two times, every single monster one would be uniquè experience and only in one place... I can even see a "Klapperscheuche" from Oblivions Shivering Isles on these pictures :) don`t know what the english word for this skeleton creatur is because there is no translation for this in google LOL.
Awesome stuff.
Endless diversity and thrill and a new meaning of the word "hunt". Imagine a Witcher World full of different and creepy monsters out there, and just Velen and Novigrad are safe... ;)
And every time Geralt whistles for Roach to go for a ride, something new and completely different is lurking behind every bush and in every deep forest.
Awesome!

Yes Witcher 3 would get an extreme gameplay enhancement and overall exitement and thrill from a higher monster type diversity.

I can't help but feel really disappointed about this game:

- They said 80+ monsters, we have like 20.
- The fact that monster variety is ok until 30% of the game but then you are fighting the same things for the 70% rest of the game.
- Drowners lv 30 and wolves lv 16 is just too much. We level up TO SEE NEW THINGS.
- They said 90 animations just for geralt's combat we have like 25.
- The fact that the combat at lv1 and combat at lv 35 is almost the same thing.

It seems like devs these days forgot why we have levels, they want to put level system in every game just for the sake of it.

We level up to see new stuff, ESPECIALLY monsters.

If I am lv 30 I want to have something different than drowners, wolves and endregas posing a constant threat.

Suggestion:

Special monster from contracts should AT LEAST have new/unique attacks that are crucial to the fight and attack patterrns that the player needs to learn. Making them a copy paste of other monsters is a very poor way to go.

I'd bet money at this point that they did have 80 monsters planned and 90 combat animations, but the realities of creating such a huge game meant stuff got axed. So we get lvl 20-30 necrophages and drowners all over the place. Monster variety is something of a letdown in the game, especially with the smaller types. There should have been at least 10-12 more of the smaller enemies. You see the same design repetition in the skill tree and alchemy. We get tiers of skills, bomb and oil types rather than new types altogether. It's all basically designed as padding.

Last edited:
just wish there were more vampires, and more importantly there creepy crypts.! there were just not ENOUGH contracts in W3. If cdp were to release a dlc that JUST added more monster hunting alone, i would be VERY happy..!

But Drowners aren't a single monster type. There are two functionally distinct 'threads' and each of these has multiple models... compare the level 4 drowners from White Orchard and parts of Velen to the Level 18 ones in Velen and Skellige, and again to the different Level 28+ ones in Novigrad and Skellige.

These are "different" monsters ~ they require as much new modelling and animation rigging as a Nekker does ~ or a Ghoul. You can tell the 'ballpark' level of most monsters just by looking, which is something perhaps overlooked in some complaints... this doesn't happen by magic, nor by accident.

But Drowners aren't a single monster type. There are two functionally distinct 'threads' and each of these has multiple models... compare the level 4 drowners from White Orchard and parts of Velen to the Level 18 ones in Velen and Skellige, and again to the different Level 28+ ones in Novigrad and Skellige.

These are "different" monsters ~ they require as much new modelling and animation rigging as a Nekker does ~ or a Ghoul. You can tell the 'ballpark' level of most monsters just by looking, which is something perhaps overlooked in some complaints... this doesn't happen by magic, nor by accident.

Sorry, but they move the same way, have the same attack patterns, you can use the same strategies. How are they magically so superior in power than the Griffin you find at the beginning?

I know something about modelling and I seriously doubt that changing those drowners required the same amount of work as that of a new model.

Rule should be Griffin > Drowners, Rotfiends, Nekkers. Of course a game doesn't need to be perfectly logical in its scaling but in this game they didn't even care.

By using this logic I could put a wolf with a scar(just to be different) at level 40 and call it the last boss. It's very poor design.

Enemies CAN be reutilized in a smart way to make the game fun and diverse, like using the same base model and increment it a bit, make them a bit bigger and add new attacks and behaviors.

Power needs to be justified.

Good way to reuse monsters -> Increment their base model and add more attacks that are significant to the combat. It's waay faster than creating an entirely new monster.
Bad way -> Just add levels and stats to older monsters.

Last edited:
This Witcher 1 Bruxy is like the disturbing scene in Staney Cubricks Shining with the nude zombie in the bathroom (THAT was one creepy movie - I needed my pepper spray with me in the bathroom after watching this movie!), seeing such a corpse like create completely nude but alive is truly disturbing and frightening.

I'd like to meet with a bruxas again, but under condition, that they will look the same as they did in the first game and their appearance will not be censored.

On the Gwent card, for example, bruxa is shown in panties, and that doesn't makes me happy.

The problem is that this game needs more basic monsters. When you go in the wilds to explore, you ALWAYS find the same creatures: wolves, endregas, drowners and few others! I hoped that every regions had its fauna.. So I expected to find some different monsters in the swampy areas... No, just more drowners!!
The same goes for Skellige! I thought it had its own bestiary... Instead, if you don't consider the recoloured ones ( white wolf, white bear.) the only enemy you can find ONLY in skellige are the sirens!! Just them and no others!
And during the night the situation doesn't change... I expected to find wild werewolves and vampires. Instead, they are just quest- related and during the night you find the same enemies you find during the day.
Water areas: same matter. The only enemies you find in the water are drowners and sirens... All this water in the game and we have no monster fishes, sea serpents, krakens....
In a game of 100 + hours if you always find the same monsters at any level ( level 1 drowners - level 35 drowners) become really annoying and boring.
I fear that in the base game what have been done is done and cannot change.... But I expect at least to find a completely new bestiary in Toussaint..... If also some new monsters will be added in the original areas, I will be super happy :)
So please CDPR more efforts on the bestiary for Blood and Wine!

True this game needs really more variation on monsters...its really boring atm.
What i did not understand.... they know witcher 3 have not much monsters, its a big criticism point, so why did they put the two new kinds only in HoS areas ? Why not spread the in the entire world here and there ?

What I really would love from the next expansion is that they'll add new monsters also in the base game. Different ones in every areas. For example:

- FORESTS: giant, hobolds, griggs, tree creatures, hydra..

- MOUNTAINS: manticores, dracolizard, roc..

- SWAMPS: bloedzuiger, giant centipede, archespore..

-WATER: serpents, Ilycoris, amphisbaena, wipper, kelpie, aeschna..

- NIGHT: bruxa, alp, garkain, mula, fleder, barghest, werewolves, werecat, wererat...

Well, the monster hunting is the weakest part of the game for sure. The monsters are all the same. And there is no need of any tactic or specific witcher hunting methods when you can simply lefclick them to death.
I am a bit dissapointed that the "grimdark" spirit of the witcher world feels only in story line.

I'd like to meet with a bruxas again, but under condition, that they will look the same as they did in the first game and their appearance will not be censored.

On the Gwent card, for example, bruxa is shown in panties, and that doesn't makes me happy.

And it defies logic.

I really hope CDPR is reading our comments about the lacking of monsters variety in the long term and adds a lot of new monsters in BaW..... And maybe also 5-6 new basic monsters in the original areas of the game! they said there were around 80 different monsters in the game excluding the subspecies. The real number now is 43 including Hearts of stone... I hope that with the last expansion the final total number will be 60! Please CDPR listen to us!:affection:

Top Bottom