Moral choices in The Witcher

+
I had the same problem, I didn't really want to kill Siegfried, he had this I-can-bathe-in-the-blood-of-my-enemies-but-I-have-the-heart-of-a-5-year-old innocence. A darker version of Cpt. Carrrot from the Discworld. So I ended up cutting through an army of squirrels with the blissfull knowledge that I would be re-playing the game on hard mode.Now I can't wait for the patch to come out to see what will happen if I let Abigail be killed by the peasants. DON'T TELL ME!

It's one of the more compelling parts of this game. The choices you make and the consequences later on. I'm playing different difficulty level this time and still contemplating choices. Stayed neutral in last game, although there were times when I helped one side or the other. About the only choice I may (and may is the right word) repeat is choosing Triss over Shani. Shani really has some anger management issues and for someone who was playing hide the sausage with Thaler for crying out loud, she seems to have a real problem with Triss. I too was a bit surprised at the outcome of the blue-eyed lass quest last time. I have to complement the dev team, though. They managed to make both the Order and the Squirrels complete assholes at times. Maybe it's easier being neutral than I thought. Neither side seems above slaughtering the innocents. Both sides have decent characters and real blowhards. ;D

Your choices also will affect the other NPCs specially the women. LOLOn the more serious side, I really admire how CPR implemented this kind of freedom. In some RPGs the outcome and storytelling doesn't change that much only in some dialogue but that's it.SPOILER ALERT!In the end, do you remember what the King of the Hunt said? From the beginning I was with you....... In the city you passed and accused everyone...... Now that moved me so much. I bet there is a different version of that encounter with the King.

thelostdunmer said:
SPOILER ALERT!In the end, do you remember what the King of the Hunt said? From the beginning I was with you....... In the city you passed and accused everyone...... Now that moved me so much. I bet there is a different version of that encounter with the King.
There is... I didn't get that, but mine was really moving too. The best thing about this game is the depth - I mean the King of the Hunt knew precisely what I was thinking when I made those decisions, even though it was never realized by the other affected NPCs. It really is unbelievable how much thought they packed into this game.

Sometimes it's hard to decide when I have no clues to balance my reasons.Triss or Shani... I decided for Triss cos I felt she might be the right and resolute woman at Geralt's side. Next time I try ShaniSquirrels vs Order... I decided for the squirrles cos I sympathize with those who are suppressed. But there had been several situations when I regret that I didn't side with Siegfried.Accusation of Thaler - pro Thaler cos de Wett is an arrogant Hundsfott ;DBlue Eye... I was determined to fulfil the mission her brother gave me but when I heard her side ot the story I changed my mind. Next time I remain dutiful.Sacrify the Holy Cow ;D in Act 4 - no, I don't want to break the heart of all the cow fans
DivineOne said:
This is life man, some times u have to choose and that's it :D!!!!
okay... that was very revealing.

I am still in act 3 of my first game so i don't know how my choices will affect the game i chose the witch over the village because the villagers was either too stupid or too corrupted , after all the witch wouldn't be there without them, i prefer the squirrels over the knights because i hate violence , knights are looking for action while the elves are forced into military conflict , Thaler looks like a guy i can use in the future , after all he talks more than everyone else , i also chose Triss over Shani because she looks powerful enough to protect the boy and i know i can fight her if things turn wrong , on the other hand how you can fight a nurse? I love making choices and all those a made where thought well at the time they appeared , i can not predict the future and i bet potential enemies can not too.

Well, I have played lots of other games (rpg's and adventures), but this is the first one that did it in an effective way.
Zabushant said:
The mark of a good roleplaying game.

SaLi

Forum veteran
Darkelve said:
Do you also feel at certain events that you're head is about to explode thinking, or your heart is about to break?
Sure!I was wondering about decisions all the time.I think it's realy incerdible that the game can "move" us in so many diferent ways.IMHO it's new quality in computer game entertainment ;DRgrds!

I love this game, really. So don't take this the wrong way.But I am curious as to why most monsters are too easy and then there are handful that are too hard? I mean, having some weak monsters is cool. And having a few tough enemies is always good too. But it seems like there is no middle ground, it's either fall asleep while you fight too easy or reload the game a dozen times too hard. Where's the fun in that?It just doesn't seem like there is any balance to fights or variety to encounters. There are some gimmick tactics to "boss encounters" but the rest of the fights are just hit stuff, rinse, repeat, hit stuff, rinse, repeat... Anybody else feel me?

I understand what you mean about some of the fights being way too hard. While I was in chapter 2 I was flying through the swamps, barely caring when a group of drowners attacked me but as soon as a plant showed up I got pwned. When I reloaded I made sure to drink a potion before I got to that area so I could survive. I dont mind there being a trick to the boss fights but when the monster info says a boss will be highly immune to one magic attack should mean that you dont have to use that attack to win *cough*chapter 1 boss*cough*. I wish the monsters would scale with your level like they did in Mass Effect so you constantly have fights that are challenging but wont just pwn you.I also wish you chould change the difficulty mid game (at least on reload) so you dont get stuck in one spot cause you did not level up your character correctly.

So far I'm still in the 1st chapter, but I disagree with you. Imo all depends on the style you play the game. At the beginning I tried to play it like the Dungeon Siege II - just rush into the crowd and kill'em all. It was perfect for berghasts, but not for ghules in the crypt ;) . Then I started to pull them out one by one and it was much easier even without potions. And it was much more fun.

MOST of the time I'd like to play on hard, but be able to swap down to medium if I just don't seem to be able to master some situation. I do wish they had a feature that let you adjust game difficulty whenever you wanted to.

LRP said:
MOST of the time I'd like to play on hard, but be able to swap down to medium if I just don't seem to be able to master some situation. I do wish they had a feature that let you adjust game difficulty whenever you wanted to.
First of all I somewhat agree with the OP but really some of those 'difficult' mosters are alot easier when you know how to handle them. The 'Beast' is a prime example. I almost gave up on this title due to that doggy till I came hear and read some posts on how to deal with him after that I defeated him easly on the second try. (First time lagged out and got stunned :p )The real reason Im posting is to ask how are you able to "swap down to medium" ?

I am sorry I did not word that right. I would LIKE TO be able to change difficulty setting whenever I want. TO be able to swap out hard for medium on some really difficult situations. Especially on the first play through when one is becoming 'acquainted' with a new monster type or situation. One thing I really admire are some of the very very different monsters they do have in this game that are very hard indeed for someone that is not a 'twitch' gamer and has to figure out how to fight them.. Echinops is one example, figuring out how to close into melee range with them, or in chapter four the giant centipedes were very difficult for me until I figured out what to do. I ran into three of them at once, and it was reload time twice, until then on third try first use potions before getting into their range.Most times it would be fun to play on hard, especially after you figure something out, but then to go back to medium as you figure out what to do exactly. My first game, I am playing on medium but often wish I could switch to hard, my second game is on hard because I already know what to expect. I realize they tied speed of leveling (making it slower the harder you make the game) and other things to the difficulty setting, hence being unable to change the setting at will.IMHO this is one thing they definitely need to fix in future games and xpacs. The ability to swap out your game settings at will. Luckily this game has so many different outcomes, playing through a second or third time (at a harder setting) is no big deal.

The game is probably engineered so that the main quest line opens up enough exp to be able to finish the game, albeit with oils, potions, etc. One thing I really disliked about Oblivion was the fact that you could change the difficulty mid game, as was suggested above. To me it kind of gives a fakeness to it; if something is giving you a hard time, just make it easier! Really takes away from the experience in my opinion. Although I do agree about the lack of a middle ground, especially the swamp. The plants are overpowered, lol.

Top Bottom