More Dredd than Blade Runner

+

Guest 3842833

If I had to describe the feeling of Deus Ex as a game it would be like that of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner. A movie I have no doubt influenced the both the setting and tone of the game. A good thing too, Blade Runner was an excellent movie. Cyberpunk reminds me of Dredd, especially the part where they used an inhaler to active slowmo

If you haven't seen Dredd or Blade Runner, you really should. Let me know what you guys think.

seen both Dredd and the Blade Runner films, love them all and was hoping all along this game would be heavily influence by the both of them.

I have been very happy for a while now

Guest 3842833

seen both Dredd and the Blade Runner films, love them all and was hoping all along this game would be heavily influence by the both of them.

I have been very happy for a while now
Blade Runner got a pretty good sequel now all we need is a sequel to Dredd.

Guest 3842833

It's not, true, but i don't really see 2049 as a traditional sequel to the original either.
It showed a lot of respect to the original if it came out a dadace or so sooner I would've thought it was made by the same people.

I don't really see this at all. Maybe the Dredd graphic character, but not the movies. The movies were -- well, I'm not quite sure what they were supposed to be, other than a bit of satire.

Guest 3842833

I don't really see this at all. Maybe the Dredd graphic character, but not the movies. The movies were -- well, I'm not quite sure what they were supposed to be, other than a bit of satire.
The 2012 version of Dredd certainly didn't seem like satire to me. It was a gritty futuristic interpretation of las Angeles. A future ruled by gangs and drugs. Deus Ex also had a bit of that but it was more focused in the themes of what it means to be human; just like Blade Runner. Where as Dredd was more about bringing law and order to a place that had long forgotten it. That what I think Cyberpunk is going to be like.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense to Blade Runner, But I think that we're all a little weary of constant rain and darkness, It's time for some dumb fun, Dredd and Robocop come to mind.

Sild

Ex-moderator
I think there's definitely similarity between the new Dredd movie and Cyberpunk 2077. I won't delve into specifics however I remember seeing the movie for the second time only a short while before the gameplay reveal from Gamescom 2018 and there were several instances when I remarked how much it resembled the movie. Might as well have been set in Megacity One.

The 2017 version of Dredd certainly didn't seem like satire to me. It was a gritty futuristic interpretation of las Angeles. A future ruled by gangs and drugs. Deus Ex also had a bit of that but it was more focused in the themes of what it means to be human; just like Blade Runner. Where as Dredd was more about bringing law and order to a place that had long forgotten it. That what I think Cyberpunk is going to be like.
Maybe I need to go back and re-watch the new movie. The only thing I really remember from it is that Olivia Thirlby was a good looking judge in training.

For me, the game so far looks very much like a mix of 2012 Dredd and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The Blader Runner-y, trademark cyberpunk soaked-and-dark-with-neon-everywhere look and feel hasn't been shown that much yet, but it's there in some degree.

Dredd 2012 is a good one, and it definitely captures the harsh reality of megacities, like Night City.

Perhaps the different districts will also contain references to different CP films? Japantown - Blade Runner, the Corpo district - Johnny Mnemonic, and so on.

Comparing the 2 movies it does look and sound more like the dredd movie, There is still a lot of blade runner in it, Spinners, the look of the corpo agents and the general mega corporation corruption, on the other hand it also reminds me a lot of the og robocop movies and Johnny memonic, and I think that’s the beauty of it, it’s all that we love about cyberpunk coming together.

The 2012 version of Dredd with Karl Urban was actually pretty good Cyberpunk and not satire at all. I recommend it for watching. However, I felt they were cutting costs by having almost the entire movie happen in the same megabuilding. Thats the only grief I have with it.
ma-ma-dredd.jpg

ps. I have never considered either the original Blade Runner, or the sequel to be good examples of Cyberpunk. They are both strongly based around transhumanism themes rather than cyberpunk. As such they have more in common with post-cyberpunk. In the original the replicants lament that they aren't humans and that their lives are ending as designed due to shorter lifespan, going for a short killing spree while looking for an answer. The sequel is about the possibility of a replicant having natural offspring (a strong transhumanism theme if there ever was one), with a second transhumanist side-theme of K forming an emotional relationship with a holographic projection AI.

It's not, true. But i don't really see 2049 as a traditional sequel to the original either.
The plots are directly linked, and 2049 cannot exist independently plot-wise. That is about as sequel as you get.

Last edited:
Muh. I rather it take inspiration from the game book, which mean it can be ANYTHING. As long as it's NEW, and fresh, and feel Unique. Not some ''Ahh it remind me of that!'' .

Sild

Ex-moderator
I have never considered neither the original Blade Runner, nor the sequel to be good examples of Cyberpunk. They are both strongly based around transhumanism themes rather than cyberpunk. As such they have more in common with post-cyberpunk.

Transhumanism is a philosophical movement that advocates for the transformation of the human condition by developing and making widely available sophisticated technologies to greatly enhance human intellect and physiology. (wikipedia)
transhumanism - the theory that science and technology can help human beings develop beyond what is physically and mentally possible at the present time (Cambridge dictionary).

So whenever a character decides to implant himself those shiny Kiroshi Optics enhancement it is transhumanism in its most basic form. Cyberpunk can and has been described as transhumanism gone wrong. And there were very few things right in Blade Runner.

Transhumanism is a philosophical movement that advocates for the transformation of the human condition by developing and making widely available sophisticated technologies to greatly enhance human intellect and physiology. (wikipedia)
transhumanism - the theory that science and technology can help human beings develop beyond what is physically and mentally possible at the present time (Cambridge dictionary).

I think its wrong to take terminology out of context. In fact I always hate it when it happens.

Transhumanism is about evolving humanity via technological means to something greater, better. Beyond human. This is positive development, and thus sees technology ultimately in a positive light as ascension.

Cyberpunk is all about technology seen in a negative light. When technology is NOT the saviour people want it to be. It controls, oppresses and enslaves people. Corporations control the technology, so Corporations are evil.

There is a fundamental phllosophical difference here. It is a "glass half full or glass half empty" kind of difference. When you install implants into you in a cyberpunk setting, it can be likened to giving away pieces of yourself so you are 'less' than you were before. In transhumanist setting it can be likened to 'improving yourself', so you are 'more' than you were before.

Some transhumanism may be present in cyberpunk stories sure, especially in those that want to resolve the story in a positive way. Transhumanism can turn the setting around and give a "good" ending to a cyberpunk story. For example in Ghost in the shell (the manga at least) the protagonist is a full-body replacement cyborg, who ponders her own existence. "The only thing that makes me feel human is the way I am treated." The story culminates with the protagonist fusing with the puppeteer (an AI) thus becoming something more than human. A transhumanist ending.

Ghost in the shell 2 explores what happens after very interestingly (although its probably very confusing for your average reader), as in the end it is revealed that both the protagonist and the antagonists are merely different digital instances of the original Major Kusanagi (who is now basically an AI).

Last edited:
Top Bottom