Morkvarg: Heart of Terror vs. Living Armor Interaction

+
I'll preface this by saying I was playing a gimmicky MO deck, but I'm facing SK and I have a living armor card on the board. Now if you hit living armor once (down to 9 armor) he goes to 9 in red for his base power. Now riddle me this, why when Morkvarg hits my living armor, Mork gets to ping living armor 10 times before it registers as the card being damaged?

I don't think Living Armor has the ability to be damaged without first being Locked. His base power is what changes whenever he gains or loses armor.

It's working as intended. Living Armor's strength is always equal to it's armor value and thus it doesn't register as being damaged, unless cards like Wild Boar of the Sea do register it as damaged, in which case it would be inconsistent.

PS. Also updated the topic and moved the thread to the gameplay forums.

DRK3

Forum veteran
That's really strange, because i think i saw that interaction (Morkvarg HoT vs Living Armour) a few months ago, and it would only ping once (as the Living Armour's appears damaged when below 10 and boosted when above)

Maybe in some patch between then and now they changed it, but it should not work like that, it should stop as soon as there's red.

That's really strange, because i think i saw that interaction (Morkvarg HoT vs Living Armour) a few months ago, and it would only ping once (as the Living Armour's appears damaged when below 10 and boosted when above)

Maybe in some patch between then and now they changed it, but it should not work like that, it should stop as soon as there's red.

I think your mistake is in the order of operation. The red doesn’t appear until after the attack stops. For example, bleed takes a hit point but then it gets put right back. With HOT damage cannot be done until all armor is removed, at which point the HP is adjusted to armor level. Armor level being 0 the HP goes from 9 to 0 and the card dies.

All in all, it makes living armor a pretty useless card for its provision cost. I thought it would be a good tech against SK but its pretty much useless against everything because every time it takes a hit against any faction it loses a point, so the armor doesnt matter really. Yeah you can play it with Caranthir, but once again most decks can answer it cuz it basically just operates as a tall card that can be easily removed.

It has to do with the way abilities are resolved in this game, which is rather counter-intuitive, but each action plays until the end and only then another action resolves.
For examples a similar interaction with Regis killing a deathwish unit that spawns a token (like Harpy Egg), even if the egg dies, the harpy appears only after all waves are finished, even though the harpy might have died aswell.
The same mechanic happens when you duel a Redenian Elite, Kiki worker or Skjall, you'd think that once the initial hit knocks down their armor/trigger berserk the unit would die, but the duel continues like normal and only then the Expose/Berserk resolves.

All in all, it makes living armor a pretty useless card for its provision cost. I thought it would be a good tech against SK but its pretty much useless against everything because every time it takes a hit against any faction it loses a point, so the armor doesnt matter really. Yeah you can play it with Caranthir, but once again most decks can answer it cuz it basically just operates as a tall card that can be easily removed.

Caranthir + Living armour isn't great. Saer Quan, Cow Champion or Beast are much better value if you consider power/cost. I was actually surprised to see Wangid play that synergy on Gwent open.

Like already stated by others, Mork should ping Living armour only once. Mork stops attacking if unit is damaged and Living armour dies when loosing it's armour, just like Yghern basically.

Caranthir and living armor were great... especially in short rounds. You are comparing it to cards that are not an immediate effect, and (save for The Beast) can be killed by normal removal effects.

Living Armor is a good card because it is an easy to support card, has and almost nobody runs decks with its direct counter, Iris Shade. In addition it has a unique set of in hand and on board immunities (Shilard, bleeding, resets, and lock half of the time.)

Living Armor is bad because it runs tall and got a heavy dose of the nerf hammer. Last year at this time it was a 10s for 10p.

As far as functioning, it works correctly. In the fighting game genre, you have the parry and you have super armor. Both absorb attacks, but you take recoverable damage when you use super armor, no damage when you parry. In Gwent, this system abounds as well, Veil parries statuses and cards like Olgierd Immortal parry damage. Armored Drakkar and living armor act like super armor.

Ironically, i have seen the Artis Sheldon Skaggs interaction in this game once... Sheldon does full board damage before Artis damages him.

Morkvarg stops attacking only when he sees blood spilled, and since the enchanted armor has no blood he doesn't stop. xD
Idk it's very confusing how that works.. Logically I'd assume as soon as the unit goes below it's base power it's red and considered "damaged" thus he should stop attacking.
I remember a situation where I had a unit protected by Sukrus (unit to the left of Sukrus cannot take any damage), and the enemy targeted him (the protected unit) with Morkvarg, Mork ended up hitting him like 5-10 times and saw he can't do shit to him so he stopped. :p he got 0 damage on me from that move (as it should be in that particular case!); Good thing it didn't cause a never-ending loop and a broken game lol.

Morkvarg stops attacking only when he sees blood spilled, and since the enchanted armor has no blood he doesn't stop. xD
Solved by Lore. Can't belive it actually happened.

It is a matter of how cards are resolved one after another. The living Armor only checks its power after Morks done, not with every ping.
I need to test this, but iirc you can save your Living Armor by damging it. SInce he will hit it once, realising the unit is damaged and stops. Aswell as he attacks other allready damaged units with one ping.

Last edited:
Top Bottom