Morkvarg should be nerfed (3 Power and 9 Provision)

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Literally every single SK deck has Morkvarg (and Skirmishers). Are you aware of any SK deck which doesn't have Morkvarg? The answer is most definitely NO. So, if a card is added to every single deck of a faction, isn't it too OP/Broken? Morkvarg should be 3 power and 9 provision (just like Roach) as it gives thinning and tempo with relatively as easy as (or even easier) condition than Roach.

Lets see it objectively. It gives +5 tempo and thinning. The only other card which can give that is Areline who has a condition which is actually much harder because most elves have very low body power and gets eliminated. Even with a tougher condition she costs 9 provision. Morkvag costing 8 provision when it can be triggered by a single bronze card is super broken and I can't believe that
(actually I can. After all it is an SK card)
, this hasn't been seen as a problem and fixed till now.

So, if a card is added to every single deck of a faction, isn't it too OP/Broken?

"Not necessarily" would have been my answer pre-Homecoming. Now, I should say that the card probably provides too much value relative to its provisions. A notorious example is An Craite Marauder. The card itself isn't really OP/broken. It just too easily provides value above its provision costs for a "junk" card. Interestingly, I opened up a whole other discussion about this, just now.

The only other card which can give that is Areline who has a condition which is actually much harder [...]

Hey, I thought you knew better than to compare cards from different factions in a vacuum. You know, apples and oranges. Anyhow, the whole thinning archetype is a problem. Morkvarg is just a tool; a means to an end. The real strength comes from Derran/Birna/Skald. So, I am not sure Morkvarg should be the (only) scapegoat here.

rrc

Forum veteran
Now, I should say that the card probably provides too much value relative to its provisions.
In other words, broken, right? That it needs balancing and adjustment in the provision or the power, right? That was exactly what I meant by "broken"

Hey, I thought you knew better than to compare cards from different factions in a vacuum. You know, apples and oranges.
Dear 4RM3D, I am sorry I was not clear. I didn't compare those cards to say Morgvarg should have a similar condition to summon. What I meant was, to see the efforts needed to get a +5 tempo&thinning card across the faction. While the means and method to achieve a certain power swing should be different for each faction, the amount of efforts and value it provides should be roughly the same by each faction. Otherwise, they are not balanced.

I will give another example. Lets take "summon a copy of the unit from deck" bronzes. Every faction has one and every faction has a different conditions to it.

The easiest of them all is the NG's and hence he takes relatively more provision than other factions to achieve it.
NG: Impera Brigade - 6 provision 3 power. The reason, it doesn't have any condition.
ST: Volunteers: 5 provisions 3 power. The reason, it has a condition to achieve it. It can seem easier, but I have faced opponents more than once where the couldn't do it as I remove their dwarfs. So, the deck should have plenty of dwarfs. Dwarf-Elf-neutral combination can potentially brick you.
MO: Foglet: Same, 5 provions 3 power. Based on a condition and a risky affair too. (If I were to balance it, I would even make it 4 provision, as the foglet can be locked making the other foglet an immediate brick. I don't want to mention Wild Hunt Raiders are they are fking broken and borders on auto-include providing 8 power swing with almost 'no condition')
SK: Shieldmaiden - 6 provision 4 power. Why 4 power? She has a condition associated with it. It is relatively easier condition (she is the perfect candidate for Crach, but sadly people don't need her), but nontheless there is a condition to achieve it. So, for the same 6 provision, she provides 4 power
NR: BS Commondo - 6 provision 4 power. Its an order ability. Order is much riskier, he has synergy with BS Scout.

So, the mechanism is all different, but every faction has a similar concept with power-provision given to them according to the relative ease to achieve a power-swing. Here, I wouldn't argue why Commondo gives 4 power while Brigade only gives 3. Because the mechanisms are different.

Lets come back to Morgvarg and Areline. I am not saying Morgvarg should have some condition like Areline (have x units on board). But Morgvarg's trigger is extremely easy and he can be summoned by a single bronze unit or by a big hoards of gold units or even a leader. With such an easy trigger condition, Morgvarg giving 5 power with only taking 8 provision is IMHO incredibly freaking broken. Moreover, Morgvarg is a beast and can synergize with Beastmaster (I am not saying from GY, but BM can boost Morgvarg to split the boosts between various beasts). So, my suggestion of balancing it will be, Morgvarg should be 9 provision and have 3 power. That is the correct power-provision for such a card with such an ability. Just open gwentup.com and select SK decks. See the any number of decks. They always always ALWAYS have Morkvarg (and Derren and Birna). If every single deck of a faction, irrespective of the leader and archetype being tried, has a particular card, is it not broken?

Anyhow, the whole thinning archetype is a problem.
There is no denying that. Even if it happens (come on.. we all know it will never happen. After all SK is CDPR's favorite faction), Morgvarg is still broken with its power-provision-trigger-condition.

Top Bottom