Motion Sickness Thread with some possible solutions.

+
So, CP2077 is going to be FPP.

Yes, I'm as surprised as you are. My Polish Masters have good reasons, though, and are betting a lot more on this than any of us. Millions in fact.

THAT SAID, motion sickness is real and it sucks. Google led me here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/241285/why-video-games-make-you-feel-sick-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

And I'd be interested in how these solutions work. And if you have any of your own. Solutions that work WHILE in First Person, not INSTEAD OF First Person.

Don't make this a GIVE ME THIRD PERSON AND I'LL BE FINE thread - we have that and posting that will get it deleted and possibly you in trouble. Stay on topic. That's the Rule.

Ranting about how you hate FPP will not make the Devs change their mind - they can see those threads and posts. BUT, trying to find a reasonable solution to a problem that DOESN'T involve a multi-million dollar teardown? That might work.

So yeah, how have you fared with FOV adjustments, framerates, etc? What works best?

Video: Simulation Sickness. Yes, a Real Thing.

A piece from kitguru.

Some more possible remedies.

Some more solutions:

Head Bob on/off

Field of View slider is needed and imperative, for first person, for vehicles, for everything

Increase FPS, make sure you are playing above 60FPS .You can even attach it to a TV if you desire, make sure TV has fast response time as it will cause issues as well)

From Quietwulf:

I suffered extremely nasty motion sickness while attempting to play Half life 2 back in the day.
Only thing that worked for me was Ginger root. You can even get it in tablet form these days.

From RoddyRot:

So I would suggest first and foremost a playable free demo for people who are afraid they cannot cope with the FPV.

From Feanorgandulf:

In my experience motion sickness pills work great but they can cause drowsiness. For me some games are so hectic within 5 minutes even on pills I'm done.

Last edited:
Thanks for making this.

I'll quote myself here, too, so that CDPR can see what I said more easily.

I know you aren't a god, but if there is ANY way you could get in touch with SOMEONE with some pull and beg them to implement a wide FOV slider (110 is ideal) and the ability to disable head bobbing, I would be eternally grateful. You have no idea how much that would help.

CDPR, if anyone is listening to those of us with actual motion sickness (and not those who say they have it so they have an excuse to be anti-FPP, which I'm not saying is the majority but oh boy suddenly theres a lot more of us than I thought), I'm telling you even little adjustments like what I just mentioned can eliminate or drastically reduce the problem.

@Vattier @Marcin Momot

I didn't read that entire article yet, but here's a few options I know have helped in other games, and options I'd like to see here even if they weren't present in other games.

• The ability to turn off headbob/camera shake. This is the biggest thing.
  • WIDE FOV sliders. I know some people will complain that this "makes the game too easy," but it helps a lot. Up to 110 would be ideal. Anything under 90 is a no go for me.
  • Some sort of in-game option to turn the brightness down? Sigil Fey said this helped him out, so I'd be interested to see an option for this.
  • Smoother movement in general. When you slide, avoid the "bumpy ride" feeling. When you climb a fence, avoid the camera tilting and turning constantly. I know, I know, "realism."
  • Recoil is fine for the gun animations and sounds and such, but try to avoid shifting the player's camera too much with each shot. It's very disorienting.
If I think of anything else I'll update this post.

I cut out every single walking animation in Borderlands to make it playable, walking and running felt like my char was constantly mounted on rails. Didn't accomplish a miracle, but it helped to delay the moment where my brain said "Enough for now!"

If there will be no Third Person and CDPR really isn't going to implement it somehow, then we need some "disabled"-mode for people like me. Higher FOV, even if this means the game is easier, disabled camera shaking and stuff like that. Maybe in an extra menu, so every player can experiment themself, how far do they want to go.
Wouldn't kill the million dollar project but it would adress a lot of the concerns.

Last edited:
Thanks for making this.

I'll quote myself here, too, so that CDPR can see what I said more easily.

I didn't read that entire article yet, but here's a few options I know have helped in other games, and options I'd like to see here even if they weren't present in other games.

• The ability to turn off headbob/camera shake. This is the biggest thing.
  • WIDE FOV sliders. I know some people will complain that this "makes the game too easy," but it helps a lot. Up to 110 would be ideal. Anything under 90 is a no go for me.
  • Some sort of in-game option to turn the brightness down? Sigil Fey said this helped him out, so I'd be interested to see an option for this.
  • Smoother movement in general. When you slide, avoid the "bumpy ride" feeling. When you climb a fence, avoid the camera tilting and turning constantly. I know, I know, "realism."
  • Recoil is fine for the gun animations and sounds and such, but try to avoid shifting the player's camera too much with each shot. It's very disorienting.
If I think of anything else I'll update this post.

These are very good suggestions.

The less the camera shakes and moves after the character stops moving the better.
I know it makes for a realistic approach, but most of the time it generates a lot of sickness.

Forum veteran
How does FP give motion sickness in a game behind a screen?
The motion isn't the cause of sickness. It's the mismatch between what you see and what your body is telling you is happening, so even the non-physical motion in games can induce it.

EDIT: Has anyone tried putting something in front of the screen (a drink, a stack of post-its, a human skull)? I can't help but suspect that part of the reason I don't suffer from motion sickness in games is because I have all kinds of stuff lying around my computer monitor that acts as a reference point.

Last edited:
The motion isn't the cause of sickness. It's the mismatch between what you see and what your body is telling you is happening, so even the non-physical motion in games can induce it.

EDIT: Has anyone tried putting something in front of the screen (a drink, a stack of post-its, a human skull)? I can't help but suspect that part of the reason I don't suffer from motion sickness in games is because I have all kinds of stuff lying around my computer monitor that acts as a reference point.

For me there is the console and its cords. I sit on whatever i can, rather it is a chair, bed or the floor. But I do not have this problem. That is to say, I do have some kind of MS, just not with VGs. As the explainers say, my mind always matches with it and I know it is not real. Interestingly, some games puts me in a position that makes me part of the world. Like i am in in the world for instance: Horizon, The Division and Far Cry: Primal. What I mean is, it is like some soul attachment. Currently, there is also game cases but...

Field of View slider is needed and imperative, for first person, for vehicles, for everything
and of course option to invert Y axis
and full controller support with aim assist

all they really need is a head bob option and a FOV slider that doesn't suck. Too many games default to a low FOV like 75 or 65. That's where problems largely arise.

These are honestly kind of basic options though, I'm not worried.

Oh yeah, I also want a wide FOV slider because although I don't get motion sick, I do get super uncomfortable at less than 90. Up to 120 would be nice.

And lets highlight the option to turn off Head Bobbing for sure.
Hey I have a friend who still cannot play it because of first person. As weird as it may sound, if she cannot see a third person view, she cannot play it. Anyway, also it isn't that hard to implement a third person view though, is it? They surely can do that. Not begging for it, but the addition of it would make it much better for many people.

Hey I have a friend who still cannot play it because of first person. As weird as it may sound, if she cannot see a third person view, she cannot play it. Anyway, also it isn't that hard to implement a third person view though, is it? They surely can do that. Not begging for it, but the addition of it would make it much better for many people.
Might be a factor of having a single fixed object, the characters back, on the screen permits her brain to relate the perceived motion to it rather herself.

it can actually be a pretty big technical undertaking.
For a AAA game, yes it might be. Look, neither you nor I know how their engine works. If they did develop that engine properly, it shouldn't be that hard to just pop a different camera view in there.

Forum veteran
On topic: don't they make pills for motion sickness? One would think that they'd be just as effective here as in the car.

If they did develop that engine properly, it shouldn't be that hard to just pop a different camera view in there.
And then have it immediately swing inside of a building because the game was designed in such a way that its upper floors lack collision. That's to say nothing of the potential visual bugs as things are streamed in (open world, remember) while the camera is angled in a direction unanticipated by the developers. That's fine if the third-person view is the result of a fan-made mod, but CDPR would be crucified if it was an official addition and wasn't up to The Witcher 3's standard. And while we know very little about combat, it could very well be designed around the first-person perspective and require being entirely reworked.

It's not like it's a switch that they're refusing to flip for no reason.

Reposting from FPP TPP debate thread

For people who are having motion sickness.
2 things
  • Increase FPS, make sure you are playing above 60FPS, if you can't achieve this, lower the quality settings or get a better PC. If you are playing on console, what are you doing? FPS are played best on PC.(You can even attach it to a TV if you desire, make sure TV has fast response time as it will cause issues as well)
  • Increase FOV, most games are stuck at 80 fov, increasing it just to 90 alleviates alot of things, I play at 100FOV usually.

Top Bottom