Motion Sickness Thread with some possible solutions.

+
all they really need is a head bob option and a FOV slider that doesn't suck. Too many games default to a low FOV like 75 or 65. That's where problems largely arise.

These are honestly kind of basic options though, I'm not worried.
The head bob option is less common, which is why I'm worried. The only games I see it in are ones like Minecraft, and especially very rarely in a AAA RPG.

Even with that said, no solution is perfect for everyone, but these two things should help a lot.

The head bob option is less common, which is why I'm worried. The only games I see it in are ones like Minecraft, and especially very rarely in a AAA RPG.

Even with that said, no solution is perfect for everyone, but these two things should help a lot.
I see it in every game that develops ON PC. The issue is many big releases are essentially console ports.

What bothers me is, I would have to buy the game to see if any of these ideas helps with the motion sickness, it would be a big gamble.

So I would suggest first and foremost a playable free demo for people who are afraid they cannot cope with the FPV.

Also, I wouldn't mind at all to play a less polished game in the TPV, doesn't have to have the excellency of the FPV, if this game follows CD Projekt Red quality pattern, I will play it first and foremost for the story and can cope with less than ideal gameplay and visual if I can play TPV, and I am sure lots of people would agree with that

What bothers me is, I would have to buy the game to see if any of these ideas helps with the motion sickness, it would be a big gamble.

So I would suggest first and foremost a playable free demo for people who are afraid they cannot cope with the FPV.

Also, I wouldn't mind at all to play a less polished game in the TPV, doesn't have to have the excellency of the FPV, if this game follows CD Projekt Red quality pattern, I will play it first and foremost for the story and can cope with less than ideal gameplay and visual if I can play TPV, and I am sure lots of people would agree with that
>Steam
>LITERAL REFUNDS WITHIN 2 hours of playtime and 2 weeks from purchase.

So, CP2077 is going to be FPP.
So yeah, how have you fared with FOV adjustments, framerates, etc? What works best?

I suffered extremely nasty motion sickness while attempting to play Half life 2 back in the day.
Only thing that worked for me was Ginger root. You can even get it in tablet form these days.

Seriously, sailors have been using it for centuries to combat sea sickness.
Worked wonderfully to deal with the sickness until I finished the game.

I see it in every game that develops ON PC. The issue is many big releases are essentially console ports.

I'm sorry if I've misunderstood your point of view in the past.
I suffered extremely nasty motion sickness while attempting to play Half life 2 back in the day.
Only thing that worked for me was Ginger root. You can even get it in tablet form these days.

Seriously, sailors have been using it for centuries to combat sea sickness.
Worked wonderfully to deal with the sickness until I finished the game.
Interesting idea. You think Ginger root tea would work too?

Thank you for this thread. I feel like the arguments elsewhere have boiled down to what you can see and the people like myself who suffer from this are kind of left in the dark. Even the responses from the dev are focused that way too. Nothing agist them at all its just where the loud voice is.

In my experience motion sickness pills work great but they can cause drowsiness. For me some games are so hectic within 5 minutes even on pills I'm done. Sadly I have missed out on some amazing games because of this (dishonored and bioshock infinite). Games like fallout and Skyrim I have managed in first person. Although fallout 4 I went 3rd. I think those games have steadier camera and are slower paced so maybe that's the way to go. At the same time I made it through 2 portal games.

I haven't experimented much with FoV settings so I can't say how that will work for me. I do have access to a few where I can do this so I'll play around there as well.

Most games the second I find out are first person only I immediately skip it. But Witcher 3 was something amazing and knowing what this studio is capable of has me looking into ways to manage this. If it means I play 40 feet away from my TV that might be what I have to do.

FOV sliders can - occasionally and temporarily - mitigate the nausea I inevitably feel when attempting to play games presented in the first person. Making this provision, on all platforms, could mitigate the problem for some.

Absolutely gutted.

FOV sliders can - occasionally and temporarily - mitigate the nausea I inevitably feel when attempting to play games presented in the first person. Making this provision, on all platforms, could mitigate the problem for some.

Absolutely gutted.
some console games have FOV sliders but it should be noted that FOV is relative to your viewing distance. if you can sit farther back from a tv, you should.

alternatively, every PC game has adjustable FOV (even in the absence of sliders).

I haven't experimented much with FoV settings so I can't say how that will work for me. I do have access to a few where I can do this so I'll play around there as well.

generally speaking, the wider the FOV, the less pronounced the effects of any motion on screen. The reason third person doesnt have that pronounced effect is because the effective FOV is drastically wider compared to a first person game. you get a wider frame of a given space and the zoomed out nature makes the movements easier to track and less hectic. you can accomplish the same thing in first person to a point (past a certain FOV, First Person images get stretched and warped). there is however an unbridgeable gap between what you can do in first and third person.

i mean it was already said: but here is what i do:

FoV to 90 or 100 (depends on the game)
while i can deal with weapon bob, the head bob will trigger my brain - so tuning these off is making my life so much better
making crosshair into a fixpoint, by changing design and size
and i have to reduce mousesensitivty

On topic: don't they make pills for motion sickness? One would think that they'd be just as effective here as in the car.

They do, but different people react differently. For me, only dimenhydrinate works which is pretty hard to get in UK. And also, as most of motion sickness tabs, they cause drowsiness. But I can beat that if I get into the game, so it's a solution for me (I checked while playing Wolfenstein and Ovewatch). For others, even pills may not be enough. Can't really say why.

My guess when it comes to TPP and FPP is that while in TPP quite large part of screen is occupied by player's figure. Plus the camrea angle is differen which may also send signals to brain, suggesting the body is not actually in move. But that's my guessing based on my experience :) Anyway, without pills, 5min in FPP and I'm down in bed with migrane, nausea and muscle pain...

How come you guys don't get motion sick in third person? Does a reticle on screen help as something to focus on?

Excellent thread! In my long gaming history I only had a kind of sickness in two specific games, but that was caused by color flickering, not the perspective itself. However I do get headaches in some first person games after a while, specifically in games heavy on exploration. The problem is that being a completionist I always try to find all hidden stuff and in first person perspective this leads to continuous rotating of the camera. Obviously this is not an issue in third person, that's why I prefer that in RPGs. In most genres I have no problem with first person perspective, I actually prefer it in racing games, I loved Mirror's Edge and so on. But in a big open-world RPG it's a real nightmare.

For me specifically frantic action and excessive head bob will definitely cause it. This isn't just limited to FPP games either. The most recent god of war the first thing I did was turn the handheld camera effect to 0. MGSV also had a similar camera shake I disabled immediately. I think it's more exaggerated in FP perspective. I have heard you can condition your body to it as well but in some cases the effects outweigh the benefits. If CDPR can keep the FPP calm and in control then perfect I think I can find a way. I have too much respect for this studio to completely jump ship. Once we see some gameplay then i will start leaning towards how I approach this one.

Top Bottom