Motion Sickness Thread with some possible solutions.

+
Sadly, it is a very very real possibility that I may not be able to play this game at all, or at least not enjoy it. It took me forever to finish the Deus Ex games because the migraines that would set in after playing for half an hour to an hour. Mirrors Edge was completely unplayable for me.

From personal experience I can tell that playing in well lit room helps a lot. The key is to tweak the gamma and saturation so the outside light is not much or not less brighter than that of a game. So, while playing in dark the ideal solution is 0 gamma :) But I only get migraine, nothing a hefty 2000mg of ibuprofen can't handle (yes, 2K) :)

From personal experience I can tell that playing in well lit room helps a lot. The key is to tweak the gamma and saturation so the outside light is not much or not less brighter than that of a game. So, while playing in dark the ideal solution is 0 gamma :) But I only get migraine, nothing a hefty 2000mg of ibuprofen can't handle (yes, 2K) :)
With the amount of Vicodin I take for my back injury, ibuprofen doesn't do Jack for me anymore except give me ridiculous acid reflux.

The purpose of the thread was to share tips about dealing with FP, not to repeat the discussion already held in the other thread.

I agree that telling someone to just take a pill is onsulting but luckily for me I just have mild simulation sickness and some of these setting tips are actually helping me adjust.

Would I prefer TP? Naturally, but it looks like we won't get it. Therefore I prefer to look at what I can do instead of staying angry.

Yeah, I'm not popping any pills to play the game, that's for damn sure. I may give ginger a go and have a stab at playing Flower (a game that really gives me motion sickness) this week to see if it helps me any. I'll report back.

Yeah, I'm not popping any pills to play the game, that's for damn sure. I may give ginger a go and have a stab at playing Flower (a game that really gives me motion sickness) this week to see if it helps me any. I'll report back.
I think this isn't the way, buddy...

Body awareness.
Yep. The whole 'eye and inner ear conflict' thing is a real bitch. Ironically it technically means that we have a stronger sense of awareness for when we are moving or not. Who knew having BETTER awareness of whether you were mobile or not could be so detrimental?

So part of the reason this was closed was that a lot of people, instead of trying to help or just moving on when they decided this wasn't for them, took yet another opportunity to share their displeasure with the First Person choice - or their contempt and anger at the solutions presented.

Nope. If you aren't going to be constructive and you aren't going to help, don't post here.

Saying "that doesn't work for me" and "I resent even having to think of this!" is useful to absolutely no one.

Saying, "That doesn't work for me, but let's keep looking" and "well, this is a crappy condition I have, but maybe we can improve it - have we tried this yet?" -is- useful.

The former is not allowed - the latter is encouraged.

Cyberpunk 2077, from my perspective, is a game that as many as possible should enjoy. That said, it is not a basic human right to play this video game. Please keep that in mind when posting here.

Okay. Thread Unlocked. Everyone be cool. Stick to Motion Sickness - Solutions and Ideas. If your idea is "NO FPP" then it will be deleted AND YOU WILL BE WARNED.

So, I've been thinking, and I realize that a lot of people with motion sickness may not have the easy solutions us PC gamers have (FOV, head bob, potential mods, yada yada yada). Which, while not "unfair" by any means (there's nobody to blame), sucks and is not an ideal solution.

So, a few things that I know have helped myself and others in the past (this is for console gamers):

1. Put an adhesive dot on the screen. I believe this was mentioned in the article Sard linked early on, but it bears repeating. It should be roughly dead center. When you feel yourself "slipping," so to speak, focus on that. May not help everyone. But I've never tried.

2. Open the blinds, make the room as well-lit as it possibly can be. The darker a room, the more claustrophobic you feel, the less peripheral vision you have, which makes it harder for your brain to register whats going on. When your eyes can quickly skirt side to side to see what's going on in a well-lit area, you are able to get your bearings.

3. Immersion treatment. This will not work for everybody (myself), but I Feel like a lot of people haven't even tried, probably because they generally don't care for FPP games. So, try it. Play as long as you can before the nausea JUST starts to set in... do not push it. Then stop. Come back in 2 hours, or less (or more).

Try again. Repeat. Keep doing this, maybe a couple times a day. I know, its a lot of hassle, but just remember - nobody owes you (And I mean this in the best way possible) TPP, or any perspective, for any game. It is 100% on you to deal with your condition, as much as that sucks. The devs will surely do what they can, but they are limited by technology and design.

4. Dramamine helps, based on personal experience. I've heard people say "I shouldn't have to pop pills to play games!" and you're right. But again, you are the person wanting to play the game, so it is on you to find a way to make that happen. Plus, Dramamine is not a permanent solution. Apparently, a lot of people need only use it for a little while until their body becomes used to FPP.

5. Put lots of sh*t near your TV. Not much to say here. The more "safe" things you can focus on when too much action is happening on screen, the better.

[Sard Edit: Cleaned.]

As for the whole FPP vs TPP thing as it relates to motion sickness, I find it more a matter of FOV and camera bob than of where the camera is in relation to the character. The only reason I prefer TPP is that not all games allow turning off FPP bobbing or widening the FOV to a more natural angle. Any game that does allow those options is one that I can play in FPP and be perfectly fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
13 Natural Motion Sickness Treatments
  1. Crackers and Carbonation. Nibble on dry saltine-type crackers and sip a carbonated beverage or natural sparkling water to relieve nausea.
  2. Stay hydrated! Dehydration can occur, particularly with vomiting. Sip water or herbal tea to soothe the stomach and to maintain proper hydration levels in your body.
  3. Biofeedback Training. For frequent travelers or those with careers that require interaction with virtual reality technologies, games, or high-definition movies, biofeedback therapy may be helpful to prevent symptoms.
  4. Acupressure Bands. Elasticized bands worn on the wrist apply pressure based on acupressure principles and may help to prevent or delay the onset of symptoms. They are safe for both children and adults. Follow the directions for proper placement.
  5. Homeopathy. There are a variety of homeopathy combinations that are effective for some in relieving nausea, headache and ringing in the ears associated with motion sickness. Nux vomica and Cocculus are ingredients that may be beneficial for some.
  6. Ginger. In addition to fighting infections, protecting against cancer, reducing cholesterol, and protecting against stroke and heart disease, ginger has been shown to prevent motion sickness, particularly in circular movements like in a flight simulator or on an amusement ride.
  7. Peppermint. Orally, and as aromatherapy, peppermint helps to relieve symptoms of nausea. Sip organic peppermint tea. Take a high-quality peppermint tablet two to three times per day while traveling. Or use peppermint essential oil for aromatherapy purposes.
  8. Black Horehound. According to the University of Michigan, Michigan Medicine, European herbalists have used black horehound, a member of the mint family, for generations to relieve anxiety and nausea. Available as a tincture, take 1 to 2 milliliters, three times per day.
  9. 5-Hydroxytryptophan + Magnesium. Research has found that taking 50 milligrams of 5-HTP and 200 milligrams of magnesium together twice a day for three months reduced motion sickness dramatically. 5-HTP is not for everyone, and it is known to interact with medications commonly prescribed for diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, pain, migraines and Parkinson’s disease. Women who are pregnant or nursing should also avoid it as well as anyone taking cough syrups with dextromethorphan.
  10. Vitamin B-6. In the days before you travel, make sure you are getting at least 100 milligrams of B6, twice each day, from a vitamin B complex supplement. Augment this by consuming more vitamin B6 rich foodsprior to departure and while on your journey. Top B6 rich foods include travel-friendly snacks like pistachios and sunflower seeds.
  11. Essential Oils. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), stimulating other senses can distract from the motion, thereby reducing, or preventing, the symptoms. In addition to conventional treatments, the CDC indicates aromatherapy using peppermint essential oil or lavender essential oil is beneficial.
  12. Chamomile Tea. After symptoms have arisen, sipping chamomile teamay help to settle the nausea and relax the mind. You can drink it cold or warm with a touch of raw honey.
  13. Licorice Root. According to research published in the journal Evidence Based Complementary Alternative Medicine, a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial found that G. glabra, or licorice root, significantly decreases symptoms of dyspepsia, including nausea, bloating and belching.

I've started with the 'immersion training' part and in my case it seems to help a bit. Playing Portal 2 now, as it doesn't have enemies and people tell me that the gradual difficulty curve makes it a good testcase.

So far my experience are mostly positive. The game is quite fun and I can play it for longer than I expected before needing to take a break. Still move around with the grace of a drunk manatee.

Since signing up for this accound came with a shiny new gog.com account, including some offers and summersale, I picked up some more 'advanced' training materials as Deus Ex and Vampire Bloodlines, as people often hail those as examples of good FP RPG and Mirrors Edge for the frantic movement. Also have Fallout 4, Skyrim (played both TP) and Dishonored (bargain bin pickup) lying around for PS4.

Any suggestions for games that can help with this 'training'? And is fhere a noticable difference between PC and console in triggering motion sickness?

Top Bottom