Motion Sickness Thread with some possible solutions.

+
Any suggestions for games that can help with this 'training'? And is fhere a noticable difference between PC and console in triggering motion sickness?

If able, play on a smaller screen first, then graduate to something a little larger.

Just a reminder to keep things on-topic: if you have nothing to add to the motion sickness discussion, then this is not the thread for you.

Some posts deleted.

If I can offer my very humble opinion to the mods, I think having this thread right now is a very bad idea. No matter how many times you warn people(and some trolls), right now they will just keep doing the same thing and you will keep deleting posts and they will keep getting annoyed. Isn't it much better to have this thread when we have gameplay footage? Then, everyone will be impressed and want to play the game, and the very very few that actually have motion sickness will want some ideas and solutions.

While my Mo-Sick is recently not as severe as I was before (I manage to play Bioshock Infinite half way) I think people forgot to mentions one thing that is a big factor that separates Cyberpunk 2077 from other FPP RPG game, "Character creation system" this means you are "V" a custom character you created, you assume a role of V you becomes him/her, and that will help someone like me so much in psychological aspects, for example when you play Dues EX you are Denton/Jensen, no other options there, you experience the world through the eyes of someone else and you feels disconnected, if Dues EX was playable in TPP mode, then I believe you can just enjoy playing as him rather than became him, like watching a movie (do you know why there isn't much FPP Movie around?) and that is a big different. Now in Cyberpunk 2077's case the screen is your eyes, the eyes you've created, and althrough I've never play a FPP RPG game with custom character before (don't know if there are one recently, it'd be nice if someone can recommend me some) but I'm sure this will help me play this game more smoothly, it's a psychological things you see. Now I'm not saying this will be the cure to Mo-Sick, but if you keep this fact in mind while you playing this game, turn off the light, close your room and curtain, raise your FOV and this might be a solution you need.
Not saying I don't want some TPP option through..

Well that was brief. Too many deletions and Warnings. Locking again.
Look people, we know this is a real issue, but we can't help you if you don't help us. And angry, off-topic posts aren't helping anyone.

Then let me kick off with a few experiences I had using a few of the tips. I played Portal 2 and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for testing.

- Playing on my smaller laptop screen instead of console on tv helped me. So did turning the brightness of the games up.

- Both games are somewhat older and didn't include headbobbing. Vampires includes some flickering lights which where annoying but can be mostly avoided.

- Taking regular breaks helped greatly. Its standard advice but one to take at heart in this case. Other obvious tip is keeping yourself hydrated.

Still, whether its to my problems with FP or simply not playing games with this perspective for years, I move and play with the grace of a cow. Not a problem (yet) in Portal 2 but in Vampire I have some difficulty hitting things in FP. (I play TP shooters as Unchartered so I'm not completely inexperienced with shooters).

In short, I believe this 'immersion therapy' can help people with moderate motion sickness. Still looking for more slower paced FP games, so I'd appreciate any tips.

And now back to Vampire the Masquerade. Damn, that game is good.

Keeping on the subject, how do people with motion sickness feel when they are in a vehicle like a car in real life?

Keeping on the subject, how do people with motion sickness feel when they are in a vehicle like a car in real life?

Good question!

Although I do no suffer from this, my wife does and some of my friends. It depends on car ride vs boat ride and quality of movement. As well as other factors - heat, pressure, fatigue, etc.

I've never been on a boat, but vehicles are fine. However, if I read (strangely, I can watch movies/shows just fine) -- whether it's digital or in a physical book -- while in a car, the nausea (EXTREME NAUSEA) sets in within 5-8 minutes most of the time. I think most people get carsick to some degree, though.

In games, it depends on head bobbing (how severe it is, whether or not there's a toggle) and how much I can crank the FOV up. Kingdom Come Deliverance is a freaking amazing game, but I cannot play it for ever, and the FOV caps out at 75.

I've never been on a boat, but vehicles are fine. However, if I read (strangely, I can watch movies/shows just fine) -- whether it's digital or in a physical book -- while in a car, the nausea (EXTREME NAUSEA) sets in within 5-8 minutes most of the time. I think most people get carsick to some degree, though.

In games, it depends on head bobbing (how severe it is, whether or not there's a toggle) and how much I can crank the FOV up. Kingdom Come Deliverance is a freaking amazing game, but I cannot play it for ever, and the FOV caps out at 75.

I cant read att all in car too but im able to look a film or watch a map, its strange....
i do not suffer of motion sickness when playing fpp by the way so its maybe not related

My dad once handed me his phone while he was driving and asked me to find a phone number - within less than ten seconds of looking and trying to find the number my head was spinning and my frontal lobe felt like someone drove a nail through it with a hammer.

25.gif

If I'm the one at the wheel, my mind is usually so occupied with everything else that it doesn't have time to be nauseated because I'm looking at the road, the cars, then at the speedometer (actually I think I spend most of the driving with one eye on the speedometer). If I'm in the passenger seat, and it's a long drive, I'll almost always just go to sleep before nausea can kick in.

Speaking from my own experience, things are fine so long as the motion of the scenery in my eyes matches the motion I feel in my ears. It's only when those two things don't match that problems arise.

When I was in the Navy, I never got seasick from the ship rolling since all my senses (including common sense) told me the same thing. However, I often got vertigo in the foc'sle since my eyes were telling me I was staying at the same altitude while my inner ear were telling I was going up and down a few feet. I have no issue with escalators or glass elevators, but regular elevators are a problem.

It probably doesn't need mentioning that I have opinions about camera bob.

I cant read att all in car too but im able to look a film or watch a map, its strange....
i do not suffer of motion sickness when playing fpp by the way so its maybe not related
Exectly the same for me. If I start reading while being a passenger in a car I start to get really sick after a minute.

Only time I get a similar feeling to this, not so intense, with FP games is when the FOV is forced to 70 or lower. 90 degrees and above no problem whatsoever.

I'm lucky in that for me it's more simulation sickness than true motion sickness. I can read without problems on cars or trains and have little problems on a ship. My guess is that problems in those cases are more related to the body experiencing movement but not seeing it while my problems with FP are more with seeing movement but not experiencing it. Gives me a headache and some dizziness instead of nausea. Still, it makes gaming unprepared uncomfortable for me, not impossible and I'm happy that I don't jave the more serious trouble some others have

It depends....If it's a several hours long trip, i get nausea and therefore need to make several stops. Otherwise, i usuallu don't have any big issues.

I cannot travel on boat, however, as i constantly feel sick and even vomit big time. Plane is not such a marvelous experience for me, as well, but still a lot better than boat.

Well - As a child I was hopeless. When my parents went on vacation, the drive to the location where we would stay for 3 weeks was a hell for me. My parents have to stop several times because I had to vomit. It nearly took a full day to recover from the trip. It not only was cars. One time my father put me in a merry-go-round, and the result was spectacular. According to my dad all bystanders had to jump out of reach of my spiraling vomit fountain. That was the only time they ever did that.. :giggle:

When I grew older I got over it, and now I seldom have any problem (I do feel nausea when sitting in the back of a city bus that drives very irregular by a bad driver).

That said - While I had problems with some games (Half Life 2 - The hovercraft sequence does let my head spin every time again), I general I have no problems if I can adjust things like Field Of View, Head Bob, Frame Rate (above 30 FPS works for me), and especially Mouse Speed. That latter is crucial for me, because if everything spins too fast around I get dizzy very fast. If, however, I can get Mouse sensitivity (or Camera sensitivity) down to my normal head turn speed, I have no or very little problems.

So Yes, while I still suffer motion sickness to some degree (especially when taking a long trip in a boat or airplane), I got "adjusted" to it at a later age (well - I am 63 now, so it's about time).

If the developers won't do anything, what about mods?

Guess I will check back here a bit after release and see if the community was able to implement it.

(I'm glad I didn't finish all Witcher 3 quests yet. Guess I'm going to have to stretch that game out for a few more years...)

Top Bottom