Motion Sickness Thread with some possible solutions.

+
Would allowing for a character build that makes combat less of a fast paced, acrobatic affair be a possibility? Or a critical path that enables players to circumnavigate the need for first person gunplay?

in no place did i say : "I'm taking my ball and going home." , nor was it the intention of my post.
i just dont think that i should have to jump through hoops to be able to enjoy something thats meant to be enjoyed.
The problem is, telling us how much it sucks doesn't serve any purpose. We know it sucks. And no matter how unfair it might seem, there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Several solutions have already been listed than can (and do, because I have motion sickness myself and have tested them) help significantly. If people refuse to even try them, well... not much point in talking about the issue with them. If they try them all and nothing works, that sucks. But again, what are we to do about it?

The problem with the "I shouldn't have to" mindset is that it assumes a certain degree of entitlement (I don't mean that in a "you're an entitled millenial!" way). You are assuming that you should be catered to, with your specific condition, and that you should automatically be able to play the game like everyone else.

But that's not the case, unfortunately, and that's how it is with a lot of disabilities/problems. It sucks, but it's one of those situations where you just have to accept that you are in a crappy spot and nobody can pull you out of it.

The best we can hope for is personal responsibility (har har har) on the part of people with MS to the degree that they try the methods available to them, and accessibility options from CDPR (head bob toggle, wider FOV, etc).

Would allowing for a character build that makes combat less of a fast paced, acrobatic affair be a possibility? Or a critical path that enables players to circumnavigate the need for first person gunplay?

Near as I can tell, this is already a thing. Lots of character builds will be viable, including mostly (or, at least, significantly) non-violent/stealthy/whatever playthroughs.

I'll definitely be curious to see to what degree twitch combat can be avoided.

It would help me greatly. Fast movements (as expected in 'standard' FP gunplay) are quite hard for me to pull off. Thats why I'm eagerly awaiting any news about the actual combat. I can deal with a slower tactical pace but true twitch shooting would be a problem.

I was JUST having the same thought.

Let's make this clear-er -

If you DO NOT have any suggestions or follow-up suggestions to make here (and Give Us Third Person is not a suggestion of any value right now), then Do Not Post.

This thread is not for you to rail against the unfairness of life. It is unfair and that sucks. I can not fix that for you.

It is not for you to argue with people trying to make this solution work for them.

It is to post suggestions and supply results. That's it. That's all. Anything else, well, not going to go very well. Stay On Topic and Be Kind and Respectful.

Unfortunately a lot of it is a business decision. All companies have to weigh the costs (time, money, and processing performance) of adding features to allow various minorities to play their games. If adding a feature costs more that the return it brings, then they probably won't do it.

How about omitting a feature, or at least giving us an option to disable it?

/glares at games where camera bob is perma-on

A few more bits and ends I picked up:

- I noticed that my reactions to FP while playing Bloodlines are much less severe than those I experienced many years ago. One possibly relevant difference is that I now wear contact lenses and regularly visit my optometrist. Used good ol' Dr. Google to check and bad eyesight can aggravate headaches and nausea when staring at a screen. So getting your eyes checked or wearing glasses may help.

- Same article (lost link unfortunately) suggested wearing sunglasses as looking through a visible filter helps your eyes and brain understand they are looking at a screen instead of a facsimile of a field of vision.

- Just some random fact. Read about an experiment where a characters nose was visible on screen, as looking at your nose is a trick your body uses to determine your heads position while looking at an object. The screenshots looked completely ridiculous, but it appeared to help the people who we're testing this solution.

I'd be interested to know if anyone who gets queasy playing certain types of games also have balance issues and if they play with the audio coming through speakers or a headset?
I recently took up using a headset rather than speakers and that changes my positional referencing noticeably.

In response to GW84 I won't game without glasses after picking up a set of Gunnar Optics gaming glasses. An expensive option but they do provide a visible filter (they are tinted amber) and alter the contrast which can help focusing - at least they give a distinct change to how the game looks which I suppose might help in the case of motion or sim related discomfort.

I'd be interested to know if anyone who gets queasy playing certain types of games also have balance issues and if they play with the audio coming through speakers or a headset?
I recently took up using a headset rather than speakers and that changes my positional referencing noticeably.

I always play with headphones, and I have absolutely zero balance. Like, I can fall over trying to stand using a snowboard - it's really quite impressive how lacking I am in that department.

I always play with headphones, and I have absolutely zero balance. Like, I can fall over trying to stand using a snowboard - it's really quite impressive how lacking I am in that department.
I was wondering, because I've only ever had a problem in the car when trying to read and only on windy mountain roads. (I love driving on mountain roads). I also have balance issues along with some other things, which is why I asked.
I find with headphones, especially gaming focused ones that have mock-surround, that I'm not relying just on my eyes to find things. I have noticed that even light ones you can feel them on your head and I can imagine that might throw off some people.

I am playing on a 26" TV and usually sit two to three meters away, it's sad because of this distance it's sometimes hard to read texts and see ever inch of the beautiful crafted worlds, but only seeing this little monitor surrounded by my normal static living room helps. It's no magic tho, after time sickness will still kick in.

About moving vehicles: For years I wasn't able to ride busses, because I always started to puke after a few minutes. I suffer this since I am a child and cool kids sit in the back of the bus. But after years, I noticed that the lateral centrifugal force is a major trigger - the less you feel of this force the bigger is the faulty signal your brain needs to process leading into more serious sickness. After finding that out I could reduce my symptoms greatly by sitting as far in the front of the vehicle as I can. This way the distance to the pivot point is the greatest resulting in the greatest lateral force. No more puking today.

I hope one does understand, I tried to make it as easy as possible. It's an easy representation of a bus that drives up. The longer the green line the longer is the distance to the pivot point and the greater is the felt lateral force while turning.

Attachments

• Bus.png
    Bus.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 37
I had a thought, which leads me to another question regarding the perspective and motion sickness.

Considering (from my somewhat limited knowledge of the technical aspects) it's possible to apply motion captured animations to anything in a 3D environment; what effect do people who get motion sickness from FPP feel when watching footage from a head mounted camera?

I ask, because a camera mounted to a person moves very differently to a camera mounted to a boom.

Last edited:
what effect do people who get motion sickness from FPP feel when watching footage from a head mounted camera?

It's even worse for me than playing myself. Watching someone else play in fpp or watching said camera movement will lead to sickness, fast paced camera movement in action films are sometimes hard too

It's even worse for me than playing myself. Watching someone else play in fpp or watching said camera movement will lead to sickness, fast paced camera movement in action films are sometimes hard too

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to get a clearer sense of the mechanics and build a model in my head.

Saw this.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...k-but-the-persistence-does-all-it-can-to-help

VR is different, but it's interesting to see a dev aim at the motion sickness issue.

"The VR consultation looks at some things you'd expect it to look at, such as rotation speeds and the amount of vignette, and some things you wouldn't expect it to look at, such as the colour black.

"The smearing that's a by-product of OLED displays with blacks, they think that can cause some discomfort to the player," Tilley says."

Some interesting stuff here.

Interesting article, especially since many of their solutions sound counterintuitive but seem to work. Like that they where willing to think outside of the box in finding solutions.

Guess thats a nice side-effect of VR. More people with a headache or nausea means more research into solutions.

Incase my question about head cam needs some clarification. I wasn't thinking head cam footage of someone playing a game.
I was thinking of people who wear a head cam and go out to shoot footage as they are riding their bike, skiing, driving a car.

I also found that article interesting from an technical standpoint.

A fun fact from that article where it mentions a symptom being 'an increase in saliva'. That's actually a precursor to vomiting. The body knows it's going to throw up, which means unloading stomach acid and therefore risking burn damage to the throat and mouth, and so it produces saliva in order to insulate and protect the mouth and parts of the throat.

Ya know, in case anyone thought motion sickness was 'just a harmless bit of nausea'.

Top Bottom