Motion Sickness Thread with some possible solutions.

+
When i really want to play a game but gives me motion sickness, I'll usually increase the FOV from the standard 70( if they port the game from a console; no PC user play around 2-4m away from a monitor/s unless you use a TV/projector) to around 90-110 (depends on monitor size), disable the head bobbing & motion blur (if they have the option), reduce the brightness, turning off flare, check if my fps are consistent (not dropping below 40fps or stuttering) and if none of these work i will just ask for a refund as reducing the quality of the game will not make any difference.

As for the medicinal approach; ginger doesn't work, common headache pills don't work either.

The games that give me motion sickness are the ones that are usually rushed to get out before the hype train dies out; for example the new Hitman games.

It will be great if developers of this game will read this, as i find like other most motion sickness suffers are often overlooked.

I do not suffer motion sickness, or, at least have not in the past.

That isn't to say I do not recognize or support having options available for those that do ... and, who knows, I might maybe suddenly experience motion sickness with this game because something unpredictable happens to my body, the secret alien overlords change our reality settings ... or, for any reason.

That's my stance on most things with this game, or, really, any game or piece of software. Put the options for X in there, and those that benefit from it will use it, and those that don't, won't.

When I do a backyard grill get together, I'm not vegan, but, I know folks that are, and I accommodate them with food that'll jive with their needs. I don't use every sauce, condiment, topping, spice, pepper, or other additional thing, but, I go out of my way to have a broad enough offering of options that satisfy most.
Are there leftovers? Does some food get "wasted" by not getting used? Sure. That's not going to prevent me from offering similar array of options at any future gathering.
People are also more than welcome to bring their own ... thing too, food, beer, super deadly thermonuclear spicy pepper sauce, whatever.

If everyone invited to the party is accommodated, and happy with the "features" available, whether they're used, or not, then, it's a good thing.
That's my stance. It works for backyard grill get togethers, and I suspect it's something that works for software, whether it's a game, or something else.

You have a core target "audience", but, some of them may benefit from a little extra accommodation, whether it's some extra options like FOV, Depth of Field, Head bob sliders and toggles for motion sickness, an array of color options for those of us that are color blind, subtitles for those that need it, mod support to some degree for that demographic, broad range difficulty sliders, so forth, so on, and etcetera. :)

Adding certain "extra" options will certainly likely tack on a bit more development time, but, in my opinion, regardless of how twitchy my grubby paws are to get this game sooner rather than later, those "extra" options even if I personally don't use them, are worth the wait.
There's more than me, and my personal preferences and tolerances out in the world. :)

Last edited:
I have the whole motion sickness thing happen, but for me it is more along the lines of a headache trigger that can evolve into a migraine. Like how too much light can be a trigger. I can deal with it most of the time, but I am really hoping that with this game being said to be more "cinematic" that a "movie like experience" can help ease the dizziness and predictable head pain from unfolding.
I'm also hoping/pretty sure that there will be so much to do alongside mission-like-quest-thingys that if I feel like just taking it easy some days then it is easily done. Ultimately, I know I am going to play '77 a lot, and I am expecting to have to figure out how to adapt around the motion sickness/brain pain thing. I'm glad to see that it's not just me that it happens to, I didn't know it was as big a thing until the discussion about FPP vs TPP kicked off.

I haven't had sickness effects while playing, but I'm going to post some requests assuming FPP.
- No head bob, or at least option to turn it off.
- No hands waving on the screen while running.

Both of these look real annoying to me, especially due to their extreme repetitive nature as they happen whenever you MOVE. It's ok to have characters hands and arms on screen when you are doing something specific and special; like shooting, hacking a console, prying open a door etc. But NOT when character is simply moving/walking/running around. Since it happens a lot (every time character moves), you cannot avoid but notice how unnatural and repetitive it is. Not to mention I certainly don't lift my hands in front of my face when I run in real life.

I have motion sickness and it kinda seems like its getting worst i guess but I dont get sick in cars, i can read and everything and be fine.

But there are certain games that just the worst. I played goldeneye when i was younger for 30 mins ended up sick for 3 days. Perfect Dark was another game where i wasnt even playing the game but seeing it out of the corner of my eye was making me nausious and i had to turn around and not face the tv. I avoided many games cause their not my cup of tea as well as just avoiding ones i knew i would have issues with. FF15 was giving me it a little bit and i think it was the worse in one city where they had the assassins creed event. I couldnt even finish that. Nier was also giving me problems but you can talk to someone and theres a option to fix the motion sickness. That helped alot i think it cut down on the floatyness of the camera? My friend was playing Bioshock Infinate and that opening part thats all first person was bothering me. I feel alseep and when i woke up they were in the battle area and i started to notice that i wasnt getting the usual feeling and i did notice that it had that ring thing that was small in the middle and then popped bigger when you fought. Even some movies lately they were running in the woods to me it feels like my eyes cant find something to focus on and i just have to look away until its over. I also kinda get it when im watching a letsplay. I trend to just let it run to listen to it instead of watching. XD

I haven't tried the dot in the center of my screen yet. I keep forgetting to try it.

To all the ppl with those great tips to fix motion sickness, let me tell you, that you know shit. Settings don't matter. I have motion sickness and i tried everything, because there are games i'd love to play. Nothing would help.

I absolutely love CD Project Red, but i also absolutely hate their decission for making this game fp only. Because i just can't play it. I mean, they have ppl in the fanbase with motion sickness and yet they don't even offer optional tp. I understand: fp is more immersive and gives the best experience. But i'd rather have a less immersive experience than none at all.

motion sickness is caused by wobbling the camera when walking,running ,etc. don't do this. keep the perspective completely stabilized ala gyroscope. move the hands/guns instead when portraying rapid movement. i'm honestly surprised this isn't common sense by today

Necromancy !!

Probably not a bad thing in this case. It's a problem for me as well. I usually can minimize symptoms by completely breaking away from the screen for an hour (completely turned off -- not even email; also no television watching) for every couple of hours I spend playing. That being said, I'll be eating aspirin like candy by day two of this release.

I know. This topic was discussed already. I rarely make posts on forums, but i'm so disapointed, i decided to make a topic anyway.

I'm a big fan of CDProject and i bought Wichter 3 multiple times for different platforms. I'd really love to play Cyberpunk and so i preordered the game, tho i knew i would get motion sicknesswhen playing it. But i read that the devs know about this issue and would implement settings against it. Long story short: it doesn't work. I get motion sickness from the game and so i sadly had to refund it.

I do not have a special purpose posting this. I just need to express my disapointment about the decision to make this game FPS only. I really hope CDProject will add 3rd person option later.

Like many people I am struggling with motion sickness. I have turned motion blur etc off but I still can't play the game for long which is a real disappointment. Yes I understand 1st person is considered to be more immersive, but here's the thing motion sickness isn't immersive. I don't get motion sickness usually, just this game with the jerky wobbly camera, please, please, please give us a 3rd person option, so that those of us who get physically sick playing the game can play it.

I want to add that I'm a big fan and have been since the 1st Witcher game, I have played all the Witcher games multiple times, especially Witcher 3 on my PS4. So I am really disappointed that I am getting such bad motion sickness with Cyberpunk 2077.

I'm really hoping for at least a FOV slider at some point. I've been able to complete several story missions and progressed through Act 1 with minimal discomfort, but since then I began wandering the city a bit and within 15-20 minutes I had nausea so severe I thought I might black out. I have disabled many suggested visual options such as motion blur etc. and thought initially that the game was very playable, but once out in the city the motion sickness (?) just hit me like a hammer. I'm wondering also if maybe the decreased framerate of the city environment vs. the scripted story missions could be an issue? Anyway, looking forward to future updates and hopefully some additional accessibility options so that I can continue playing what so far has been a very promising game. I'm on stock PS4 fwiw.

Overall I haven't bothered by motion sickness except for 1 instance....Trying to drive a quadro in first person down a crowded street will make u feel sick so fast. That is the only car I've acquired that does it to me too.

I've played about 6 hours since patch 1.05 with no problems. Had to turn the controller x / y sensitivity waaaay down (around 15 for each i think) and that seemed to really help, now the camera movements feel much more natural.

I am still getting consistent camera creep while motionless, where the camera just drifts down and to the left with no input from the controller, which can be unsettling. It occurs in game and also in the menus.

For other motion sickness prone players, I hope you can get the settings dialed in to where you're comfy in this game. It is a lot of fun.

Try to give your eyes a border.
I suffer from severe motion sickness in some games (Minecraft, for example, in full screen mode is totally unplayable for me because of that), but I'm doing good with CP 2077 so far.
The only thing that helped me with other games is to run the game in window mode and shrink it, until there's a 2 to 3 inch border of static desktop background there. Somehow it makes the motion sickness totally disappear when my eyes have that border. It's as if my brain registered "Oh, it's just a game; that explains why the visuals are moving while the body is static".

Good luck, guys. Motion sickness is no joke, it's very uncomfortable on a physical level.

I m doing pretty good, as long as I do not drive for a long time. Driving in a wobbly car is a no go.
But I am surprised in a good way how well I can play it without getting too sick.
( The first time I got sick was in 1994 playing Doom, and back then most people did not understand what I had and there was no google to look it up, people thought I could not handle the blood ( 320x640 I think it was ) .
Fount out myself pretty quick that it was something with speed and not seeing myself ( yep no clue that that was called first person )

But 26 years later the problem is still there. And I was so afraid I was not able to play CP2077 at all. Daughter inherited the motion sickness, she is playing also, and also for it works out pretty well.

Top Bottom