Mount and Blade 2

+
Keep the flag high then.

For me this series looks like DOA, but if its succesful I suppose Kingdome Come Deliverance has a shot at it too.

Last edited:
It's very special. And very dear to many MANY gamers. It's a rather unique game, in a genre of its own, there's nothing quite like it out there, in part because of the vision, creative drive and freedom of just 2 people. This is not something the likes of Ubisoft would attempt nor would they do it better, they have.. different priorities. I wholeheartedly recommend it (the first one - Warband -for now) to anyone that enjoys video-games.

Total War where you're the hero, before Total War had hero units; personally leading your troops into battle in first person, charging into a line on your warhorse, battling sword to sword with an enemy unit, chasing down retreating units, etc.

It was a fun, unique game. I thought MB 2 had been abandoned. Good to see that it wasn't.

Total War where you're the hero, before Total War had hero units; personally leading your troops into battle in first person, charging into a line on your warhorse, battling sword to sword with an enemy unit, chasing down retreating units, etc.

It was a fun, unique game. I thought MB 2 had been abandoned. Good to see that it wasn't.

I remember it had some fun ideas, mainly because it came from Total War side, they didnt follow the trend. If Mount and Blade 2 flops, I almost hope someone continues their work like Ubisoft. Or maybe Warhorse.

I don't see any reasons for them to flop at this point as they are nearing the open BETA stage and they won't be rushing a game just to please the shareholders. i sure hope that none of the major publishers like ubisoft will get their hands on that game, i'd rather wait few years for it to be released than dumbed down, monetized and released on console so it can be ported to PC.

I don't see any reasons for them to flop at this point as they are nearing the open BETA stage and they won't be rushing a game just to please the shareholders. i sure hope that none of the major publishers like ubisoft will get their hands on that game, i'd rather wait few years for it to be released than dumbed down, monetized and released on console so it can be ported to PC.

Other than they have shown to be extremely weak gaming company? 11 year is enough to make things happen, they couldnt do it.

Exactly this of companies is the reason why I thikn game industry should start getting big investors. These "hobbyist" are no fun,

Last edited:
Other than they have shown to be extremely weak gaming company? 11 year is enough to make things happen, they couldnt do it.

Exactly this of companies is the reason why I thikn game industry should start getting big investors. These "hobbyist" are no fun,

Their mistake was to announce it so early, if theyd announce it during 2018 it would be fine. The main problem of big investors is that they care only about the profit and not about game quality or even the developers reputation. Just look at some of the latest releases like Anthem or Fallout 76. Or what the Activision deal did to Blizzard that was the best developer before the deal imo, I mean they took Star Craft 2 and divided it to 3 games for no reason other than maximizing the profits. Or in Ubisoft case the AC series, some of the games are great (AC2 and origins are my favorites) but most of them are average at best, so personally i prefer quality over quantity.
I just hope it will be released in the next year or so and that it will stand up to the expectations.

Guest 3847602

Yeah, I think I'd rather wait another 10 years than see this IP bastardized by some soulless AAA company.
As far as I'm concerned, Ubisoft doesn't even know how to handle their own flagship franchise (which has been turned into a discount Witcher with Origins and Odyssey).
Anyway, here's the latest gameplay footage:

Their mistake was to announce it so early, if theyd announce it during 2018 it would be fine. The main problem of big investors is that they care only about the profit and not about game quality or even the developers reputation. Just look at some of the latest releases like Anthem or Fallout 76. Or what the Activision deal did to Blizzard that was the best developer before the deal imo, I mean they took Star Craft 2 and divided it to 3 games for no reason other than maximizing the profits. Or in Ubisoft case the AC series, some of the games are great (AC2 and origins are my favorites) but most of them are average at best, so personally i prefer quality over quantity.
I just hope it will be released in the next year or so and that it will stand up to the expectations.

At least "big investors" makes sequels what these couldnt do. Companies needs to make profit in order to make more games.

Damn, I should play Mount and Blade again, I remember there was some nice ideas indeed.

Excited about the game, not too keen on the "Clan Renown" feature, though. I think that's a really stupid idea. I vastly prefer individual renown, honor, etc. than having it attached to a clan... What if I don't want to be part of a clan?

Thanks for the gameplay vid.

Somehow, the game looks even rougher than the last time I saw it.. Not sure why. Seems like they disabled all the cloth physics/etc. Not that big of a deal, of course. I've got something like 1000 hours in Warband.

Man, those players are bad. Really bad.

Last edited:

Sild

Ex-moderator
Excited about the game, not too keen on the "Clan Renown" feature, though. I think that's a really stupid idea. I vastly prefer individual renown, honor, etc. than having it attached to a clan... What if I don't want to be part of a clan?

The clan is actually your family, maybe you knew that, but it's worth pointing out since most games don't have such a distinctive feature.

Personally, i'm really curious about the character life-span. In Warband it was kinda cool leveling up your character to near superhuman levels but now i'm not sure how much we'll be able to, before old-age (or perma death). One possible way would be faster leveling and/or children training their stats and levels before reaching maturity. Hmm..

The clan is actually your family, maybe you knew that, but it's worth pointing out since most games don't have such a distinctive feature.

Personally, i'm really curious about the character life-span. In Warband it was kinda cool leveling up your character to near superhuman levels but now i'm not sure how much we'll be able to, before old-age (or perma death). One possible way would be faster leveling and/or children training their stats and levels before reaching maturity. Hmm..
Yeah, I know. It's a dynasty honor system as opposed to an individual honor system. I'd have preferred the systems to work in tandem, and not be mutually exclusive. I.E. your previous ruler was so damn good (or bad) that some of that honor (or dishonor) is passed on as a dynasty buff or debuff, but you still need to prove yourself to fully live up to (or not) your parent's legacy. THAT would be cool.

I love the life-span, permadeath, marriage, heir, etc. systems. Very CK2-like, it seems, but obviously we'll need to see the final systems to say for sure.

Sild

Ex-moderator
I'd have preferred the systems to work in tandem, and not be mutually exclusive. I.E. your previous ruler was so damn good (or bad) that some of that honor (or dishonor) is passed on as a dynasty buff or debuff, but you still need to prove yourself to fully live up to (or not) your parent's legacy. THAT would be cool.

Well, it would definitely make more sense.

I love the life-span, permadeath, marriage, heir, etc. systems. Very CK2-like, it seems, but obviously we'll need to see the final systems to say for sure.

As do i except the "restart" every X hours or so, stat wise at least - actually, thank god it's not renown wise as well! Can you imagine disbanding half your army because your old man died and took the renown which increased his army limit?! - nice for roleplaying, a nightmare in the middle of a war campaign.

Really? How so?

Well, it's a bit complicated and it's something I've been thinking about for years. A "what if" scenario. A few years ago I started some discussion in the Bannerlord community about the possibility of the game coming to EA, and what the implications of such a move would be.

See, in my experience, even the best EA projects -- Klei games, for example -- take a very, very long time to release from EA. and the ordinary "good ones" take even longer. Years, in some cases. Look at Kenshi. Small team, granted, but that was a very ambitious project. Bannerlord is effectively a better Warband in most aspects.

For established studios like Taleworld, EA often comes across as an excuse to drag their feet. They already have their money, they no longer have any incentive to deliver a finished product in the near future.

We could be looking at another 3 years of development. Yes, we get to play it along the way, but we aren't getting a finalized product. We're getting a "very rudimentary" (after 10 years!!!) build of it -- in 6 months time. I would much rather play Cyberpunk 2077 in its feature-complete state, on a set release date (with a few bugs, of course) than play a slow trickle of updates over the course of 2 or 3 years.

As a side note, I tend to "spoil" myself with EA games. I play their earliest state quite a bit, and then future updates never feel as substantial, thus I lose interest. I recognize this is my own fault, but that's why I really, really hoped Taleworlds wouldn't do this. I so badly wanted to just play the bloody game, in a finished but inevitably buggy state, for a pre-determined price, on a specific day. Not tease myself every week/month/6 months with new content updates.

I would love to be wrong. If Bannerlord's EA was just an unpolished version of the feature-complete game, I'd be 100% on board. Fix the bugs, add luxury features, let the community play early. I think that's the appropriate way to use EA funding for studios of this size. But based on new statements from the team, that seems very unlikely to be the case.

/rant over.

As a side note, I tend to "spoil" myself with EA games. I play their earliest state quite a bit, and then future updates never feel as substantial, thus I lose interest. I recognize this is my own fault, but that's why I really, really hoped Taleworlds wouldn't do this. I so badly wanted to just play the bloody game, in a finished but inevitably buggy state, for a pre-determined price, on a specific day. Not tease myself every week/month/6 months with new content updates.

Yea, this is my gripe with EA in general as well. Among others.

We could be looking at another 3 years of development.

I would hope not and it seems unlikely it's going to take that much more. They're already in the closed beta stage and they want to do an open beta like early access for the SP side, probably. If i had to hazzard a guess i'd say another 6 months of EA with 12 at most. Optimistic? Maybe. I'll try to steer clear of playing the early access version, but i'll probably fail at the trying at some point.

Bannerlord is an odd one for sure.

Top Bottom