Mounted Combat

+
Mounted Combat

I was thinking about mounted combat in the witcher, wouldn't that be cool!? i would certainly love it! the powerfull witcher on a strong warhorse!i like to now what you think about that?

I don't know why so many people want this in games?In the very few games I played that had mounted combat (Sacred, Oblivion, etc.), I rarely used it because I found it too tedious or even annoying. I'd better just have a very solid fighting system on foot.

Oblivion didn't have mounted combat, except with mods added. As for the Witcher, mounted combat wouldn't really suit Geralt since Witchers are not trained to ride, traditionally. They are trained to fight with a longsword on foot in many ways, according to the situation. In the end, Witchers are not knights and they should act as such.

While I agree it would be a bit odd to see Geralt perform his witcher styles while mounted, it would be quite interesting to see him fight mounted opponents.I suppose Geralt could do basic swings if he were to mount up though, similar to him using axe and dagger.

ok, we can't expect that he performs his witcher styles while mounted but just basic swings like st_ghost said could be cool...

Sem said:
I don't know why so many people want this in games?In the very few games I played that had mounted combat (Sacred, Oblivion, etc.), I rarely used it because I found it too tedious or even annoying. I'd better just have a very solid fighting system on foot.
There is no mounted combat in Oblivion. There IS one smart-mouthed Ka'jeet that talks about it but all you can do is ride from spot to spot. You must dismount to fight. Two worlds has pretty good mounted combat, but it's hard to master.

WOLF13 said:
true, but look at games as mount and blade, thats a game with great mounted combat!
M&B rocks with mounted combat... Except when you get a good lance and just ride in circles shishkababing everyone... :) That gets a bit dull..

WOLF13 said:
I was thinking about mounted combat in the witcher, wouldn't that be cool!? i would certainly love it! the powerfull witcher on a strong warhorse!i like to now what you think about that?
I wouldn't mind a horse I suppose but then there isn't huge distances to cover in TW so couldn't see one being overly useful unless it killed drowners. Shadowmere would own drowners.Anyway the EE is nearly out and I don't think horses are coming with it and I don't think they will delay it to add them. ;D

pleeeease no supernatural mounts in the witcher. We have enough fairytale mounts who can fly and talk and fight and lay an egg and make bacon & eggs for breakfast, etc. in other games :dead:I don't remember mounted combat in the Witcher
... with the exception of Tea and Lea (hope I got their names right), female zerrikanian warriors (is there a femal word for warrior? ^__^ ) who Geralt met (one of them a bit closer or maybe both). I could imagine Geralt takes an interest in learning more about mounted combat from these warrioresses...I'm sure this word doesn't exit ;D

Tea and Vea :) ... and Geralt rides Roach all the time. Must he dismount for any and every battle ? just curious ...

gamewidow said:
riding a wyvern or a basilisk would be cool :)
Horse "Плотва(Plotva)" will be more than enough. But it useless without long outdoor traveling between the city.I remember only two games with good mounted combat, it's "Mount & Blade" and "Assasin's Creed".PS: I read only Russian version Witcher's book, and don't know horse name in original :p

No, no horse combat. But, that would be interesting:
it would be quite interesting to see him fight mounted opponents.
Instead the three combat styles we have foe each sword, it could be that we would have a fourth: the mounded opponents fight. Or use a dagger, try to throw them off the horse...Great idea, ST_Ghost!

hmm... yes I could imagine a mounted combat with smaller weapons like daggers but usually mounted fighters are equipped with better weapons. And as the Order still plays an important part in the game, they have better equipment, means Geralt has to rearm as well and learn new skills.btw does anyone know why Geralt calls his horses Roach? Its a fish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roach_(fish) ;D

PetraSilie said:
btw does anyone know why Geralt calls his horses Roach? Its a fish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roach_(fish) ;D
That's the exact same question Dandelion asked him once ... without luck ;)As for mounted combat ... witchers are swordsmen, they rely on precise timing, coordination, reflexes and mobility to avoid injuries. You can't dodge an attack when you're butt is nailed to the horse ::) , that's why knights wear armor. The first mounted encounter with a strong monster would be the last. Also, monsters that witchers are after rarely if ever dwell in areas suitable for mounted combat, riding horse in swamps, crypts or graveyards could be a "little" tricky.Anyone who have read the witcher series would tear your heart out if you'd turn Geralt into some crude knight :wave: . That would simply kill all immersion.

xalien said:
As for mounted combat ... witchers are swordsmen, they rely on precise timing, coordination, reflexes and mobility to avoid injuries. You can't dodge an attack when your butt is nailed to the horse ::)
*laugh* Excellent point, and well made, too!

xalien said:
You can't dodge an attack when you're butt is nailed to the horse ::)
Perhaps you should take those 8 inch nails out of your saddle... ::)And actually, yes you can, just not in full chain or plate... History shows lightly armoured cav was pretty efficient, including dodging, the trouble is when the opposition forces your horse to be stationary, thats when the nailing began...Oh and Roach, is also (here anyway) the short name for coc(k)roach... Dunno why he'd call his horse coc(k)roach, except maybe for the same reason I named one of my cats 'flea'(edit: damn text sensor...)

Top Bottom