Movement animations/controls

+
Movement animations/controls

Tnis is something that surprisingly few developers can do right. Geralt , let's be honest, jogged around like Frankestein and alternate movement made control at least bearable.

For all the things they do wrong, I think Ubisoft handles this pretty damn well.

Male with a slight "I own this street" swagger:

Feminine walk, without any exaggerated hip sway :

What would you like to see?

Personally I enjoy more "realistic" animations/movement controls over stiff movement( like in Dogma/Souls games), but I think this is something that requires absolutely surgical precision.
But with this CDPR would need to improve a LOT, to see it done right.

Syndicate is basically god tier animation. It breaks down in the combat, but everything else is pitch perfect. Problem is, Ubi likely has a team of 50 people doing that alone, and it's clear CDPR takes shortcuts. The fighting animations in Witcher strike the perfect balance, but the general movement does not. I'm fine with something in between Dragon's Dogma and Syndicate. I'm not fine with Dark Souls ( too slow) or GTA5 ( to cumbersome and realistic).

I prefer really neutral animations or barring that a choice of them.
Ideally, I hope that CDProjectred design a completely open CC and don't lock anything to choice of sex. I want options, lots of options! The Saint Row games are a good example.
The Ubisoft animations are pretty good but there's still, a little, too much hip roll in Evie's walk for my liking.
If you took the bottom half of the male animation and put that with the top half of the female animation, with a little less shoulder sway, it would look a lot closer to my walking style as a woman.

Last edited:
animations in the witcher 2 and 3 are perfect, the only animations that could be improved are those from human enemies falling from horses
the best way to get realistic animations is through motion capture, nothing can be more realistic

For me I thought they were good.

But combat movement wise, Geralt should've been much faster.

I agree OP. The walking animations in AC Syndicate were pretty good from what I've played. I just hope the control scheme isn't too complicated.

it is enough if the animations re as good as in tw3, the controls need to be easy to use, but that dosn't mean that the gameplay or game mechanis has to be simple
for example the game shadow of mordor, whit the keyboard, for some skills had to be pressed 3 or 4 keys at the same time, when i started the game it was just impossible to continue, a single enemy was very dificult to defeat, i finished the game three times and only then i was comfortable with the controls,
controls have to be fluid, and the game has to be resonsivel, no delays, no stuttering

Problem is, Ubi likely has a team of 50 people doing that alone, and it's clear CDPR takes shortcuts.

CDPR is growing quite a bit for cyberpunk. they can/will be able to throw a lot more people at a problem than they could while making the witcher 3.

Yea, control mechanism is really uncomfortable in witcher 3, the movement in witcher 3 is over "realistic" , just looks fine, but once I "play" it's feel so terrible you know, long delays , shuttering, inexactitude. Personally I prefer MGSV orTomb Raider's control mechanism, maybe they are less realistic but well balance and really enjoyable. Any way, CDPR need do more works in those core systems.

CDPR is growing quite a bit for cyberpunk. they can/will be able to throw a lot more people at a problem than they could while making the witcher 3.

Let's just hope they will devoted those resource in cyberpunk rather than hundreds of people in Gwent.

I don't think the team that will/is working on CP2077 will be larger (or that much larger) than the team that worked on W3. I am pretty certain that a large portion of this growth in amount of people, that CDPR intends to have, will be put to work on the other as of yet unknown AAA-game that CDPR want to make and have out around the 2020 year mark.

Also last two Tomb Raiders did a phenomenal job there...animations with a really natural "flow" to them, but without impeding player's control.
In comparison, I recently finished GTA IV and staircases were a thing to be feared.
Rockstar and CDPR: either do this right or don't do it at all.

Yea, control mechanism is really uncomfortable in witcher 3, the movement in witcher 3 is over "realistic" , just looks fine, but once I "play" it's feel so terrible you know, long delays , shuttering, inexactitude. Personally I prefer MGSV orTomb Raider's control mechanism, maybe they are less realistic but well balance and really enjoyable. Any way, CDPR need do more works in those core systems.

Let's just hope they will devoted those resource in cyberpunk rather than hundreds of people in Gwent.

On Gwent working 40 ppl (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si3ccNK3Uuo 13:35) rest working on Cyberpunk 2077.

BTW: If we are talking about animations, in this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si3ccNK3Uuo 16:20) they are making probably some Cyberpunk melee animations. U can enable subtitles if u want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si3ccNK3Uuo 16:20) they are making probably some Cyberpunk melee animations. U can enable subtitles if u want.
Nice thing about this is folks can see for themselves that programmers make up much less then half of the people necessary to make a game and actually have very little to do with how it looks or plays.

Also it certainly looks like melee will definitely be an option in CP2077!

Last edited:
Nice thing about this is folks can see for themselves that programmers make up much less then half of the people necessary to make a game and actually have very little to do with how it looks or plays.

Also it certainly looks like melee will definitely be an option in CP2077!

Of course melee has to be an option.XD

I mean look how many melee weapons were in CP2020.

It'd be nice if the chosen career would affect the posture of the PC, but that's probably too big a deal to do.

So, as neutral animations as possible would be my choice.

Given the number of staircases that there's likely to be in an urban environment, my biggest hope is that we don't get a repeat of Geralt Falling Down Stairs, but I think that's a different problem, not the animations.

I was happy enough with most of the animations in TW3, except for the female walk/run/jog, which really, really made me cringe.

Top Bottom