Movies to watch?

+
Not strictly Cyberpunk, but a genre that the PnP hit a lot of notes for...

Tarantino movies! That feel of desperate criminals trying to strike it rich is one that has somehow been ignored in this list. Go and check out Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

The Expanse is interesting: http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes

Decent science fiction with good attention to details. Way better depiction of spaceflight (showing gravity effects for example) than many other recent films even such hyped ones like latest Star Wars. Plus general settings are intriguing enough.

Last edited:
The Expanse is interesting: http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes

Decent science fiction with good attention to details. Way better depiction of spaceflight (showing gravity effects for example) that many other recent films even such hyped ones like latest Star Wars. Plus general settings are intriguing enough.

Woah. Thomas Jane?

"Hundreds of years in the future, humans have colonized the solar system. The U.N. controls Earth. Mars is an independent military power. "

Colour me interested.

Me too.
I'm always curious (and often amused) at how law enforcement and the military are portrayed in such things.
Does some unexplained and highly improbable change in human nature render them superfluous?
Have the Nazis returned?
Are they a wasteful drain or resources populated with losers?

I recently had some free time and watched The Martian with a friend... At times, it seemed really great, but at other times, it was a boring mess. Overall, I was a bit disappointed but it is not an entirely bad movie. Sure, the story seems really forced as it screams "it has to happen this way to move the plot along" but the story itself is (MOSTLY) scientifically correct and it is not unbearable. I wouldn't really recommend it in good conscience but if you have some time to kill and nothing better to watch and you love science related stuff just like I am, then it might as well be this movie.

Well, The Expanse is so-far good, but ten minutes in and I was struck with deja vu. Sure enough, I read the book(s). Whiiiich started well, and then iirc, got really stupid. Solid-ish science, but they do that sci-fi thing where character growth is really limited and/or really dumb. Like, I-can't-believe-you-did-that dumb.

We'll see how the show does.

Maybe I'm blind and a little dumb, but what do you mean? Have any good examples of the scifi dumb character growth thing?

Top Bottom