Movies to watch?

+

Kaebus2196

Movies to watch?

Just looking for a casual list of cyberpunk-genre movies to spend some hours watching. I've already seen Blade Runner, the Matrix, RoboCop, and I am about to make Sardukhar proud and watch Equilibrium tonight for the first time. Any other suggestions?

Well, there's a list around here somewhere but

Nemesis

The Wraith

Streets of Fire

Terminator

Dark City

Split Second with Rutger Hauer

Total Recall

Johnny Mnemonic

Aliens

Mad Max

Some of these have cyber, some not. They represent the Edge and/or the Street - cool, tough, dangerous style. Except Johnny Mnemonic - it's pretty stupid, but it's a Gibson story turned movie. Also New Rose Hotel - even worse.

Kaebus2196

I appreciate both the cyber and the punk, both give me a sense of awe and fascination to watch. But the conjunction of the two is an uncontested magnificence to me :3 I have seen the Alien, Mad Max, and Terminator series, and I watched Total Recall once, all terrific films. I specifically loved the darker (more realistic if you will) atmosphere that Aliens and Total Recall brought to space-faring science fiction over other members of the genre more similar to fantasy such as Star Wars. Although Coruscant is one of my favorite cyberpunk environments, just after the city from (the unfortunately cancelled) Prey 2 and the ever-so-dangerous Night City of course.

I'll have to take a look at the other films though. And as for Equilibrium, I was surprised at first by budget management. But I forgive almost any amount of oddly placed effects for a movie in an uncrowded genre as long as the story is good, which it very much was. Although it certainly seemed to take a lot of inspiration from the plot of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, which I also liked.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll take a look on Netflix to see what I can find.

I don't think either of these are really all that much "Cyber"... but two of them definatly have the punk element (I think)... and the third I only included because it it sci-fi, I recall having liked it (it does have a REALLY low rating on rotten tomato though... XD ), and because it's the same actor as in the two first ones.

So... how about some Kurt Russell movies?

"Escape from New York"

"Escape from LA"

and finally: "Soldier"

Hmm... it was a really long time ago, over 15 years ago, that I saw any of these... maybe I should watch them again as well. :D

Judge Dredd (1995) and Dredd (2012). There is also a movie called Strange Days (1995).

You will certainly recognize some aspects of cyberpunk in these movies; although they're not strictly cyberpunk.

Kaebus2196

I loved the 2012 Dredd, although I haven't gotten to take a look at the older one yet. And I haven't even heard of Strange Days at all, so I will look that one up. One that I am surprised to not hear more about is Fifth Element. I mean it had daylight :p but it made me think cyberpunk a bit on that one.

There is so much stuff out there that is, or semi-is, or vaguely is, Cyberpunk... or heck stuff that is not even Cyberpunk at all... that you sometimes basicly forget movies that might be obvious... like Fifth Element. XD

To an extent it is all the same to me... I love close to all Sci-fi stuff really... and do not always seperate "regular", or "alternate", Sci-Fi from Cyberpunk. I am well aware of that there is a difference, clearly... but to me it does not matter to much which kind of Sci-Fi it is, I like it all regardlessly.

Fantasy and Sci-Fi, and anything that can be remotely connected to those two, have always been my two favorit genres in close to all mediums.

Oh, and here is another recommendation, if you have not already seen it, that might be at various levels connected to the Cyberpunk genre (sort of depends on which episode your talking about). It is a TV-Series though, but it is short enough for it to be a viable option for you to spend some several hours watching it, since it only has 2 seasons with 3 episode per season.

"Black Mirror" is it's name, and it is a British TV-Series. Basicly each episode is compleatly stand alone. No real connection between each other, other than that they are all depicing some kind of possible future (close or far). And each episode revolves around it's own premis, it's own theme and idea that they explore. And they are pressented in such a way where it feels like they could quite possibly become an actual reality in our own world. All of the cast, as far as I know, is compleatly changed for each episode as well. I don't want to say anything more about it, just in case, because I feel that it could potentually spoil an episode way to much to give any specifik details about an episode. I would not even google and read to much about the series if I where someone who had not seen it yet, or read any kind of description of an episode at where ever you would go to see the series.

Regarding "The Filth Element", I much rather be groped by a Sumo fighter in a Tokyo crowded train that watch that. :p If I want to laugh a bit cyberpunk style, I would watch "Brazil" any day instead.

But I can recomend "Jacob's Ladder", which is not straight Cyberpunk (it lacks the cibernetic element) but it has many of its anciliary elements( noir feel, ominous shadowy enemy that threatens to engulf the protagonist, antihero character, foreboding dreams, tragic story).
View attachment 27677

And in honor of our forum guru Wisdom (for whom we expect a speedy recovery) I can recomend one of his favourite anime; "Jin-Roh". (It's like Ghost in the Shell on drugs).
View attachment 27678

Attachments

• 51M4MX16CTL.jpg
    51M4MX16CTL.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Jin.Roh.full.1599409.jpg
    Jin.Roh.full.1599409.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
You are more than entitled to love the movie, but I can't take the statement back. :p

And I would even say "The Fifth Element" is on the same level as "Tank Girl", regarding the Cyberpunk heritage. Not the particular direction CDP RED or Mike Pondsmith would go for, I say.

But again, the world is diverse, as far as fictional worlds go, anyone is entitled to bake the cake and eat it too.

Tank Girl and Fith Element, both great cult films in my eyes, and while not exactly Cyberpunk, and not something that CDPR should be aiming for with regards to 2077, they do have the right vibe and imigary. They can be a useful influence, though not a primary one.

Try this one right here...

Attachments

• http-www.gstatic.com-tv-thumb.jpg
    http-www.gstatic.com-tv-thumb.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 52
Tank Girl

I'd suggest reading the comic over watching the film - Hewlett's art is amazing and the stories are much better.

Ghost in the Shell (Original movie and Stand Alone Complex)
Bladerunner
The First Matrix movie (Had a great place to end, wish I didn't see the sequels as it ruined my imagined version of the events after the movie)
Appleseed is alright
Dredd (2012)
Terminator 1
Akira

Top Bottom