Movies / TV Shows!

+
Hope you don't mind the necro mods but i've been watching a movie called "Beowulf and Grendel", a really brilliant film that places a new slant on the old scandinavian saga poem. Much better than the animated movie they did a few years back, it has a real witcherish sense of grey morality and a brilliantly realised setting filmed over the stunning backdrops of Iceland.

Recommended for us sons and daughters of Kaer Morhen.

Sure lol, the Beowulf with Lambert was a mess of a low cost movie. The most memorable thing in it is a very young Rhona Mitra, pre acting lessons.

Blothulfur said:
Hope you don't mind the necro mods but i've been watching a movie called "Beowulf and Grendel", a really brilliant film that places a new slant on the old scandinavian saga poem. Much better than the animated movie they did a few years back, it has a real witcherish sense of grey morality and a brilliantly realised setting filmed over the stunning backdrops of Iceland.

Recommended for us sons and daughters of Kaer Morhen.

Yeah, awesome movie. Also deals a little with the Pagan/Christian debate in how the story will later be told, which is extra cool. When I first watched it (some three years ago) and saw the red-headed witch I grinned and thought "There's Abigail!"

Bloth, if you enjoyed it, you should totally check "The shadow of the Raven", an old (early '90s) Icelandic movie about vikings in Iceland and their clanish quarrels, within the context of Christianity having displaced the Old Gods (also, the central anecdote is a retelling of the Tristan/Isolde story). Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-skugga-hrafnsins-Region-Icelandic/dp/B004BN7M9O/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1325049398&sr=1-1

If vikings are your thing there's a danish arthouse take on the theme (in the guise of the "psychedelic" movies of the sixties and seventies) made in 2009. The international title is Valhalla Rising.

There's a 2008 Finnish film called Sauna that's very good if you like the psychological/fantasy horror aspects of the Christian/pagan conflict. It's low-key, though, not action-oriented.

Otherwise, I'm watching Kurosawa's Yojimbo/Sanjuro films...again...very happily as always. Definitely recommended for The Witcher community.

One of my favorite Viking movies is "The 13th Warrior" with Antonio Banderas. Probably not very historically accurate but fun to watch. If you've never seen "The War Lord" with Charlton Heston, track it down asap. I highly recommend it, Heston is surprisingly understated and the story is grim yet poignant.

Another fine Viking movie that got sadly overlooked is Outlander: an alien scout chasing a dangerous beast crashes in dark ages Norway...mayhem ensues. Its actually very well done, solid B-movie entertainment. Here's the Amazon link with a trailer

Cowboys & Aliens tried the same kind of mash up story, Outlander is better IMO. Aside from Vikings, playing Batman: AC got me watching Batman: The animated series(which the games draw heavily from) again. Even if you're not a Batman fan they're worth checking out, the animation is excellent, the stories well written and Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill nail their roles.

I watched Immortals last night. My only reason to watch it was the director, Tarsem Singh - I love his artistic vision and of course, the movie was shot beautifully, every scene is a damn masterpiece. The rest of it was "eh", I didn't even try to think about the story, actors were okay, music I didn't pay attention to (some say it's good when you don't notice the music...) and action scenes were pretty to look at, but the overall feel was low-budget, stripped down version of 300. My friend commented it looked like a 90s movie to her, topped with hipsterish "retro" effect.

However, if you like nice visuals, give it a shot.

And I just learned that Eiko Ishioka died :( She was costume designer for Tarsem's The Cell, The Fall (THIS MOVIE. OH DEAR, THIS MOVIE. ♥), Immortals, and Bram Stoker's Dracula. Here's a tumblr tag link where you can see most of her work: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/eiko-ishioka
Costumes in Immortals were beautiful. I've been crazy about gold lately and there's a bunch of Greek Gods who wear nothing but beautiful gooold. I will miss Eiko's vision so much.

227 said:
Yes. A million times yes. Don't forget the genius of Walton Goggins playing Boyd though, especially in the first season. Words don't exist that can adequately describe the love I have for this show.

Justified is a good show with great characters! Just 2 episodes into the third season and I'm already hooked again.

Also SouthLAnd just started again and it looks like it will be another great season.

Guess I'm the only one who loves The Good Wife? Also because mine is a bad bad one! =}

Game of Thrones, House, Rome, Braking Bad but my favorite tv show definitely is the new BSG series, the four whole seasons, pilot and extra long feature films of it!

Movies, there are too many to mention and most of what everyone here loved too. But this last one I've watched today... I'm so in love with it! Or with the girl with the dragon tattoo to be more precise.

Right now the most anticipated movie for me since october 2009 is The Dark Knight Rises!! Been a fan of batman since I knew how to read I guess and die hard fan of Nolan since I watched The Prestigue another masterpiece I must say. (But since there can be only one masterpiece my money goes to TDKR upcoming) Also The Amazing Spiderman looks great, thank goodness they are getting the story 'right' this time (I love Sam Raimi's triology but this one seems more 'appropriate' imo) TV shows- Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dexter can't wait for them to air! Spartacus started the season premier was great, and on going Person of Interest is great If there are any Kiefer Sutherland and 24 fans here then be sure to check out 'Touch', new sci-fi show based on connectivity in the universe where all events are related logically dam cool

C'mon people I could hear Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones being good anywhere let's share some 'hipster'[meaning non-mainstream] stuff.

Recently watched Leon the Professional thought it was really good. Features Natalie Portman as a loli

guipit said:
C'mon people I could hear Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones being good anywhere let's share some 'hipster'[meaning non-mainstream] stuff.

Recently watched Leon the Professional thought it was really good. Features Natalie Portman as a loli

An Absolute Masterpiece. I really liked Léon and how mentally slow his character was, One very memorable character.

RageGT said:
Guess I'm the only one who loves The Good Wife? Also because mine is a bad bad one! =}

Julianna Margulies is the only reason I gave that show a chance because the previews were not interesting, but I loved her in ER. I also liked Chris Noth on Law and Order so I figured good actors can make the show interesting, whatever the subject.

It's an OK show but the plot moves forward excruciatingly slow. Every episode is 98 percent 'random case' and 2 percent 'moving her story forward'. It becomes a pain to watch because I just don't care about a lot of their side stories and the main story gets so little screen time.

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
Right now the most anticipated movie for me since october 2009 is The Dark Knight Rises!! Been a fan of batman since I knew how to read I guess and die hard fan of Nolan since I watched The Prestigue another masterpiece I must say. (But since there can be only one masterpiece my money goes to TDKR upcoming) Also The Amazing Spiderman looks great, thank goodness they are getting the story 'right' this time (I love Sam Raimi's triology but this one seems more 'appropriate' imo) TV shows- Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dexter can't wait for them to air! Spartacus started the season premier was great, and on going Person of Interest is great If there are any Kiefer Sutherland and 24 fans here then be sure to check out 'Touch', new sci-fi show based on connectivity in the universe where all events are related logically dam cool

Now you reminded me of when I was 6 or something and my mom got me a Batman costume for Carnival but it was Gold and Black. I hated it because the colours were so different of the TV show and also because it itched and stung the **** out of me!

Amazing how a child could see a hero in this:

Now, Nolan's Dark Knight is so much better! heh

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
Julianna Margulies is the only reason I gave that show a chance because the previews were not interesting, but I loved her in ER. I also liked Chris Noth on Law and Order so I figured good actors can make the show interesting, whatever the subject. It's an OK show but the plot moves forward excruciatingly slow. Every episode is 98 percent 'random case' and 2 percent 'moving her story forward'. It becomes a pain to watch because I just don't care about a lot of their side stories and the main story gets so little screen time.

So true. I hate it! I keep anxious until the next week's episode wanting to know what's going to happen. But the side stories are funny though. Some are very well written, IMHO.

Top Bottom