Movies / TV Shows!

+
Sons of Anarchy and Person of Interest are the best things to happen on tv.

Also I saw this. We would be the first to know if it's true or something of the sort is happening right? RIGHT!?

Saw the Battle of Five Armies cinema trailer yesterday, looks like they've decided to go completely off the map for the last Tolkien they're licensed for (who am I kidding, Aragorns going to have a trilogy derived from the ~10 page appendix entry in a few years no doubt). Well at least we get to see the inevitable uncanon playground ride they'll build soon enough.

Walk Amongst the Tombstones was excellent though !

Saw the Battle of Five Armies cinema trailer yesterday, looks like they've decided to go completely off the map for the last Tolkien they're licensed for (who am I kidding, Aragorns going to have a trilogy derived from the ~10 page appendix entry in a few years no doubt). Well at least we get to see the inevitable uncanon playground ride they'll build soon enough.

Is someone a wee bit grumpy today? :harhar:

Not particularly, I guess that comment does sound so but that was my reaction (not entirely unexpected) to seeing the trailer ;)

I have a Hardback copy of The Hobbit over on my shelf there, inside is an inscription from my brother on my 4th birthday. The Hobbit is an important book for me, I wish they had done it justice.

Not particularly, I guess that comment does sound so but that was my reaction (not entirely unexpected) to seeing the trailer ;)

I have a Hardback copy of The Hobbit over on my shelf there, inside is an inscription from my brother on my 4th birthday. The Hobbit is an important book for me, I wish they had done it justice.

I'm personally not much of a fan of Tolkiens' works. The sheer size of the books (much like George R.R. Martins' books) scared me off. I've watched and loved Peter Jackson's interpretations but I suppose you can't please everyone, right?

I've watched and loved Peter Jackson's interpretations but I suppose you can't please everyone, right?

Och aye this is true, and to be honest most of the time I don't think you should even try in art particularly (to please everyone), and maybe thats part of the problem. On balance & all together Jackson has done a fine job, hard to imagine any better. But as they deviated further from the books with each subsequent movie the quality degraded in line, plus i've never been convinced The Hobbit movie shouldn't have been directed more towards a younger audience, just as the book. Also, rampant profiteering bothers me in general.

Ah well like I said not a surprise, could be compounded by the nerdGAFsm in that other thread i've been reading, or I'm just hungry ;)

I'm personally not much of a fan of Tolkiens' works. The sheer size of the books (much like George R.R. Martins' books) scared me off. I've watched and loved Peter Jackson's interpretations but I suppose you can't please everyone, right?

I'm the same. I tried reading the Hobbit when I was a kid and even then I felt it was too slow and immature lol. I'm guessing the book was aimed at boys so maybe the sense of humour wasn't intended for me, but I found it so childish.

GRRM's books on the other hand start off great and then just get bigger and less fun to read. The 4th book of Asoaif bored me so much I gave up on the series, which is really something because normally once I start reading a series I keep going till the bitter end; but I just couldn't bring myself to suffer any more. I love myself too much for that.

I'm the same. I tried reading the Hobbit when I was a kid and even then I felt it was too slow and immature lol. I'm guessing the book was aimed at boys so maybe the sense of humour wasn't intended for me, but I found it so childish.

GRRM's books on the other hand start off great and then just get bigger and less fun to read. The 4th book of Asoaif bored me so much I gave up on the series, which is really something because normally once I start reading a series I keep going till the bitter end; but I just couldn't bring myself to suffer any more. I love myself too much for that.

I only managed to read A Game Of Thrones, then I gave up after seeing that A Clash Of Kings was over 100 pages longer! I can't read almost 1000 pages of the same book, it just gets tiresome and boring, and I did the same thing with the T.V show. The characters just come across as incredibly stupid and petty, that I just thought: "Let the White Walkers have them!"

I also had the same problem as you when I read the Hobbit and I'm a guy! It was just so weirdly written that I just gave up just after Gollum's cave.

@Aes Sídhe
Ah, such good toilet ammo! :lol:

I liked Narn I Chin Hurin ~ though some dismiss it as having the hand of Christopher (is that something like the hand of Saruman?) in it. The Silmarillon was ok too, but LOTR seemed over-long and a bit silly in parts, and There and Back Again was notable for being 'one of the first' of it's kind, rather than a pinnacle of story telling (IMO).

My first 'big book' which I read independently at around that age was Watership Down ~ and I got the Private Life of the Rabbit to understand it better at the age of around 5-ish.

I liked Narn I Chin Hurin

I'm a fan of that one too, and the Christopher Lee audio version. I don't feel Tolkien Jr's hand is heavy on it. Tolkien did have multiple version of the story, it was one of his personal favourites, Chris just edited them together and smoothed out the joins. Silmarillion was always may favourite Tolkien, closest to the epic language of legend I enjoy so much.

My first 'big book' which I read independently at around that age was Watership Down ~ and I got the Private Life of the Rabbit to understand it better at the age of around 5-ish.

Bright Eyes still brings a tear to my eye, curiously I've never cared about Bambis mother ;)

Oh aye, and I still remember the first time I saw a Black Rabbit protecting a warren, scary big bugger seemed 10 times the size of its fellow coneys...

You do know that it's before Batman right? Things are going to be a bit different.

Of course I know it's set before Batman... I watched the show. I meant the execution of the show in general, it's all manner of cheese.

Top Bottom