Movies / TV Shows!

+
Really liking both "Watchmen" and "His Dark Materials" on HBO so far. They do this to me every time I start thinking I can cancel my subscription.

Do yourself a favor and watch Mr. Mercedes seasons 1, 2 and the ongoing third. I'm baffled how no one is talking about it.

Really liking both "Watchmen" and "His Dark Materials" on HBO so far. They do this to me every time I start thinking I can cancel my subscription.
I've read the Watchmen comic and seen the movie. Both were great. Did you see the movie? How good is the show compared to the movie if you did see it?

I've read the Watchmen comic and seen the movie. Both were great. Did you see the movie? How good is the show compared to the movie if you did see it?
I like the show better so far, but it's not a direct adaptation. It's set 30+ years later as far as I can tell (so today-ish) but with many of the same themes.

Just started watching the anime Death Note, and -- holy hoo-ha -- I get why this is so popular! Fantastic premise. Not really a huge fan of anime in general, but this is a great story.

Just started watching the anime Death Note, and -- holy hoo-ha -- I get why this is so popular! Fantastic premise. Not really a huge fan of anime in general, but this is a great story.

Excelent series.

I'll also take advantage of this opportunity to acquaint you to two other Excelent story series: Steins;Gate and Monster.

As further endorsement for the latter, Guillermo del Toro has taken multiple steps to bring it to the big screen, unfortunately, to no avail so far.

Excelent series.

I'll also take advantage of this opportunity to acquaint you to two other Excelent story series: Steins;Gate and Monster.

As further endorsement for the latter, Guillermo del Toro has taken multiple steps to bring it to the big screen, unfortunately, to no avail so far.

I'll check them out. Really impressed by the character work and how intricate the plot is in Death Note. It's got a Holmes vs. Moriarty vibe.

A word of caution, whatever you do, do NOT watch season 2 because it's plain bad.

I agree with Monster. It's not like a typical anime, which means you [SigilFey] might actually appreciate it. However, I very much disagree with Steins;Gate. You should avoid the anime entirely. Don't get me wrong, I actually like the first season, but I would not recommend it to a non-anime fan.

I'll check them out. Really impressed by the character work and how intricate the plot is in Death Note. It's got a Holmes vs. Moriarty vibe.
A word of caution, whatever you do, do NOT watch season 2 because it's plain bad.

I agree with Monster. It's not like a typical anime, which means you [SigilFey] might actually appreciate it. However, I very much disagree with Steins;Gate. You should avoid the anime entirely. Don't get me wrong, I actually like the first season, but I would not recommend it to a non-anime fan.

Even though, as far as presentation goes, Steins;Gate might be a more typical anime compared to Monster (and apparently more lighthearted) it's not that different from Death Note (except with a more satisfying conclusion). Hell, it's a classic, anime fan or not :p

That said i agree with 4RM3D that Monster might be more up your alley (though personally i hope you get around to both and tell us what you thought!)

I don’t know if I’ve already said this here, but Mr. Robot is currently my favorite TV show of all time after Breaking Bad :ok: I can’t recommend it enough!

...That’be all :giggle:

Repo Men (2010). Jude Law and Forest Whittaker give great performances in this proper cyberpunk film. I'd never taken the trouble to see it, but it works really well and the ending is perfectly in keeping with the cyberpunk theme. If you haven't seen it, make time to do so. Just something to fill the days until September.

I'll also throw in In Time (2011). I remember seeing it around the time it came out and was above my expectations. Has quite a few cyberpunk-ish themes in it.

Top Bottom