Movies / TV Shows!

+
Watched an anime lately after like ten years of not touching them.

Attack on Titan.

Just one season so far. It started out great, some cool animations, and came with high praise. But I lost patience with it the further I got into its 25-episodes season, due to a couple main things. First, those Titans are overpowered. Kinda remind me of the Reapers. I don't care much for God-like enemies. But more importantly - it's just too emotionally exaggerated. That's what bothered me the most. This would be a standard dialogue in the show:

Panicking Soldier 1: We're gonna die man!
Enraged Soldier 2: No way! I'll kill them all!
Recently-Panicking-But-Now-Inspired Soldier 1: *gaaaaaaaaaaasp!!!* uhhhhh!

Why is someone gasping every four seconds? This really ticked me off. And over the most minor things, too. Like a display of a backbone and common sense from some other chump. If the excessive sentimentality were toned down a bit a lot, I would've enjoyed it.

Forbidden Planet. Still one of the greatest sci fi/horror movies ever created, despite being over fifty years old, also one of the best adaptations of Shakespeare's the Tempest there's ever been. The Disney artist who created the Monster from the Id was a genius, the sound effects folk even more so, a truly haunting theme tunes that still sends shivers through you, and the set design and scale is breathtaking. The studio system might have produced a lot of dross, but this was their best work.

Forbidden Planet. Still one of the greatest sci fi/horror movies ever created, despite being over fifty years old, also one of the best adaptations of Shakespeare's the Tempest there's ever been. The Disney artist who created the Monster from the Id was a genius, the sound effects folk even more so, a truly haunting theme tunes that still sends shivers through you, and the set design and scale is breathtaking. The studio system might have produced a lot of dross, but this was their best work.

Joshua Meador was the creator of the Monster from the Id. He and fellow animator John Hench won an Oscar for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, with that wonderful giant squid. The music was by electronic music pioneers Bebe and Louis Barron; this film has the first fully electronic score, ever. Disney was too cheap to pay union musicians, and the Barrons were denied an Oscar nomination, because they were non-union.

Just brilliant tech effects work in both films, and give Disney credit for giving them the freedom and resources to do it well.

Last edited:
Anyone seen the new Planet of the Apes movies? The latest is getting rave reviews. Directed by Mat Reeves. I recall being mesmerized by the novel when I was teenager.

Last edited:
Anyone seen the new Planet of the Apes movies? The latest latest is getting rave reviews. Directed by Mat Reeves. I recall being mesmerized by the novel when I was teenager.

I've been meaning to see them but I've never got the chance. I've heard that Andy Serkis is amazing as Cesar, but that's it.

Seen Transformers on Saturday. Dont know what reviews say and I dont care.. I liked it. The best film in the series. Much less silly comady moments, action, action, action, action.. no boring moments talking about dating and parents issues.

I'm skipping around watching bits of the supposedly horid TV series of Witcher, and I have to say low budget problems aside it captures the spirit of the books quite well. I think Michal Zebrowski does a great job as Geralt. It's a shame the series never got better production values. I love the scene in the first minute. Geralt's like 'bitch, do we have to go through this shit again?' :lol:

[video=youtube;-vyQp-KBeXo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vyQp-KBeXo&index=61&list=PL83966CF606D760F4[/video]

Last edited:
Anyone seen the new Planet of the Apes movies? The latest is getting rave reviews. Directed by Mat Reeves. I recall being mesmerized by the novel when I was teenager.

I recently saw the first one coz I was reluctant to watch it when it came out, I was all meh, it was pretty decent. Looking forward for this one when it releases here.

Is it faithful to the book?

For the most part yes, Some parts the book did better but overall you might like the movie better.

Seen Transformers on Saturday. Dont know what reviews say and I dont care.. I liked it. The best film in the series. Much less silly comady moments, action, action, action, action.. no boring moments talking about dating and parents issues.

Ditto. It was pure eye candy and much fun, served its purpose

This is actually a fantastic premise, focusing on the real life Vlad Tepes and turning him into a vampire. *The idea that Vlad had to become a monster to play his role as ruler is arguably true. Too bad It'll be over the top Hollywood crap in the end.

*We need a certain Romanian bear to comment here.

Oh look another idiotic movie taking the piss on history in favor of dumb special effects..."sigh". It seems only China is capable of producing good history movies these days.

Really if you want to tell the story of Dracula as someone who was a good guy but became a monster to save his kingdom just tell history, it's far far better and interesting then this piece of junk. Also Vlad is a bigger asshole.

Last edited:
*We need a certain Romanian bear to comment here.

As you said, premise is interesting, too bad the execution looks to be kinda meh (but it's Hollywood, no surprise there). Although, 10/10 for zombie vampire Charles Dance.

0/10 for Țepeș not having his glorious moustache.

Anyhow, saw this vid today, pretty cool insight into how visual effects are handled in Game of Thrones (warning, season 4 spoilers):

Emmy awards are soon upon us and I noticed that Breaking Bad is nominated. Was surprised at first until I remembered the final season was released right after the previous awards. Well here's to Breaking Bad taking in one or two last awards.

At last I took courage and I saw the movie Dylan Dog: Dead of the Night, adaptation of an Italian cult comic.

Ok, I must admit this is a “small” personal vent.

Warning: not recommended for those who want to save the mental and physical health. This movie is a fuc*ing abomination, so silly and useless at the end of the film you get the urge to break something. In fact, taking just a scene from the film, my reaction while the credits ran was this:
Translation: This world will finally know my wrath!

View attachment 4773
A horror movie with an uncommon flatness, inserted into a folk iconography turned out like a sock. Vampires, zombies and werewolves into a embarrassing screenplay, empty characters, and narrative intensity hugging zero.

For copyright reasons, it lacks the historical assistant (which in a nutshell is a parody of the comedian Groucho), again for reasons of copyright it lacks the famous white beetle that is black in the movie instead (but I have not noticed this too much). Among the comic characters there is only Dylan… who is not Dylan! Even this character has been completely distorted.
In my opinion Dylan Dog is one of the richest and most complex comic ever conceived, so that belonging to the horror genre is simplistic, as exact. Instead Munroe criminally impoverishes the comic, reproducing only the more trivial and packaged stuff in a consumer product.

Occasionally something of the real Dylan Dog emerges, even if billions of miles away (the "market" of spare parts for the living dead reminds me a lot comic issue #7, The Twilight Zone), and the italian dubbing provided the expression "Giuda ballerino!" that the protagonist says a lot of times when he is in disbelief. but overall the film is a fool, banal, coated, soporific horror, a blasphemous "tribute" to a work that does not deserve such treatment.
Usually I do not imbalance but in two words: it’s just crap.

If you're a fan and you're curious, or just want to hurt yourself, watch it, maybe you gain the reputation of a martyr, at least.
I read this comic since I was 8 years old and despite the ups and downs (especially in recent times, where the quality of the stories is low and trivial but it seems to be recovering slowly with the last two numbers came out) I've always loved this comic, I can say I am attached in some way.

But I was not expecting an adaptation as a heretic as this. I say the words “horror movie” is an apt description because it is a real horror.

Attachments

• Immagine.jpg
    Immagine.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 37
I'm skipping around watching bits of the supposedly horid TV series of Witcher, and I have to say low budget problems aside it captures the spirit of the books quite well. I think Michal Zebrowski does a great job as Geralt. It's a shame the series never got better production values. I love the scene in the first minute. Geralt's like 'bitch, do we have to go through this shit again?' :lol:]

I don't find the series to be too bad. I think the main complaint that's voiced is that they don't follow the books well (though about the spirit you are right). Michał Żebrowski is a good actor.

So I'm being fashionably late again, having seen The LEGO Movie last weekend. It was pretty fun! Definitely one of the better animated movies in the past few years, and I loved that they didn't shy away from making jokes that required you to be older than 11 to 'get'. :p And now I want a Unikitty...

At last I took courage and I saw the movie Dylan Dog: Dead of the Night, adaptation of an Italian cult comic.

It's a shame every time Hollywood ruins a good comic book series, unfortunately it happens way too often, especially with lesser known titles. I've read way too few Dylan Dog comics, but I liked them. You might like Dellamorte Dellamore, it's an Italian movie based on a novel by Dylan Dog's author, and it's more DD than the DD movie... also what's up with that guy and DD initials? Oh, and it's campy as all hell. But there's a certain charm to it.

I usually find this thread intimidating and try to stay away, but I thought I would go ahead and ask.

Has anyone watched Rick and Morty? It's a super weird and trippy animated show about interdimensional travel and just random absurd events, which I personally find hilarious and very entertaining. It's like mixing Back to the future, Dr. Who and Monty Python.

Can be found online at adult swim, and now that the first season is over I believe all episodes are available.

Top Bottom