Movies / TV Shows!

+
It's fantasy to be sure. I stopped expecting historical realism after the 3rd episode. What I do feel it gets right is some of the ethos and adventuring spirit of the Vikings, as well as their disregard for Christians, at least in the early part of the era.

Aye for all me complaints it is cracking good stuff and it does capture the right spirit, in that way it's kind of like the first Conan film with Arnie. It's not Howard's exact vision and Arnie isn't his Celtic superman, but the spirit of the film is bang on. Mad Man Milius' finest hour.

What I learned from episode 2 of Vikings: don't eat mysterious mushrooms.

Watched 3 episodes from season 3 of House of Cards. Got that Pussy Riot cameo...sigh I know it's a political show but did they have to invite those fools there? Eh thankfully Frank looked at them as idiots so that's good. The LGBT protesters were reasonable enough.

Nice Putin impersonation there with Petrov, though still different. Overall good impression so far from my perspective.

Got to episode 7: Clarie you bloody imbecile.

Last edited:
What I learned from episode 2 of Vikings: don't eat mysterious mushrooms.

*snip*
ROFL

This episode was a little slow, but I get that they're building tension for the inevitable clash between Christianity and the old gods. I wonder which side Ragnar will come down on.

I've been watching Luther recently, quite like it, Idris Elba is in his prime in that and it has a really nice opening sequence. I really can't think of many words to describe it other than that I really liked it and wish for more

I also watched the racing movie Redline(2009) and it's really something, the most fluid animations I have ever seen, turns out it's been in the works for 7 years and it shows. Brilliant synchronization of music and intense racing scenes

Celebrated setting up a new HTPC last Saturday with a Swedish double feature:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (video is spoilerific)
[video=youtube;AvhB-JP66X4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvhB-JP66X4&list=PL65A0A222EED0BA4D&index=4[/video]
"I've never done this before. Hold still, or it'll get messy."

Let the Right One In (soundtrack video)
Still a better romance than Twilight. Nobody does tween romances as well as the Swedes (see My Life as a Dog).

Episode 3 of Vikings was fucking awesome. I'm glad it really took off. All the dynamics between cultures and characters are heating up. Floki's plea to Ragnar was Skarsgard's best scene. And Lagertha...you naughty girl. She should stay right where she is. I'm dithering on Ecbert's sincerity regarding her. Maybe he really does like her, or maybe she's a pawn.

Season 3 of House of Cards was meh, and this has to be one of the most ridiculous and idiotic portrayals of foreign policy I've seen in years. Their complete lack of understanding of Middle Eastern politics aside (UN troops in Jordan Valley, really? PA to tell Hamas and Hezbollah, who are enemies, to stop escalation? Really?), the portrayal of Russia is so comical, it's literally like a James Bond Sean Connery era villain.

They should have stuck to domestic and congress politics not taking itself too seriously.

It's like as if they sacrificed they everything in terms of rationality just to make a cool rivalry between Viktor Putin and Frank...and it just fell flat on it's head when it came to authenticity. Mind you I liked that they portrayed Petrov, he certainly gave the vibe as a good manipulator, in particular with how he played Claire but seriously...

There's no way Russia or Vladimir Putin would ever refuse to accept a US scale back in terms of their ABM defenses in Europe over....a statement by a gay rights activist. ARE YOU ARE FUCKING DELUSIONAL NETFLIX?! I get it that in the US and the West people believe these people really matter to Russia or Putin, but in reality he doesn't give one iota of a shit about them.

I did like Petrov's little speech about the law though. Because it at least shows why VP did it: Populism.

Petrov would be a shit manipulator, you can see him coming a mile away and I was able to deduce what he was trying to do the moment we were told the Russian soldiers died (just like I was able to deduce every single plot twist because of how predictable it is). Which incidentally, is also idiotic if he was truly behind it. Yes, let's make Russia look like a fool for losing troops in one of the few missions abroad it has a few days in.

I am not a fan of Putin, but Petrov is a disservice to him.

The entire foreign policy plot was comically stupid from beginning to end.

Episode 3 of Vikings was fucking awesome. I'm glad it really took off. All the dynamics between cultures and characters are heating up. Floki's plea to Ragnar was Skarsgard's best scene. And Lagertha...you naughty girl. She should stay right where she is. I'm dithering on Ecbert's sincerity regarding her. Maybe he really does like her, or maybe she's a pawn.
Only thing I don't like is that they're making the Saxons out to be complete wusses and buffoons, apart from Ecbert himself. The fights have also not been as exciting this season.

And yeah, House of Cards has gotten silly and lost its character edge completely.

Anyone watching "Supernatural"?
I've just started Season 10, and would appreciate a relatively spoiler-free indication of whether Dean recovers fairly quickly or if his bad-guy status is going to be the theme for the entire season (it's getting boring awfully fast).

Anyone watching "Supernatural"?
I've just started Season 10, and would appreciate a relatively spoiler-free indication of whether Dean recovers fairly quickly or if his bad-guy status is going to be the theme for the entire season (it's getting boring awfully fast).

Yes.

Stoked.

HBO Togetherness season 1 finale aired last night. Phenomenal acting, low key yet superlative script.
Along with Girls and True Detective,this show reaffirms HBO as the leading voice in contemporary TV.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to True Detective season 2. We'll get HBO again for a while and catch up on all the others on HBO GO.

Top Bottom