Movies / TV Shows!

+
Still can't get over the season finale of SOA and mid season finale of Arrow. Both were epic, the former though was completely horrifying too D:

Right now at season 4 of The Shield, so much awesome. Remind me again, why shows like this and The Wire are not so on the top like the other overhyped stuff?

Also ya, saw The Hobbit 2 last night at a special screening. Fun watch, quite obviously over half the movie was made for the movie not from the book. And Smaug was magnificent!

I kinda recently decided to get back into watching anime again, and am currently looking for something really good to watch. Anyone here followed Shingeki no kyojin / Attack on Titan? I've heard and seen a lot of praise from this particular show, but that has mostly been for its animations. So I would like to know if the story is particularly great and if the characters and memorable, since those features tend to be what I mostly love when it comes to anime (and in general as well).

Chewin3 said:
I kinda recently decided to get back into watching anime again, and am currently looking for something really good to watch. Anyone here followed Shingeki no kyojin / Attack on Titan? I've heard and seen a lot of praise from this particular show, but that has mostly been for its animations. So I would like to know if the story is particularly great and if the characters and memorable, since those features tend to be what I mostly love when it comes to anime (and in general as well).

Pretty good story(far as I'll go to avoid spoilers) and memorable characters. My opinions, of course.

CostinMoroianu said:
I just learned today that Peter O'Toole has died, R.I.P. The world has lost one of it's finest.

Eight Best Actor nominations and never an Oscar. He played Lawrence the same year Gregory Peck played Atticus Finch; he played Henry II the same year Cliff Robertson played Charly. He tried to turn down an honorary Academy Award in 2003, saying he wasn't through and wanted another chance to "win the bugger outright".

Here he is on TFI Friday: "Peter O'Toole Delivers Lines That Are Plainly Beneath Him"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHAH7eQGEQI[/media]

Dean Norris (Hank from Breaking Bad) is kinda different type of person than I expected: https://twitter.com/deanjnorris/status/413005450678788097

I watch Top Gear, The Big Bang Theory and The Jeremy Kyle show, that's about all I have been watching lately... I usually only watch TV if i'm at my girlfriends house

Just finished watching The Shield and DAM! My mind is completely blown. One of the greatest things every made on screen.

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
Just finished watching The Shield and DAM! My mind is completely blown. One of the greatest things every made on screen.

Got to agree, my jaw was hanging wide open for every episode of the last series. I was expecting the actor who plays Vic to be in more stuff, because the intensity of his acting in the last few series was amazing, but all i've seen him in is them bloody Marvel movies. If he were a foot taller he'd make a damn good Letho.

Watching Game of Thrones over the holidays, second season really is a drop in quality, only Tywin stands out for me.

I finally bought the DVD for the FIRST Hobbit film to watch yesterday.

TIL:
1. Saskia's right. Dwarves can be really sexy.
2. It's amazing what difference a nose job and some eye shadow makes. I didn't recognise Richard Armitage, despite him being in my top five "Brits I Drool Over" list.
3. Even in 2012, it seems that makeup artists still have problems with that line on the forehead when they make someone bald (there were some really bad shadows in the opening scenes in Bilbo's house). And some of the forced perspectives didn't quite work either. Surprising, for a Peter Jackson movie - I don't expect to notice stuff like that on a first watching.

Oh, and yes, agree with the general view that it was a bit draggy. Still a good Christmas Movie though. I may go see the second one this week rather than wait for the DVD.

One thing I will give credit to those movies is the monster design. It's fucking amazing. That part where Gandalf faces off with the Balrog...that's a defining moment in movie history. And everything else, from the trolls to the wargs, they are expertly designed.

I was really, really impressed by the escape sequence from the Goblin Hall. The interaction there between the live actors and CGI was superb.

the second one has great cgi too, SMAUG IS FUCKING MAGNIFICENT!
Except for the part HE IS NOT A DRAGON AND JUST AN OVER GROWN WYVERN! :mad:

dragonbird said:
Oh, and yes, agree with the general view that it was a bit draggy. Still a good Christmas Movie though. I may go see the second one this week rather than wait for the DVD.
As someone who wasn't that impressed with the first Hobbit movie, I highly recommend seeing the second one in theaters. Smaug needs to be experienced on the big screen. He is so magnificent, from his dialogue to his CGI to his voice acting.

Finished watching Attack on Titan yesterday. I must admit, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The show has a great premise with the whole humanities struggle against the never ending threat of the titans. I really like how the anime portrays humanities desperation and how the characters each have their own personal agenda in how to fight / survive the titan threat. Especially grew to love in the later episodes when characters put forward the idea of loosing ones humanity is the only way to defeat the titans, people willing to go to almost any lengths to advance humanities ascension over the titans and whether or not that type of victory would be a victory at all.

The characters are very vivid and different from each other but the character development was quite poor, which is disappointing since the show spanned a five year gap. But that was in the very first episodes and I hope it will change as the show goes on. No character that I really enjoyed, maybe Erwin. Eren is sure is one I absolutely loathe, though I think that has to do with me being sick of the "hot-headed, aggressive and loud-mouthed" protagonist that seems to be in every frikkin manga / anime I've read / watched.

While I overly enjoyed the show, for the most part I found the show to be a bit overrated, and is mostly eye candy for "action anime fans" (not that is a bad thing, the animations are spectacular and entertaining). Still I think I will watch whenever the next season starts.

Dragon said:
As someone who wasn't that impressed with the first Hobbit movie, I highly recommend seeing the second one in theaters. Smaug needs to be experienced on the big screen. He is so magnificent, from his dialogue to his CGI to his voice acting.

Did anyone watch it in 3D at the cinema? If so, was it well done? I think I may have left this too late, the only screens still showing it seem to be the 3D ones, and I'm not really a fan.

dragonbird said:
Did anyone watch it in 3D at the cinema? If so, was it well done? I think I may have left this too late, the only screens still showing it seem to be the 3D ones, and I'm not really a fan.
Ask for the high frame rate showings. I am usually not a 3D fan either, but this was without a doubt the best 3D experience I have ever had. It may as well be live theater.

If you're still not convinced - my mother gets seriously sick from watching 3D movies. Even when sitting though a 1 hour movie, she has to take the 3D glasses off and take a break. She watched the entire 3 hours of the Hobbit 2 without any stress at all. It's that clear.

This is only the high frame rate though. No idea about regular 3D.

While I overly enjoyed the show, for the most part I found the show to be a bit overrated
Really? This was the only anime I was able to sit through in five years. I thought the setting, plot and characters were far above what other popular animes offer.

Uuh. I have absolutely no idea how to check if it's a high frame rate showing. Anyway, the one cinema still showing it is the Imax one, so I guess if any are high frame rate, it would be them. There's some film festival on at the moment and everywhere else seems to have switched to Filipino movies this week.

Top Bottom