Moving the "Saved Games" folder to another location

+
You can move most special Windows-specific folders located in your Users directory by right clicking and using the "Locations" tab. I usually do this for every folder since my boot drive is an older, smaller SSD. I really only want Windows on it and nothing else. I've got another, larger SSD where I install my games and a large HDD for non-speed critical things. I'd like to have the "Saved Games" folder on the HDD, but moving the folder means that the game simply cannot find it. Is there any way to edit the save game location through some config file? And if not, there damn well should be.

In the past on Windows 7 I would just modify some registry entries to move the entire Users folder to the HDD and then everything works fine because %users% still points to the right spot no matter where it is. But Windows 10 freaks out if you move the Users folder because Microsoft now wants to treat everyone in the same condescending way that Apple treats their users.

You can move most special Windows-specific folders located in your Users directory by right clicking and using the "Locations" tab. I usually do this for every folder since my boot drive is an older, smaller SSD. I really only want Windows on it and nothing else. I've got another, larger SSD where I install my games and a large HDD for non-speed critical things. I'd like to have the "Saved Games" folder on the HDD, but moving the folder means that the game simply cannot find it. Is there any way to edit the save game location through some config file? And if not, there damn well should be.

In the past on Windows 7 I would just modify some registry entries to move the entire Users folder to the HDD and then everything works fine because %users% still points to the right spot no matter where it is. But Windows 10 freaks out if you move the Users folder because Microsoft now wants to treat everyone in the same condescending way that Apple treats their users.

Yeah I just scoped all the readable files through NotePad++ and nothing had a directory or pathing for Saved Games. THat being said, this seems to be a hard coded save location.

most Windows based games have been saving to the "*:\Users\..." folders for the last decade now. even if you have a secondary partition that you have relocated certain User folders too, most applications are still keeping all of their user data there or in "*:\ProgramData\...".

if you think it is such a condescending insult to users; create your own OS that game developers will want to use with more customizable actions.

gpk

Forum regular
Just fired up the game since finishing it in 1.06 to test it and you can imagine my surprise when it wouldn't show any of my previous saves.
Cyberpunk is not respecting the changed location for the shell special folder "Saved Games" , or "My Games" or WhateverTheHellYouNamedItBecauseItIsASpecialFolder but instead looks or the hard coded path "%userprofile%\Saved Games"
This can be fixed by creating an NTFS junction but my calendar says it's 2021 and shouldn't need to be a thing, I'm sure many users will be confused.
shell:SavedGames , the SpecialFolder (paste it in explorer or run box) should be respected, there is a reason these folders exist and can be moved, and are accessed programmatically rather than hard-coded paths.

TIP: If you need to get around apps still looking for files in the default ~hard coded paths rather than properly programmatically resolving moved special folder locations, you can either use the command line or a GUI tool like Link Shell Extension (link) and create an NTFS file system junction.

Last edited:
NTFS junction

I considered making a junction, but in the past when I've moved system folders like the Users (or subfolders within) and left a junction behind I've had some things freak out over that, too. I'll give it a whirl.

Forum regular
Just fired up the game since finishing it in 1.06 to test it and you can imagine my surprise when it wouldn't show any of my previous saves.
Cyberpunk is not respecting the changed location for the shell special folder "Saved Games" , or "My Games" or WhateverTheHellYouNamedItBecauseItIsASpecialFolder but instead looks or the hard coded path "%userprofile%\Saved Games"
This can be fixed by creating an NTFS junction but my calendar says it's 2021 and shouldn't need to be a thing, I'm sure many users will be confused.
shell:SavedGames , the SpecialFolder (paste it in explorer or run box) should be respected, there is a reason these folders exist and can be moved, and are accessed programmatically rather than hard-coded paths.

TIP: If you need to get around apps still looking for files in the default ~hard coded paths rather than properly programmatically resolving moved special folder locations, you can either use the command line or a GUI tool like Link Shell Extension (link) and create an NTFS file system junction.
Why you just dont move whole userprofile folder? Copy it to different drive, change the path in registry and it should work

Top Bottom