moving the witcher 3 to another drive

+

G3nome

Forum veteran
moving the witcher 3 to another drive

i want to move the witcher 3 to a ssd so i can just copy and paste the folder or i need to resintall it ? btw gog version and no im not using gog galaxy

As with most software, you should reinstall. otherwise registry entries will be messed up, and it would take longer to fix that than just to do a fresh installation.

(You'll find it installs a lot faster on the SSD than it did on hard drive, by the way :) )

I have the Steam version and can confirm that copying the folder elsewhere works fine.

I have my Steam library on my HDD, where the game is installed and where Steam updates it and all that, then I copy that Witcher 3 folder to the root of SSD to play it. NO problems at all, and loads way faster.

Dragonbird is right that moving programs around like this rarely works without problems, but in this case it works fine. Steam even knows when I am playing the game even though it isnt in the Steam library folder anymore.

If you are moving it out of Program Files or Program Files(x86), you may run into trouble with UAC. Just associate the game with your UAC account again. That should be all it takes.

And I can also confirm installation and loading times on an SSD vs HDD is night and day for TW3.

Top Bottom