Mulligan & Thinning

+
Mulligan & Thinning

I have encountered a problem with mulliganing when I include too much thinning combinations in my deck. I am currently running Imperial Golem (pull with Cynthia), Joachim (pull with Rainfarn) and Golden Decree (I know it's shite, I am already saving up for something better), but the problem also exists when you substitute any of these for Roach or the Witcher trio.

When Mulliganing at the start of the game, there are 3 cards that you don't want to have in your hand. In my case: Imperial Golem, Joachim and a 3rd gold card. When you do not have those 3 cards in your hand at the start of the game, every mulligan is a risk. When you have those 3 cards in your hand, your mulligans are decided for you. Either way, you are locked out of your mulligans. How do people handle this? Do they still take the risk, even though you might end up with a card you ought to pull from your deck, rather than play from your hand?

Last edited:
I haven't played that a lot with NG but last season I played a NR trio deck: I had to make sure to not draw any of the three Light Cavalry and any of the three Blue Stripes Commandos And I had to avoid drawing more than one Temerian Infantryman. So together with Blue Stripes Scouts I had to manage four trios (which most of the time worked surprisingly fine for me). Of course bronze cards are easier to manage, because blacklisting applies to them. I also have played a while with a similar Witcher NR deck (Witcher instead of Light Cavalry) but that was a lot more unreliable, because blacklisting doesn't work the same way with silver trios.

With Bronze cards you really need to pay attention in what order you mulligan them. In case of the three Witchers (or Crones) - unless I intend to use them in round 1 - I like to mulligan them away in round 1. After all the likelihood of drawing them again in one of the next rounds is extremely high. NG is obviously more limited when it comes to redrawing cards. The longer you wait, the more risky things get. Obviously you shouldn't play Joachim while Roach and Golem are still in your deck (or two of your witchers). Roach on the other hand should be easy to manage. In case of Golem, you only have one to get rid of, so unless you don't draw that card in round three, it should be manageable as well. After all, NG has ways to make sure you get certain cards, so that's also an option.

Top Bottom