Multi-AMD GPU's.....no point i even playing ATM.

+
Multi-AMD GPU's.....no point i even playing ATM.

I would imagine, given all the in house testing and Q&A game like this must go through, that multi gpu setups not using more than one GPU would have been noticed before release. I've gone through the very begining, just past where Geralt saves the guy hiding under the cart. I've never played this series before and what really sold me on buying it, besides gettinng it for $37.00 in Kinguin was also the banter at how amazing the graphics were, "mind blowing" I saw more than once as well as IGN's 9.3 (amazing) review.
Heres my rig: AMD 9590 @ 4.9
AMD R9-295x2 + 290x (Tri-fire)
Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard
32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866
Samsung 840 pro 512gb SSD
EVGA 1600w 80+ platinum.
Right now in game MSI afterburner shows 1st GPU @ 1050mhz. Bottom two GPU's @ 300mhz. 4K @ ultra I'm at 12- 20 fps. unplayable.
Yes I could drop settings and I did to test first 20 minutes of the game...keeping 4K res but dropping to meduim gets me to 30 fps....barley tolorable.
Since, for all the banter about its graphics, Id have to say its only about on par with "mabey" Crysis 3.....Which I run @ 4k Ultra with 2x MSAA at 50-70 fps average....I'm just going to wait for a few patches and hopefully for some AMD optomiztion.
I want to play this as the devs saw it.......how many weeks do yall think it will be?

Last edited:
We're all new to this right now. The game does work in Crossfire. @Sardukhar is the mod who's running a Crossfire configuration; maybe he will have some useful advice.

well an update...so I innstalled the Catalyst Omega 14.12 driver instead of the beta and now crossfire works......but now there is flickering......on almost every object.....is even worse than the low frame rate without crossfire.

---------- Updated at 02:05 AM ----------

Trying installing the catalyst Omega driver from 12/9/14. thenn make sure you have the " Enable crossfire X for applications that have no associated profile" box.
Also make sure you drag the in game cursor all the way over to " full screen".
This worked for me but now there is unbearable flickering on every object that makes the game as unplayable as low fps.

Crossfire not working at first is pretty common on all but oldish games, and p.much any triple A title that isn't an AMD title. I hear a driver is coming out in a week, and I bet it'll have a crossfire profile. Hopefully it plays well! Witcher 3 runs pretty well on AMD, barring gameworks.

Errr, the game most certainly does NOT work with Crossfire.

Not so, if you have no reliable source for it, then please keep misinformation out of technical threads, and if you do have a reliable source, please cite it.

@TheOnlyDoor independently found the known solution: Catalyst Omega 14.12 driver. The game does not go into Crossfire with the beta driver. Now we just need to iron out the flickering problem.

Ah, something I can help with.

Okay, right now I'm running a 2500k OC to 4.2 with twin 290xs. I'm getting, currently, 30-40 fps with nearly everything on Ultra, with AA off, Hairworks off( does stupid things to Geralt's hair) and Motion blur off. Most everything else on. Mm..SSAO, iirc. Maybe HDAO? I swap back and forth. Not sure if it's really worth the 5 or so FPS it costs me.

Vysnc is ON. Seems to reduce stutter.

I run at 4K res.

It looks gorgeous.
Crossfire is active - check in MSI Afterburner.

So, yes, 30-40 FPS. Not kidding. I should really figure out how to pull SS, I suppose. I presume PrtScn does it's usual thing. Nooo..no it doesn't. Whatever. Later.

Will dip to 25 FPS in the rain sometimes.

May ALSO dip to 15-20 FPS after a restart. Yeah, I know. It's weird. However, in the last three hours of play and several restarts, been 30-40.

Also, that flickering you see -should- settle down after, oh, 10 seconds from log in, and 3 or four when it crops up in a new area. Which happens every....10 minutes of play? Maybe?

Anyway, this was not easy to do.

So, did not like the latest GTA V drivers. Tried the Omega 14.12 yesterday- worked well, did have one hard crash, forced reboot, another hard crash ati errors everywhere. Worked that out, played at 25-30 FPS for awhile. Then on reboot this afternoon, wouldn't hit 20.

So I went and tried this: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399099

Basically, you get the latest WIndows 10 AMD drivers working for you. Took two tries to get CCC up and running and make it run CF with games that have no profile, ( WHY is that a default setting, AMD?) but once I did, voila.

10 FPS gain on Ultra, to an average of 35 FPS. Flickering goes away after a few seconds.

It's up to you, but that's what has worked for me. And works well.

Edit:

UPDATE.

So, I logged back into the game recently and hey! Frames down to 19 again. Weeeird. And sure enough, although both cards were working, they weren't working very hard.

So, what I did was, disable Crossfire in my CCC setting. Crash the system hard. Annoying. Restart, disable CF again. This time, no crash. Re-enable CF, try the Witcher. Frames back to 35 again.

So it looooks like the game, at least with the Win10 drivers and quite likely the 14,12 drivers I liked before, tends to ease off the GPU use sporadically.

NO, neither of my GPUs was particularly hot - I'd just restarted after all.

So, try disable/reenable CF in your CCC, see if that helps.

Last edited:
I have 2 R9 290's in crossfire with 15.14, and crossfire does not work for me. I have not tried the previous driver so I can not comment on that, but it seems that the flickering only happens with crossfire enabled. Fortunately a single card has no problems running the game at the highest settings on 1080p with a decent framerate, but Eyefinity is too much for a single card.

I've seen it mentioned on Reddit that AMD would get us new drivers for TW3 this week, can't remember the source though. I hope that those fix the crossfire issues.

And I hereby also want to thank the developers for supporting Eyefinity!

I use R9 295x2 and can only see that AFR brings up a boost on fps but also have massive flickering with that. By the way i use the 15.4.1 beta driver.There will be a update beta driver for project cars in the next days, maybe that will help. I really hope it, because i also play on 4k and using only one gpu ist 24-28fps -.- with AFR i have 45-50fps but that flickering....

Ah, something I can help with.

Okay, right now I'm running a 2500k OC to 4.2 with twin 290xs. I'm getting, currently, 30-40 fps with nearly everything on Ultra, with AA off, Hairworks off( does stupid things to Geralt's hair) and Motion blur off. Most everything else on. Mm..SSAO, iirc. Maybe HDAO? I swap back and forth. Not sure if it's really worth the 5 or so FPS it costs me.

Vysnc is ON. Seems to reduce stutter.

I run at 4K res.

It looks gorgeous.
Crossfire is active - check in MSI Afterburner.

So, yes, 30-40 FPS. Not kidding. I should really figure out how to pull SS, I suppose. I presume PrtScn does it's usual thing. Nooo..no it doesn't. Whatever. Later.

Will dip to 25 FPS in the rain sometimes.

May ALSO dip to 15-20 FPS after a restart. Yeah, I know. It's weird. However, in the last three hours of play and several restarts, been 30-40.

Also, that flickering you see -should- settle down after, oh, 10 seconds from log in, and 3 or four when it crops up in a new area. Which happens every....10 minutes of play? Maybe?

Anyway, this was not easy to do.

So, did not like the latest GTA V drivers. Tried the Omega 14.12 yesterday- worked well, did have one hard crash, forced reboot, another hard crash ati errors everywhere. Worked that out, played at 25-30 FPS for awhile. Then on reboot this afternoon, wouldn't hit 20.

So I went and tried this: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399099

Basically, you get the latest WIndows 10 AMD drivers working for you. Took two tries to get CCC up and running and make it run CF with games that have no profile, ( WHY is that a default setting, AMD?) but once I did, voila.

10 FPS gain on Ultra, to an average of 35 FPS. Flickering goes away after a few seconds.

It's up to you, but that's what has worked for me. And works well.

Edit:

UPDATE.

So, I logged back into the game recently and hey! Frames down to 19 again. Weeeird. And sure enough, although both cards were working, they weren't working very hard.

So, what I did was, disable Crossfire in my CCC setting. Crash the system hard. Annoying. Restart, disable CF again. This time, no crash. Re-enable CF, try the Witcher. Frames back to 35 again.

So it looooks like the game, at least with the Win10 drivers and quite likely the 14,12 drivers I liked before, tends to ease off the GPU use sporadically.

NO, neither of my GPUs was particularly hot - I'd just restarted after all.

So, try disable/reenable CF in your CCC, see if that helps.

Just wondering if you feel the processor bottlenecks at all? I have a 2500k at 4.5Ghz as well and Im just looking to play in 1080p. To be honest, I don't really understand the need for a 2500k as the minimum. Its a few years old, but it was one of the best options for gaming back then and processors have not improved a huge amount since

Just wondering if you feel the processor bottlenecks at all? I have a 2500k at 4.5Ghz as well and Im just looking to play in 1080p. To be honest, I don't really understand the need for a 2500k as the minimum. Its a few years old, but it was one of the best options for gaming back then and processors have not improved a huge amount since

Nope. I don't. Seeing 40 FPS at 4K on Ultra. More if I shut down AA.

Without CF, I get 15-25, depending on graphics options set.

And to anyone reading this thread that -wants- CF, drop back to the 14.12 Omegas, make sure Use games without profile" is checked under Crossfire. If it doesn't work, fire your CCC back up, disable and re-enable CF try again.

ALSO REMEMBER to be in Fullscreen. My game loves to reset me to Borderless. CF only works in FS.

Nope. I don't. Seeing 40 FPS at 4K on Ultra. More if I shut down AA.

Without CF, I get 15-25, depending on graphics options set.

And to anyone reading this thread that -wants- CF, drop back to the 14.12 Omegas, make sure Use games without profile" is checked under Crossfire. If it doesn't work, fire your CCC back up, disable and re-enable CF try again.

ALSO REMEMBER to be in Fullscreen. My game loves to reset me to Borderless. CF only works in FS.

Not working for me, i try beta and the omega driver, i can only get in AFR CF working with flickering...
And its in Fullscreen any time. I look any time with riva tuner statistic and aida64 ingame.
with and without profile. I try anything ^^.

btw i use a 5820k@ 4,2Ghz, CPU and GPU on water ~38°
So i play it with 28-30 fps (single gpu activ + vsync), awesome game so far i love it, i extra play witcher 1+2 before last weeks
and both work with Crossfire ^^

im not sure how it is on a nvidia sli, but i think AMD musst push this forward on driver side.

Last edited:
AFR-friendly did the trick for me. I was only trying to run the game in 1080p with an R9 295x2 and din't get more than 45 fps in White Orchard... that's when I realized something was off and activated the AFR-profile. That way I didn't even have to downgrade my driver because I'd sitll like to play GTA V and without the Beta it won't even deliver 20 fps. It's still stuttering but thats OT.

Anyhow, does anyone have more information regarding new drivers? I read somewhere it'll take a week but is there an official statement somewhere?

it was posted on twitter from a amd guy next days a new beta driver arrive, but for Project cars.
gtaV with CF works great for me, 4k v-sync 55-60fps 2xAA.

1080p with a 295x2 is not really an option. I was switching from titan sli to amd because price and 4k, but the driver support can be better. Also when i have a eye on the 390.

Last edited:
Top Bottom