Multi-Core CPU Support?

+
Multi-Core CPU Support?

Hi all,This question may have been asked before, though I'm not sure. I just recently upgraded from a from an Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz single-core CPU to a multi-core processor, increased my RAM by another 2 GB and upgraded to Windows Vista 64-bit. I'm wondering; does anyone know if the code for this game was written/optimized to exploit the inherent advantages of multi-core processors?I know that some games are coming out nowadays to take advantage of processors with more than one execution core, and I'm curious as to whether or not this is one of them.I just did this upgrade earlier in the week, but I haven't had the chance to re-install The Witcher, so I haven't been able to check this for myself just yet.I'm hoping for an overall performance boost from these upgrades, but I'm not sure if I'll see one. For the record, system specs:pSU: OCZ GameXtreme 700WMotherboard: XFX nForce 680i LT SLIProcessor: Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHzMemory: 4 GB OCZ Gold PC5400 DDR2 667 MHzVideo: MSI GeForce 7950GX2 dual-GPU 1 GB (512 MB per GPU x 2)Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS w/ Logitech 5.1 surround speakersIf not, I would love to see this sort of support in future patches, maybe...Thanks to all in advance for any input!

OMG, I am so jealous! :pThat sounds like a tasty arse rig!!There is a thread or two around here I'm not sure where, might do a search. I got mine running a dual-core fairly well but I'm AMD.

Mobidoy said:
This need to be in the in-game tech board... Look at the faq there for your answer :)
My mistake...Wait...Did I create the thread here, or did you move it? If I created this thread elsewhere, sorry about that. I'll check out the FAQs, thanks.

tracido said:
OMG, I am so jealous! :pThat sounds like a tasty arse rig!!There is a thread or two around here I'm not sure where, might do a search. I got mine running a dual-core fairly well but I'm AMD.
Heh, yeah, she's a beast, but it's been slow-going. I built the rig about 2 years ago, just did the mobo/CPU upgrade this past week, as well as the additional RAM. This machine has shaped up quite nicely though... ;)I'll do some more searching around/research, sorry to all if this has been a redundant thread...

Yeah, I am thinking about another one soon, just in debt from college still. :'( http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=6282.0 That's and http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2571.0 thread that helped me out.

tracido said:
Yeah, I am thinking about another one soon, just in debt from college still. :'( http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=6282.0 That's and http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2571.0 thread that helped me out.
Hmm, interesting reads, thanks! I guess technically, it's not coded for multi-core chips. Oh well, just thought I'd ask. We'll see if I get any better performance out of it once I get it installed.On a side note, back to the machine, now all I need to do is get me one (or two) of them there 8800GTX cards... :p

You can send me files that will let me see your system and, i will let you know what can be done ! Create a Dxdiag log and a report save as HTML using this tool System Information for WindowsExplain your problem and put your nickPut all that in an email and send it to the adress in my signature !

From what I've observed, it really does not seem to be using multi-core at all.I have a Q6600 2.4GHz quad and looking at CPU usage during the game, I see core #1 between 90-100% while cores 2~4 are all at 0-1% usage.Every now and then I would experience some lag, even in chp. II, but I suspect this is due to a sound card problem. Otherwise it runs smoothly. From a graphics perspective I have 2x GeForce 8800GTS 512MB (G92) in SLI thus these should never be the hold up.I plan to OC the CPU to see if that improves anything.

MrDasher said:
I plan to OC the CPU to see if that improves anything.
Meh, I'm very hesitant to OC because I just don't know enough about it. I've never really done it before, and I don't want to run the risk of cooking this CPU. I love the overall performance I get out of this thing way too much!I'm about to install The Witcher again, and we'll see what happens. I'll let you all know if I have any problems. Thanks all for your input!

Mobidoy said:
You can send me files that will let me see your system and, i will let you know what can be done ! Create a Dxdiag log and a report save as HTML using this tool System Information for WindowsExplain your problem and put your nickPut all that in an email and send it to the adress in my signature !
Well, at this moment, I don't have it installed, though I'm going to do so as soon as I get this message posted, so I haven't exactly run into any problems just yet, though I'm keeping my fingers crossed... ;)If I run into any issues, you are the first person that will be hearing from me... :pI have downloaded your HTML utility there, but hopefully everything goes smoothly. We shall see...

The game won't run aswell as you will expect. For starters the game doesn't use more than one cpu core (as we know) and it also won't use SLi so only one of those PCB's on your 7950GX2 will be working. That's a single 7900GT type performance. (they are not 2 7900GTX's)

shammyshamrock said:
The game won't run aswell as you will expect. For starters the game doesn't use more than one cpu core (as we know) and it also won't use SLi so only one of those PCB's on your 7950GX2 will be working. That's a single 7900GT type performance. (they are not 2 7900GTX's)
Funny, the recommended Nvidia setting for this game in my card's control panel is "multi-GPU"...At any rate, I've got it installed and everything is working quite smoothly, actually better than the performance I got with my old Asus P5ND2 mobo and single-core Pentium 4.The only problem that I'm having (once in a while) is that text "flickers"; in other words, if I open up my savegames menu from the main title screen, the listing of my manual saves and autosaves have a flickering effect. This also happens to me in-game occasionally when I open up my inventory or quest journal. But it's not just in those screens that it's happening, I just used those for examples; when this bug occurs, it happens any time there is text on the screen. When I see this, I usually just save my game and shut it down, then re-launch the application. That seems to clear up that issue...Incidentally, this is an issue that I have experienced on both XP and Vista, though the "flicker" was different; the XP flicker was a very consistent and constant fast-paced flicker, whereas with Vista, it almost seems a bit more "lazy" (for lack of a better descriptor) and not such a fast-paced hectic flickering like it was with XP.

bklipple said:
"lazy" (for lack of a better descriptor) and not such a fast-paced hectic flickering like it was with XP.
This is why many silently work on better builds of linux that come as XP-type, Vista, nuff said.

shammyshamrock said:
It'll peg 2 cores if affinity is properly set and it will use two cards under NAFR with the proper flags checked.

Yeah, I've got a Quad core QX9650 and a 780i with tri-SLI (8800 Ultra's). I tried disabling SLI, and then in a separate test I disabled 3 of my CPU cores in my BIOS, and the game ran VERY noticably slower for each test. So even if the game won't use multiple CPU cores, having them there will free up resources for Windows, making the whole system run faster. It also does use SLI if you have it enabled....

@Bferris Yep, I think this more applies to quad core though, as it is newer tech for one and second the game wasn't even built specifically for multi-threading in general.On my dual core I am glad to have it let the 2nd CPU deal with most windows junk, and it still uses a nice bit now and then in game, it just requires careful pre-stability.

Top Bottom