Multiplayer Idea(s)

+
As I said on the YouTube post, It would make a lot of sense given the predisposition of Cyberpunk characters and contacts to meet in such social hubs as bars and the like.

Multiplayer Idea(s)

If this is already a thread somewhere, stab me in the left testicle with a flaming rusty iron stake. But I'll be damned if I didn't have the sweetest idea today.

Perhaps... Multiplayer could resemble the way 2020 was played. There's a job, some number of players can "interview" for it (or not) You all know the score.

BUT! What if a real player was the GM? So the Corp (or whoever) gets to pick who he's going to have do his dirty work. And WHAT his dirty work is. Like player created scenarios, something along the lines of DooM's snapmap having an illegitimate love child with GTA5's heists, except not shit, and there's a point to it. The "workers" get a happy buck in their pockets, The Corp gets LOTS of happy bucks in his pocket. The more difficult he makes the scenario, the higher the payout for himself (and team,) but with higher risks if they screw it. This would force them to actually care about who they hire, and the hirelings would be forced to not dick around if they don't want to wind up worse than they were.

Any thoughts? I could go on

I don't get it :D
Bassically you suggest that player creates quest, "pushes" into gameworld for others to be able to play it ?

So the difference againts stanard rpgs, where developer cooks quest into unmodifiable game and then distributes and sells it;
is that players could create quests at runtine of game, share it with others, and modify quest events at runtime depending on players actions ?
Something like D&D on computer ?

If that's so, wouldn't be modding enough, as it would be less demanding to create, easier to manage, easier to cook and everything - with no unexpected actions ?

But still, count me in :)

Problem is, as far as we know, CDPR has no intention of creating a "Development Tool Kit" for CP2077 so it would be near impossible for players to create quests.

The other issue, of course, is 90% of player designed quests are junk (on a good day).

Last edited:
You know what else would be pretty cool? If players could be able to create factions with their friends in multiplayer. Let players customize their own gangs so they can feel part of something.

2 words: open world

CP2077 should perhaps have a focus on open world exploration and activities because that's pretty much what you can do with other players, which all translates to lots and lots of random encounters, making the city a pure chaos to explore with someone and various modes like GTA V, which means; races, deathmatches, pvp, pve, etc. Maybe there might have a way to play the main quest with friends, but does the multiplayer audience enjoys that? GTA V is a great example.

BjornTheBandit;n9730981 said:
If this is already a thread somewhere, stab me in the left testicle with a flaming rusty iron stake. But I'll be damned if I didn't have the sweetest idea today.

Perhaps... Multiplayer could resemble the way 2020 was played. There's a job, some number of players can "interview" for it (or not) You all know the score.

BUT! What if a real player was the GM? So the Corp (or whoever) gets to pick who he's going to have do his dirty work. And WHAT his dirty work is. Like player created scenarios, something along the lines of DooM's snapmap having an illegitimate love child with GTA5's heists, except not shit, and there's a point to it. The "workers" get a happy buck in their pockets, The Corp gets LOTS of happy bucks in his pocket. The more difficult he makes the scenario, the higher the payout for himself (and team,) but with higher risks if they screw it. This would force them to actually care about who they hire, and the hirelings would be forced to not dick around if they don't want to wind up worse than they were.

Any thoughts? I could go on

So you are setting yourself up as some sort of boss. While player designed content won't be possible initially, it would be an interesting option for certain character types to have the ability for other players to complete in game missions or objectives for them. This could lead to interesting gameplay as the 'boss' would have to trust that the players would complete the objective and return with it. Betrayal and obfuscation are very cyberpunk.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9733851 said:
You know what else would be pretty cool? If players could be able to create factions with their friends in multiplayer. Let players customize their own gangs so they can feel part of something.

Clans don't arrive until 3049.

It could work if we had some kind of in game world editor, like in Fallout 4 settlement mode. Something that would be done outside , perhaps netrunning?
So you could "create" something like high security compound, entry points, assign cameras, security, patrol routes, place items, etc...the full deal. Then the creator would write it's own mini narrative, about the place, objectives, etc. Sort of like Satellite Reign missions.
But let's not kind ourselves...this would require lot of investment and massive turn around in CDPR's "design philosophy".

The net is definitely where I think multiplayer can be best applied. Social Hubs online, maybe be able to work with others to solve puzzles leading to cool items ... each person having part of the puzzle activate in their game. Then once they figure it out, each person can go back into their "real world" and recover the item. Other puzzles unlock information that leads to otherwise unobtainable dialogue or quest resolutions. That sort of thing. You could have a social community that works much like communities on the real net. Maybe also some standard PvP or Co-Op arena's for those who are into those sort of things. I would not expect it to be raids and co-op in C2077 "real world." I think that part of the game will be at it's core single player. I could be wrong (it happens a lot) but that would make the most sense given CDPR's prior games and the setting this game is in.

RLKing1969;n9730921 said:
As I said on the YouTube post, It would make a lot of sense given the predisposition of Cyberpunk characters and contacts to meet in such social hubs as bars and the like.

It'll be amazing :)

4meg;n9734191 said:
Netrunners will want a secret BBS to hang out in.

Imagine you could create some kind of DarkNet inside the game. Didn't think of that, but it'd be awesome!

HEISTS!

Objectives:
I. Infiltrate Wallace Corp
II. Download necessary files
III. Get out!

Team:
I. Solo Needed for wetwork
II. Netrunner Needed to take down security
III. Rockerboy(girl) needed to seduce guard to get access card.
IV. Extra pair of guns

Mission:

I. Rockerboy(girl) locates guard at local bar/club. Seduces subject roams his apartment for access card. Finds it eliminates guard.
II. Solo and Extra locates Wallace truck, take out guards, take possession of truck.
III. Netrunner works on taking down security counter measures.
IV. Gear Up for party time.
V. Start Infiltration.
VI. Get Files.
VII. Get Out.
VIII. Get Paid.
IX. Get Laid.

MadqueenShow;n9735221 said:
Imagine you could create some kind of DarkNet inside the game.
4meg;n9734191 said:
Netrunners will want a secret BBS to hang out in.

The Net in Cyberpunk isn't like that. The Net that Mike made is like the "Matrix" but in a wireframe mode with a hint of Reboot, no forums or the likes here. It's basically a giant open space of virtual reality governed by a special algorithm. There are "bad areas" in this net as well and certain people like to lead NetWatch out to these parts and dry gulch 'em.

And one way to describe a part of the net is a this excerpt from the Core book on page 130.

"Pacifica...Floating islands of light, capped with neon green fractal palm trees. The whole thing floats above a bright glittering ocean, like something out of a tropic dream. They've got the virtual water construct set up so that you can see all the way down to a limitless seabottom, where glowing colory fishshapes dive between shifting mirage coral, pursued by dolphin programs, part ai and part illusion." - Rache Bartmoss, Net Traverller's Guide, 2019.

Also watch out for Rache Bartmoss, there's at least a dozen runners that NetWatch would love to brain-fry and Rache is at least 2 of them...cause I'm sure he's still in the net somewhere even after someone dropped a moonrock on him.

walkingdarkly;n9736001 said:
The Net in Cyberpunk isn't like that. The Net that Mike made is like the "Matrix" but in a wireframe mode with a hint of Reboot, no forums or the likes here.

Actually it was a joke, but on the other hand, technology is the thing that is going to change the most, so I wouldn't dare venture to use CP2020 to describe it. The idea people had back then of what the Internet was going to be was very far from what it actually became, so I wouldn't be suprised if it's something that is changed in the game.

Besides, in a Matrix-like internet you can still have forums, they would only have other format, but the essence would be the same: leave open messages to other users.

walkingdarkly;n9736001 said:
The Net in Cyberpunk isn't like that. The Net that Mike made is like the "Matrix" but in a wireframe mode with a hint of Reboot, no forums or the likes here. It's basically a giant open space of virtual reality governed by a special algorithm. There are "bad areas" in this net as well and certain people like to lead NetWatch out to these parts and dry gulch 'em.

And one way to describe a part of the net is a this excerpt from the Core book on page 130.

Also watch out for Rache Bartmoss, there's at least a dozen runners that NetWatch would love to brain-fry and Rache is at least 2 of them...cause I'm sure he's still in the net somewhere even after someone dropped a moonrock on him.

Unfortunately, according to some pnp mythology, Rache is dead. Even if he were still a frozen slab of "chipped beef" in a freezer, I would imagine that it is possible that someone could have "pulled the plug" on him by 2077. Still, knowing Rache, he probably made copies of himself (All good hackers do...Make copies, that is.) and may have become an AI....If so, Mog help us all.

Guest 4149880

Lisbeth_Salander;n9733851 said:

2 words: open world

CP2077 should perhaps have a focus on open world exploration and activities because that's pretty much what you can do with other players, which all translates to lots and lots of random encounters, making the city a pure chaos to explore with someone and various modes like GTA V, which means; races, deathmatches, pvp, pve, etc. Maybe there might have a way to play the main quest with friends, but does the multiplayer audience enjoys that? GTA V is a great example.

Player created factions and the ability for other players to join, especially in a large amount, would create a huge divide in the player base. The factions of large social media groups would take over from day one, leaving the rest of ya scrubs to fend for yourself out there. And in the case of PvP, you're always going to be against the big name groups like they own the leaderboards and online space, unless of course you join. I just think that would be real bad idea.

I think if they go with factions, it should be from the single player plot and any objectives can be carried out by your group in co op if you so choose to bring them and there could be some PvP opposition along the way.

And on the topic of Gta, its ok, for a care free open world game but its obviously not going to carry the weight that Cyberpunk would. I personally hated GtaOnline for its shallow repetitive content. I guess on paper it sounds like all those features would make for quite some entertainment but only if all you ever do it cause havoc, chaos, and trouble with a trigger happy finger and no brain required. It lacks any meaningful depth but then again, its a game about committing crime so I'm not too surprised by the lack of content it features.

Last edited by a moderator:
BeastModeIron;n9736951 said:
The factions of large social media groups would take over from day one, leaving the rest of ya scrubs to fend for yourself out there. And in the case of PvP, you're always going to be against the big name groups like they own the leaderboards and online space, unless of course you join. I just think that would be real bad idea.

You found a little problem related to multiplayer factions and stated that it is all impossible to be made because of it. Guess what, Call of Duty allows factions in multiplayer and it's been working for years.

The problem with controversial factions is mainly due to players being able to freely create their factions. Give players the option to 100% customize their faction's emblem and we'll get nazi symbols on day one, but if the set of customization is limited then there's no problem. Limited customization is the key to avoid that "little" problem.

BeastModeIron;n9736951 said:
Player created factions and the ability for other players to join, especially in a large amount, would create a huge divide in the player base.

There's plenty of games out there with faction/team systems in multiplayer, and none of them had this problem because they did it well.

Top Bottom