Multiplayer is in the works, how can we help?

+
I don't play multiplayer games because most are disappointing and uninteresting. I am, very much so, looking forward to the Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer and hoping we can weigh in enough so that it does not turn out to be "like the others" while there is still some time to offer concerns, hopes, and dreams.

Anyone out there have a bit of experience with MPs and want to offer some insight?

I'm hoping this thread can serve as an outlet for the team working on the multiplayer so they can get an idea of what the community wants to experience and doesn't want to experience.

If anything, I hope it's not solely a PvP matter. I wouldn't mind it as much if it were team based PvE for larger scale operations. Even something like GTAO for missions but leaving the rest of the world open to PvE.

I'm hoping they stick true to them mentioning this is not a launch priority. I'd hate to see the game delayed for a game mode I don't care much for

What do we know about the MP they are talking about?

Frankly I don't want gta mp... I would rather have some form of coop MP where I can do things with my wife and son in cyberpunk 2077 a la grim dawn. Not really interested in a server run MP thing where you NEED to use official servers and the like, that paths leads to the dark side nearly 100%.

Also is the MP a different game or a tacked on mode?

I am all hyped up about this game as it's suppose to be a single player game a la witcher...if it turns out to be a cyberpunk 2077a la rockstar gta ..well.... :/

Good idea, depending on how long the mode has already been in development.

I guess I can list a few things I'd like/not like.

Want:
  • A cooperative experience of some kind: Create a squad of edgerunners with up to 3 other friends, and take on a shorter story-driven coop campaign.
  • Side quests for players to enjoy.
  • Bars could act as a seamless way to hop into the multiplayer if you don't already have a group of friends. When you enter, one of two things could happen:
  • First, you could see other players and invite them to your squad.
  • Second, you see a "mission board" that you can interact with and post a squad listing there. People can apply to join, and you can specify (hard or soft requirement) what role you want other people to fill, and what sort of personalities you're looking for (shoot first, ask questions later, business-like, etc.) If you accept anyone, they appear in the bar with you, where you can play stuff like pool, cards, or get a drink while you wait for others.
  • STRAIGHTFORWARD Cosmetic microtransactions, if you must (not so much a "want" as a "I'd prefer this over the alternative"). You see it, you buy it, if you want. No RNG, no "buy the premium currency first" nonsense.
  • Regular content updates adding new missions, areas, etc. -- these should be brought over to the singleplayer game as "free-LC" where appropriate. In GTA V, you can do stuff like smoke, drink, eat (with animations) from your inventory in multiplayer, but singleplayer never got any of those features. SP also didn't get any of the new vehicles, weapons, or items MP did. Don't make that mistake.
  • Content is designed for at least 2 players, but can be played solo.
  • Takes place in Night City, re-uses assets and voice actors where appropriate.
  • Social activities to participate in outside of quests, such as minigames, pub crawls, etc.
  • Content has the same open-ended design philosophy of the base game. Paths for netrunner types, techie types, and solo types.
Don't Want:
  • PvP.
  • A GTA Online-esque mode. Coop only, please -- I think it would be far easier to balance and create good, story-driven content for a small group of players who persistently progress over time than a massive group of 30+ people in a shared world
  • NO LOOT BOXES. Period. Cosmetic or otherwise.
  • MP of any kind to come at the cost of future singleplayer DLC. If you can't make both in tandem with different teams, please don't bother with MP at all.
  • Paid coop expansions that don't add anything to the core game. Go the Sims route, and add some free stuff (like the free-LC mentioned above) to the base game with every new expansion.
Not much. Still in R+D. May never see the light of day.

All the more reason to give our ideas now, before anything is set in stone.

Last edited:
A co-op in the vein of Divinity: Original Sin games is all I can think of without knowing anything.

I’ve not played much online mp at all. A bit of Battlefield 2 and 3 back in those days. But that’s it.

I really want CDPR to think outside the already done boxes.

More than anything I want to just have the ability to meet people. Seems simple, right?

Well...I have grown fully disappointed with social media and by no means do I want 2077MP to be like a social media experience, but I want to see some kind of focus on the idea of looking for people throughout Night City (and beyond) to be on a team for certain objectives. (Whether it be finding a love interest or "mission-minded" friends)

Maybe we should have to sift through the numerous players that will be in NC to find our own well made teams. Maybe to do that we would have to play along with the story or just explore the open MP world. In almost every cyberpunk genre anything there is a build-up where the main characters have to find other like-minded people to help with the cause...whatever that may be. There is always someone to help who has skills for "the big job".

A small team is not good enough. A big team has too much liability. A well diverse team of people who are good at what they do is just right. You have to find them and they are also looking for you, but it is a slow story driven search instead of instant pairing.

If a team building focus could be set up that has you searching for the right people it may lead to the impossible tasks, like mucking up some corpo properties, actually becoming possible. Maybe even you and your team could make up their own goals and missions. I have never liked the idea of being forced to be on teams with absolute strangers...unless that is what you are looking for. It would be nice to use the upcoming April release as a skill and character build that can carry over into the MP. So that the veterans of 2077 have a lot to offer for the MP missions. This would incentivize players to make their characters as badass as they can. The style of your character will be important for the first game, but it will tie everything together for the MP because you will finally be among peers, or people who are as badass or even more badass than you.

Most of the time in other MPs there is an instant connection to other people only because they are online at the same time, but 2077MP can offer the possibility to make your own story by a drawn out game-play to find people for seemingly impossible tasks. This could reach into the idea of building intimate relationships, just hanging out, or finding crucial skills for "jobs" in other people. You may find these people at your local hangout spot, by fate, or you could be set up by fixers. All the while your able to explore the city in whatever way you want. That is, you may not take an important job until you are ready and in the meantime you could just be hanging out at strip clubs or building stats.

I really want to see an emphasis on a healthy balance of being able to do whatever you want and finding cool people to hang out with. If CDPR can offer an amazing MP game-play that also gives people the ability to meet and make friends in the real world based on strong connections then it will be an amazing move that could be something that has never been done before.

I like the idea of 2077MP taking notes from VR Chat and/or Second Life for a social experience that can bring together people from all over the world based on style and personality under the Cyberpunk IP. The actual MP may not be like anything above, but CDPR has a lot to work on if they are going to stand out from what has already been done. They can do it, but to give people more than just "in game reasons to fight your enemies" and be together is something that will be different. They are sitting on the ability to offer an alternative to stagnant social media outlets while building up the Cyberpunk IP into something greater than what it already is.

Syware

Forum regular
I heard that they looking at Red Dead 2 for inspirations for their game. So, I guess, coop play, mini-games, probably something similar to stranger missions, main storyline similar to red dead 2 online, PVP and PvE bounty hunting, etc.

I heard that they looking at Red Dead 2 for inspirations for their game. So, I guess, coop play, mini-games, probably something similar to stranger missions, main storyline similar to red dead 2 online, PVP and PvE bounty hunting, etc.

Bounty hunting would be interesting....

annnnd what if you were the bounty?:oops:

Personally I have little interest in multi-player.

Co-op for missions tends to be messy. If player one hasn't done a prerequisite mission do they still get credit? Are any loot drops duplicated or do players have to fight over it? Does doing this mission break some sequence of events, thus the game for a player?

GTA style co-op is fairly pointless. Geeee, I get to run around and do useless, pointless, stuff just because I can! Sure, might be nice for all us "regulars" here in the forums to get together over a virtual beer in Night City. Then what? Is it worth all the time, effort, money to create multi-player just for that?

PvP in a what's primarily a single-player "RPG"? To what end? So someone can brag how L337 they are for being the last man standing?

Last edited:
Personally I have little interest in multi-player.

Co-op for missions tends to be messy. If player one hasn't done a prerequisite mission do they still get credit? Are any loot drops duplicated or do player have to fight over it? Does doing this mission break some sequence of events, thus the game for a player?

GTA style co-op is fairly pointless. Geeee, I get to run around and do useless, pointless, stuff just because I can! Sure, might be nice for all us "regulars" here in the forums to get together over a virtual beer in Night City. Then what? Is it worth all the time, effort, money to create multi-player just for that?

PvP in a what's primarily a single-player "RPG"? To what end? So someone can brag how L337 they are for being the last man standing?

These are the reasons I want the MP to be something new. I also have very little interest in any MP, but I reallyreally want 2077MP to change my mind.

Sure, might be nice for all us "regulars" here in the forums to get together over a virtual beer in Night City.

That actually sounds pretty fun.

These are the reasons I want the MP to be something new. I also have very little interest in any MP, but I reallyreally want 2077MP to change my mind.

Yeah, we've discussed this a few times; you and I. I like your ideas and would love to see them happen. CDPR has the budget (especially after 2077 comes out) and talent to make something really unique with MP, and not just be another trend follower. We will have to wait and see what they do, but in the meantime, we can give them our input.

I hear it's an apartment sim, where each player builds his own little apartment, decorates it, and then invites other players to check it out.

All decorations (furniture, accessories, etc) are microtransaction based, without an ability to earn them otherwise.

I hear it's an apartment sim, where each player builds his own little apartment, decorates it, and then invites other players to check it out.

All decorations (furniture, accessories, etc) are microtransaction based, without an ability to earn them otherwise.

All decorations come from the vending machine....

Urban Battleroyal havent been done before, right. I wouldnt mind if it was similiar to Playerunknown's Battleground. I think the kicker is that, more pople die, more the map shrinks.

I don't care what form multiplayer takes, just please keep it completely separate from singleplayer so when the inevitable tsunami of requests to nerf certain weapons and cyberware happens, it doesn't screw singleplayer as well.
You forgot skills.

In a PvP multi-player game the only viable role will (probably) be Solo, (the roles, Netrunner, Techie, and Solo are not made for nor balanced for PvP) so expect everyone to have pretty much the exact same skills and gear.

Last edited:
You forgot skills.

In a PvP multi-player game the only viable role will be (probably be) Solo (he roles, Netrunner, Techie, and Solo are not made for nor balanced for PvP) so expect everyone to have pretty much the exact same skills and gear.
Would depend on how PvP is implemented, I suppose.

If it's asymmetric, you could have it be team v. team, but each person has a role to fill. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory did a cool Spies vs. Mercs mode, actually, which was very unlike what you'd normally see in a pvp mode.

Top Bottom