Must-have Golds for ST?

+
Must-have Golds for ST?

What would you say are must have Golds? I know they depend on your archetype but what would a "neutral" ST Gold be? Something that works on most decks?

Zoltan, hands down. Great card, even outside a movement deck.
I would also recommend Aglais. Even if you don't care about spells at all, the majority of the people do play at least 1 or 2 spells. Even if you grab a humble bronze spell, it can prove game changing.
Last but not least, Saskia.

Last edited:
For me, most of my deck must have gold weather( preferable Ragh Nar Roog ) and Igni.

Zoltan also very gold since he can move unit and swing power, depend on your deck he can be very powerful.

And Ithlinne( for double thunder ) also good even for non spellathael

For an elf focused DC deck, you have to have Saethensisis, Vill and Iorveth. I still use Schirru too.

My deck has matured very well with the new updates, there now a true dragon cult that uses every dragon in the game including Wyverns thanks to Mr Dorregary. Pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9610081 said:
For an elf focused DC deck, you have to have Saethensisis, Vill and Iorveth. I still use Schirru too.

My deck has matured very well with the new updates, there now a true dragon cult that uses every dragon in the game including Wyverns thanks to Mr Dorregary. Pretty cool.

Fully agree with Sasen and Shiruu, They're massively overlooked and are definitely among the strongest Scoia'tael gold right now. Iorveth in the other hand. I love the card, I truly do and in theory, he should be awesome since he's back to what he used to be in the closed BETA when he was a must have card but truth is, the fact that pretty much everything can damage gold units now change a lot of things and he kinda feels like a "worst Eskel" in comparison.
Don't get me wrong, he's still good but he's not the massive demolisher he used to be in the past.

Also I assume Vill is Borkh and if so, I really don't like him anymore since, just like any gold card that have a delayed effect, he can just be killed or worst locked (I say worst because it's far easier to do and requires just one card in any deck really) he's just a 8 str unit with no ability that takes a gold slot. And not only that but you also have to keep an eye on the board, making sure you're not controlling the strongest unit on the board. At this point he could destroy the strongest enemy unit he wouldn't even be OP.

I do respect you playing him though, I believe it's great that some players keep playing those "high risk high reward" cards and I also do it myself (I have decks with Priscilla, Yen con and Triss butt) but not with Borkh, he just didn't give me satisfaction in my last try.

Last edited:
SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9610081 said:

What is DC?

Snake_Foxhounder;n9589051 said:
What would you say are must have Golds? I know they depend on your archetype but what would a "neutral" ST Gold be? Something that works on most decks?

Eskel is a must have gold card, to fight heavy armored NR or Skellige. It has more value than Iorveth, I don't know why people still use Iorveth when Eskel can do more. because 7 damage is low nowdays, you know from arachas behemoth 6+2 armor, Trololo 11+4 armor, pirates with 10+ STR.

Anen;n9622661 said:
Eskel is a must have gold card, to fight heavy armored NR or Skellige. It has more value than Iorveth, I don't know why people still use Iorveth when Eskel can do more. because 7 damage is low nowdays, you know from arachas behemoth 6+2 armor, Trololo 11+4 armor, pirates with 10+ STR.

Eskel never works for me, I never encounter powerful unit without boast.

Aglais destroyed me last yesterday, got my monster nest into a ghoul in last round.
its more powerful than caretaker which is only 4points.
:mean:

Pruny;n9624041 said:
Aglais destroyed me last yesterday, got my monster nest into a ghoul in last round.
its more powerful than caretaker which is only 4points.
:mean:

Except that everyone runs units while not everyone runs spells.

Ildun;n9624011 said:
Eskel never works for me, I never encounter powerful unit without boast.

eskel still stronger than iorveth, iorveth just can do 7 damage but eskel can do 7 or more

Anen;n9634841 said:
eskel still stronger than iorveth, iorveth just can do 7 damage but eskel can do 7 or more

Maybe, but Eskel doesn't have the Elf tag, which can be quite useful if you decide to boost all the Elves on your side with a Vrihedd Vanguard. Depends on your strategy, I guess.

SC does not really have top golds. For me, the most powerful are Ithline and Aglais, but in my deck I run Saskia and Saesen. Isemgrim might be good when they release new ambush cards

GenLiu;n9612391 said:
Fully agree with Sasen and Shiruu, They're massively overlooked and are definitely among the strongest Scoia'tael gold right now. Iorveth in the other hand. I love the card, I truly do and in theory, he should be awesome since he's back to what he used to be in the closed BETA when he was a must have card but truth is, the fact that pretty much everything can damage gold units now change a lot of things and he kinda feels like a "worst Eskel" in comparison.
Don't get me wrong, he's still good but he's not the massive demolisher he used to be in the past.

Also I assume Vill is Borkh and if so, I really don't like him anymore since, just like any gold card that have a delayed effect, he can just be killed or worst locked (I say worst because it's far easier to do and requires just one card in any deck really) he's just a 8 str unit with no ability that takes a gold slot. And not only that but you also have to keep an eye on the board, making sure you're not controlling the strongest unit on the board. At this point he could destroy the strongest enemy unit he wouldn't even be OP.

I do respect you playing him though, I believe it's great that some players keep playing those "high risk high reward" cards and I also do it myself (I have decks with Priscilla, Yen con and Triss butt) but not with Borkh, he just didn't give me satisfaction in my last try.

I use Iorveth because he's an elf and he can really spearhead a major advantage if he's the fifth elf played and summons Aeliren, but i agree he is nothing compared to his previous incarnation.

Vill has always been the big daddy of my deck and he still is although not knowhere near as effective as he used to be.

I have experience using him so i know when and when not to play him and it's always the third last card of the last round (fingers crossed they have used all their locks by then) his armour is the only thing that makes him playable right now.

For the record i'm still hitting major scorches with the old tired dragon, i think most people are totally suprised when i play him.

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9650931 said:
I use Iorveth because he's an elf and he can really spearhead a major advantage if he's the fifth elf played and summons Aeliren, but i agree he is nothing compared to his previous incarnation.

Vill has always been the big daddy of my deck and he still is although not knowhere near as effective as he used to be.

I have experience using him so i know when and when not to play him and it's always the third last card of the last round (fingers crossed they have used all their locks by then) his armour is the only thing that makes him playable right now.

For the record i'm still hitting major scorches with the old tired dragon, i think most people are totally suprised when i play him.

I think so too but that's actually a great thing and this is very clever to use the surprise factor at your advantage.
I also agree when you say that Iorveth can be better than Eskel. I was talking about general decks without any specific synergy but in a Elf deck, there is definitely some argument for this guy.
As I mentioned, I also play him in one of my deck (also an Elf deck) and I don't regret.

gangrel6;n9645771 said:
Maybe, but Eskel doesn't have the Elf tag, which can be quite useful if you decide to boost all the Elves on your side with a Vrihedd Vanguard. Depends on your strategy, I guess.

The benefit using eskel is greater than +1 from Vanguard

Eliadann;n9648131 said:
SC does not really have top golds. For me, the most powerful are Ithline and Aglais, but in my deck I run Saskia and Saesen. Isemgrim might be good when they release new ambush cards

ambush is underated, it only have 3 ambush cards which is too easy to countered.

Zoltan chivay, isengrim (if you use toruviel and morenn), i would get a neutral weather for basicly every deck, a saskia if you play a mulligan deck, and i personally like gerald aard in combo with hailstorm

I completely forgot about this thread. Been taking a break from Gwent so my foray into ST kind of stalled. Picked up Gwent agains so I'll keep on building ST.

Zoltan Chivay was my first choice. I already have Hailstorm so it can work wonders with that.

Top Bottom