My argument for verticality.

+
My argument for verticality.

Simply made by watching the Witcher 1 intro video. Specifically the bit at 5 minutes or so.

Now, Witcher 3 looks to be making good on the visual promises of this video, so ask yourself, "would it not be a lot of fun to have vertical movement on par with the action we see in the intro video?"

It adds tactical challenge, visual glory and even a certain...epicness. The Witcher fights vs monsters, not men, ( well, ideally), and his capabilites should reflect this multi-tiered engagement spectrum.

I think.

Maybe in future Witcher games. I don't think they can add something like verticality with expansion because it alters game fundamentals.

Witcher 3 is in probably final stages of fine tuning, but as I said they could think about it in next Witcher installment.

goopit

Forum veteran
Now that you mention it. We never fought a creature in the city. It was always the sewers or some basement.

It'd be great if there was one or two monsters we could fight in Novigrad and they'd have AI for scaling rooftops and killing other npcs and you'd have to chase it down, that would probably kill the computer though.

Now that you mention it. We never fought a creature in the city. It was always the sewers or some basement.

It'd be great if there was one or two monsters we could fight in Novigrad and they'd have AI for scaling rooftops and killing other npcs and you'd have to chase it down, that would probably kill the computer though.

I would love to see this for a Vampire, Fleder or another Werewolf showdown. Battle royal on the rooftops of Novigrad. Would be awesome.

If it's been implemented allready then yay, if not then nay, they'll have enough on their plate. Like concept though.

Nay because it'll be branded an AC rip-off. Plus, you know people will abuse the shit out of it.

Also, the actual fight in the book features no climbing of buildings, only of stairs:

"He lowered the Sign suddenly, and sprung aside. The striga, taken by surprise, flew forward, lost her balance, fell, slid along the floor and tumbled down the stairs into the crypt's entrance, yawning in the floor.
Her infernal scream reverberated from below.
To gain time Geralt jumped on to the stairs leading to the
gallery. He had not even climbed halfway up when the striga ran out of the crypt, speeding along like an enormous black spider. The witcher waited until she had run up the stairs after him, then leapt over the balustrade. The striga turned on the stairs, sprang and flew at him in an amazing ten-metre leap. She did not let herself be deceived by his pirouettes this time; twice her talons left their mark on the Rivian's leather tunic. But another desperately hard blow from the silver spiked gauntlet threw the striga aside, shook her. Geralt, feeling fury building inside him, swayed, bent backwards and, with a mighty kick, knocked the beast off her legs."

Last edited:
Simply made by watching the Witcher 1 intro video. Specifically the bit at 5 minutes or so.

Now, Witcher 3 looks to be making good on the visual promises of this video, so ask yourself, "would it not be a lot of fun to have vertical movement on par with the action we see in the intro video?"

It adds tactical challenge, visual glory and even a certain...epicness. The Witcher fights vs monsters, not men, ( well, ideally), and his capabilites should reflect this multi-tiered engagement spectrum.

I think.

Funny you posted this. I played a little Witcher 1 earlier today and thought of the same thing when I saw the intro. An intro I've seen hundreds of times. Must have been since I saw that particular discussion regarding Geralt jumping obstacles or being able to jump outright.

Hell, in that intro Geralt is a little climber isn't he? Oh, wait, I feel the Assassin's skulking about. And we have a Leap of faith lift off! :p

@Sardukhar i made a thread specifically about this subject and also used the Witcher 1 intro as an example.

More importantly, the thread had a poll, and with interesting results, have a look at it if you want: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/21138-How-athletic-should-Geralt-be-in-TW3

Okay after checking again after so long it seems the poll has not survived the birth of the new forums, which is rather unfortunate, but take my word for it, the vast majority of the people, i think it was like 70% or 80%, voted in for Geralt to have much more mobility and vertical capabilities, and in a second question, that same percentage voted for Geralt to literally have to use increased athetism and vertical capabilities to even survive monster encounters.

@Sardukhar i made a thread specifically about this subject and also used the Witcher 1 intro as an example.

More importantly, the thread had a poll, and with interesting results, have a look at it if you want: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/21138-How-athletic-should-Geralt-be-in-TW3

Okay after checking again after so long it seems the poll has not survived the birth of the new forums, which is rather unfortunate, but take my word for it, the vast majority of the people, i think it was like 70% or 80%, voted in for Geralt to have much more mobility and vertical capabilities, and in a second question, that same percentage voted for Geralt to literally have to use increased athetism and vertical capabilities to even survive monster encounters.

My polls didn't survive either. :facepalm:

Yeah, I figured there would be a poll or something, but the polls have been glitched with the new forums. Also, I love to read what I write because I am a massive egotist.

Hopefully your poll was early enough that CDPR took note.

Note - I never missed jumping in Witcher 1 or Witcher 2. I'm speaking of purposeful vertical movement. Of which jumping and leaping would be very important, of course.

Go Geralt, go !!!

I don't see Geralt climbing buildings for any reason other than hunting some kind of monster that roams on the rooftops.
So I wouldn't like the idea of being able to climb buildings and jump from rooftop to rooftop in Witcher 3 as you can in Assassin's Creed. But CDPR could implement a special monster hunting mission where you'd be able to climb a particular building and fight the monster; they could add some chasing and rooftop jumping as well, but in the context of the mission and through a predefined path. It can be implemented as a special and cinematic mission using Uncharted's style. A one time thing only.

Last edited:
CDPR could outdo Ubisoft in this. Look at the quality of their animation in fighting sequences. They don't skimp on the mo-cap and they're very good at translating it into gameplay. Nobody here wants an AC clone, but who wants Geralt to move more swiftly on his feet than he did in TW2? To at least be able to hurdle a fence or climb a wall without a prompt? Fucking everyone, I'd venture to say.

I think more verticality and options for moving around the enviroment in general would be good. Climbing things in nature (like trees, or cliffs) would add more than buildings imo. Ofc sneaking into a castle could be cool aswell. But I think it requires a massive amount of work as the entire map needs to be constructed with this in mind, so it's unlikely.
When it comes to gameplay the most important aspect for me by far is a kick-ass combat system :)!

I don't want free jumping. I always hate this in MMOs for example. But a more fluid context sensitive movement, maybe even vertical, I would like. Not walk up, enter button prompt, wait for animation to end. I want to be able to climb up a ladder and change my mind and go back down. I want to be able to hang at an edge befor going up. But I want those things only where they make sense. Not make the whole workld a parcour environment. Places to move up and down should be deliberate and make sense. I liked the amount in TW2. Maybe if we had mountains a bit more. But the ledges seemed too artificial for me and climbing them was too clunky due to the button prompts. But the accessibility of buildings was just perfect for me. Thes best place was the listening in on the conversation in Loredos backyard for me. That was perfect climbin action.

I'd hardly call mentioning the ability to "scale cliffs" a confirmation that you'll be able to parkour around town.

CDPR could outdo Ubisoft in this. Look at the quality of their animation in fighting sequences.
I understand your enthusiasm, I personally believe in CDPR's talent, and I personally believe CDPR is better than Ubisoft. But Ubisoft has been experimenting and implementing verticality and building climbing since Prince of Persia the sands of times which was released in 2003. Prince of Persia evolved into Assassin's Creed, and it took Ubisoft many years to expand from Prince of Persia's verticality to Assassin's Creed's level. And they've implemented it in other franchises like Splinter Cell as well. So Ubi has a lot of experience in the verticality field, and I think climbing buildings is not going to get any better than the Assassin's Creed series anytime soon. If there was a way, Ubisoft would have found it by now.
I don't mind seeing a climbing system similar to Splinter Cell in the Witcher 3. Climbing rocks or castle walls, not rooftop jumping like Assassin's Creed.

Top Bottom