My beard has stopped growing and that makes me sad.

+
My beard has stopped growing and that makes me sad.

I thought that initially using a custom hairstyle or beard stopped beard growth, as I'd read a snippet from CDPR about how if the player wanted a specific look it wouldn't make sense to make them reapply it from time to time. I had Geralt shaved clean and gave him the shaved sides / pony tail haircut only to notice that, after several days in game my beard hadn't grown back. It seems that my beard is now static, and if I try to uninstall the hair / beard DLC I cannot load my save. Even if I give him back his default hair, the game won't load without the DLC.

I have read of other people using custom hairstyles and still having beard growth, but no such luck for me. Is this a known issue and is there any way to fix it? I liked having the serious business beard, dang it :-/

The hairstyle should have nothing to do with it. The ground rule is basically: Shave your beard clean and it will grow back. Choose a certain beard style and it will stay. We will check out again if there may be any issues with this.

Hey

I had this same issue. My beard grown I shaved it due to the story (you know when, dont wanna spoil it)

But then I shaved it again, and it didn't grow back... I even uninstalled the game and all to make sure it was due to the game.

Hope you fix it :)!

Doesn't the "Beard and hairstyle for Geralt" dlc affect this? Hell I whish there was one for me in real life... har har

Same problem here. I just shaved my beard manually for the first time, clean shave no haircut change in Oxenfurt, and I'm afraid it won't grow again. I've fast-travelled across the map twice, meditated at least 10 days, still clean-shaved. Not game-breaking but sad, that feature was a nice little detail that was increasing immersion ("hmm I've been in the wilds for too long, I look like Gandalf!").

Same problem here. I just shaved my beard manually for the first time, clean shave no haircut change in Oxenfurt, and I'm afraid it won't grow again. I've fast-travelled across the map twice, meditated at least 10 days, still clean-shaved. Not game-breaking but sad, that feature was a nice little detail that was increasing immersion ("hmm I've been in the wilds for too long, I look like Gandalf!").

Exactly exactly, what happened to me :)

I thought my beard was not growing back also after a clean shave in Oxenfurt. I kept meditating over and over and no change. Then suddenly after several in-game days, it did begin to grow back. I noticed it started happening after I progressed in one of the main quests. Maybe it has to do with that? Try doing some quests or even fast-traveling in and out of zones and see if that triggers the beard growth again.

After completing a couple main quests, it's a full beard again. It grew very quickly too.

I think the beard growth may have less to do with in-game time, and more to do with progression in the story/doing side-quests.

Last edited:
Same problem here. Was enjoying the beard growth adding realism to how long I'd been in the field. Understand that some players would find it frustrating to lose the custom look they chose, but I would have rather kept the dynamic aspect. Hope they patch in a way to configure this for dynamic or static

Yep, got a clean shave (no hairstyle change) in Oxenfurt and since then i have been clean shaven ever since. Done many a quest and alas nothing has changed, at least not yet.

Not sure if I'm being impatient, but im sure the beard grew back much sooner after the "enforced" shave.

this is on PS4.

It's not a bug, the "clean shave" beard does grow back, it just takes time. I transitioned from Velen to White Orchard and it grew back.

Edit: If you rested for a day or two and needed to shave again, that would be tedious and not fun if you wanted to be clean shaven, I suspect the long wait time is intended, and I like it that way personally.

Last edited:
It's not a bug, the "clean shave" beard does grow back, it just takes time. I transitioned from Velen to White Orchard and it grew back.

Edit: If you rested for a day or two and needed to shave again, that would be tedious and not fun if you wanted to be clean shaven, I suspect the long wait time is intended, and I like it that way personally.
I can now confirm this is indeed the case, it is just a question of time. I was sure the previous growth was quicker, but it's hard to keep track of course as some quests move the clock on by days vs me travelling to side quests can be quite quick.

anyway, beard growth works!

I'm having the opposite problem, I choose the "Full beard trimmed short" option at the barber, and would like it to stay that way forever, but on certain occasions, oddly enough often after a fist-fighting competition, Geralt's beard has grown several days worth from the time I beat my opponent to the time the cutscene announcing him as the victor begins. Other times it's in cutscenes that involve a couple of hours passing by. You mean to tell me that Geralt's beard can grow well over a week's worth in a matter of hours? It's not immersive and it's annoying to have to break up the pacing of the game to find a barber.

If there is a way to permanently disable beard growth through a simple .ini file modification or something I would really appreciate it.

Should mention, I have the DLC installed, beard still grows though =(

I thought my beard was not growing back also after a clean shave in Oxenfurt. I kept meditating over and over and no change. Then suddenly after several in-game days, it did begin to grow back. I noticed it started happening after I progressed in one of the main quests. Maybe it has to do with that? Try doing some quests or even fast-traveling in and out of zones and see if that triggers the beard growth again.

After completing a couple main quests, it's a full beard again. It grew very quickly too.

I think the beard growth may have less to do with in-game time, and more to do with progression in the story/doing side-quests.

Same thing here actually, sorry. It just seems that time spent fast-travelling and meditating doe snot count toward growing the beard ;)

Isn't possible to set a option in the game menu that allows the beard growing to be choosen? I know that right now isn't, but this is a tip for CD Projekt Red... Implement that!! Because some people likes it, some don't... I installed the patch "beard and haircuts" but I still want the beard to be growing, and there is players who don't. It's a good solution, isn't it?

I think it re-grows when you do quests and things, not just when time passes. It hadn't grown for a while but then after fighting in swamps for a while I had a scruffy beard again.

---------- Updated at 05:59 PM ----------

later posts didn't show up for me at first, so it was already established I just saw after posting and seeing more replies show up

Top Bottom