My biggest bother of this game [Spoilers]

+
Thinking back the biggest bother of this game for me is how we are forced to start the story with the failed heist, death, return and then slowly dying. I think it would be better if we had a chance to succed the heist or at the very least avoid getting killed and have the story about the chip take a complete different path. I feel kind if imprisoned in this story as if i enter jail when i start playing this game and no matter how much i struggle and get an illusion of freedom in night city its not real (additional to the fact thats a game i mean). I think it would give this a game a big PLUS if one could actually explore night city without a malfuntioning personalty chip in the mainbrain.

Just a thought that keeps returning to my mind every now and then.

My opinion, it's just mine :)
Without failed heist, no Relic, no bullet in the head, no Johnny, no Eve, no Judy, no Rogue, no Panam, no Hellman, no VDB, no Alt, no Takemura, no Hanako, no Mikoshi... in short, no story at all. It's simply as that.
Unfortunately (or not), it's a narative game, without story, no game.

(as if you said you wanted to play Mass Effect but without Reapers...)

Last edited:
Why so strictly about that? You success the heist, give the relic to Evelyn and she puts it on to check it and in that moment the vodoo boys attack to get what they think belongs to them after all and in the firefight Evelyn is killed.. at first impression but we bring her to vik and she survives... with the chip activated and the story goes another path.

Why people stick to the idea if the story did not go the path it did there would be no story at all. We have a few choices in this game. So in a pre Alpha state where only Panam and her nomad friends would be possible help for the story final and neither Johnny nor Rogue would be available, somebody who says why we have to stick to Panam, you would say.. if Panam does not help us.. there would be no story because we would be unable to enter the Arasaka tower, not reaching Alt.. and could not finish the game, wow.

Whole story concept is build around city of dreams where we are headed with clear goal to become successfull and all of that is taken away from us. So you need to feel a failure and transition from "hope and dreams" attitude to "survive" mode where basically city is consuming you.

I love a fact how V is not a superhero but a real person who fails, makes mistakes, struggles and faces all those dead ends in a story. Maybe thats why so many people connect with character that much because its more... human.

Why so strictly about that? You success the heist, give the relic to Evelyn and she puts it on to check it and in that moment the vodoo boys attack to get what they think belongs to them after all and in the firefight Evelyn is killed.. at first impression but we bring her to vik and she survives... with the chip activated and the story goes another path.
I agree the story could be different :)
But how gigantic will be the work for that kind of multiple way story ?
It's insane and not possible (or yes, but the game will be released in 5 years) :(

And it's not that intrusive (The Relic's malfunction). Apart in the main quests, you don't see often johnny and have relic malfunction.
If you play like me (lot of replay) :
You rush the Heist.
- Either you rush through the main quests and reach the point of no return without doing anything else.
- Ethier you don't do any main quests before clear the map (like me).
By doing that, it gives you a lot of playtime without having to go through Johnny or the Relic problems.

Whole story concept is build around city of dreams where we are headed with clear goal to become successfull and all of that is taken away from us. So you need to feel a failure and transition from "hope and dreams" attitude to "survive" mode where basically city is consuming you.

I love a fact how V is not a superhero but a real person who fails, makes mistakes, struggles and faces all those dead ends in a story. Maybe thats why so many people connect with character that much because its more... human.

Whole story concept is build around Keanu Silverhand.

*shrugs* I bet if obsidian had released this game there would be true points of choice in the story to follow different pathes. And about the time for the developement i dont care. Since the very first trailer of CP and the release i almost forgot about the game because i did not jump in anticipation for every little piece of info they threw in our direction. So i would not care if the game would still in developement right now.. I would spend my time with something else end after your 5 years i would be overjoyed by a game with TRUE choice and consequences and not just fake consequences like a bird flies from left to right or from right to left through the final cutscene depending of the hand we opened the last door with or something :3

Beside of choosing right on the first planet if you wipe the rebels or the corp dominated city, yeah really no big choice lol. Where do you have such a choice at CP.

Beside of choosing right on the first planet if you wipe the rebels or the corp dominated city, yeah really no big choice lol. Where do you have such a choice at CP.
Yep, in total 4 or 5, there is no much more choice (If destroying one of the two factions or reconciling them is considered an essential and decisive choice).
Those choices don't change anything after in story (but as you wich) ;)

For me, it's the same type of choice as between Meredith or Anthony, VDB or Netwatch, Help Judy or not, Help Panam or not... (except Judy and Panam could influence the end of the game) :)

Last edited:
Oh yeah.. i wished i could wipe the tigerclaw gang in cp if not completly then at least to the point that they never will recover anymore in opposition to the other gangs.

But as you said Outer world is obsidians first very own first person (if you dont count Fallout New Vegas because of Bethesda owning the franchise) so you either would have to admit that they lack the experience to make good first person games wich The witcher people clearly dont or you count FNV wich choice and consequence bulldoze CP to dust.
Post automatically merged:

My opinion, it's just mine :)
Without failed heist, no Relic, no bullet in the head, no Johnny, no Eve, no Judy, no Rogue, no Panam, no Hellman, no VDB, no Alt, no Takemura, no Hanako, no Mikoshi... in short, no story at all. It's simply as that.
Unfortunately (or not), it's a narative game, without story, no game.

(as if you said you wanted to play Mass Effect but without Reapers...)

Uhm the reapers will attack no matter if our Commander Sheppard acts or does not. We only manage them to not wipe out life in the milky way galaxy like they did in all the previous cycles.

Last edited:
Oh yeah.. i wished i could wipe the tigerclaw gang in cp if not completly then at least to the point that they never will recover anymore in opposition to the other gangs.

But as you said Outer world is obsidians first very own first person (if you dont count Fallout New Vegas because of Bethesda owning the franchise) so you either would have to admit that they lack the experience to make good first person games wich The witcher people clearly dont or you count FNV wich choice and consequence bulldoze CP to dust.
I like Outer Worlds, but there you can be the big hero, and in CP the concept is totally different.

Thinking back the biggest bother of this game for me is how we are forced to start the story with the failed heist, death, return and then slowly dying. I think it would be better if we had a chance to succed the heist or at the very least avoid getting killed and have the story about the chip take a complete different path. I feel kind if imprisoned in this story as if i enter jail when i start playing this game and no matter how much i struggle and get an illusion of freedom in night city its not real (additional to the fact thats a game i mean). I think it would give this a game a big PLUS if one could actually explore night city without a malfuntioning personalty chip in the mainbrain.

Just a thought that keeps returning to my mind every now and then.
All other points aside, in practical terms this would require you to develop essentially 50-75% of an additional game on top of what is already there, in story terms. That's an enormous (and expensive) undertaking.

All other points aside, in practical terms this would require you to develop essentially 50-75% of an additional game on top of what is already there, in story terms. That's an enormous (and expensive) undertaking.
It for sure is. But it probably would not have been, if the devs had in advance implement a bypass in the story to play around V´s death and return to the original story only with a different role for the different charackters. I am sure the murder of the old Arasaker would have happened either way if only a bit different so it would not happened in the hotel perhaps or later or earlier. Yeah they would needed more time for this i am sure but, as i said would not have minded to wait longer for the release.

Listening to Pawel's stream on Sunday and he touched on this, how to do every concept that they had at the beginning would have required a 12 year development cycle not the 5 years that they had.

Guest 4564903

I like the story, glad its the way it is and would not change it.

I've played the game for what it is and not what it might have been or should have been, I think these days with all the information on games in regards to changes before release or cut content people focus too much on that instead of just playing the game. Just a general observation, not referring to anyone or anything people have said here.

*shrugs* I bet if obsidian had released this game there would be true points of choice in the story to follow different pathes. And about the time for the developement i dont care. Since the very first trailer of CP and the release i almost forgot about the game because i did not jump in anticipation for every little piece of info they threw in our direction. So i would not care if the game would still in developement right now.. I would spend my time with something else end after your 5 years i would be overjoyed by a game with TRUE choice and consequences and not just fake consequences like a bird flies from left to right or from right to left through the final cutscene depending of the hand we opened the last door with or something :3

you might not care, but developers care. A 15 year project with no game release is outside the scope of an acceptable undertaking. Also, all stories in games have certain unavoidable points. The only games that can avoid this are total sandboxes. You aren't going to get infinity in a single player game.

You are free to dislike it, but few narrative games are going to let you change the premise of the game. And the heist is actually the premise. Notice that the title card doesn't show until its over. The heist is the prologue.

Listening to Pawel's stream on Sunday and he touched on this, how to do every concept that they had at the beginning would have required a 12 year development cycle not the 5 years that they had.
Yes when I saw one of the life path clips that insinuated they might be going that way my instinctive thought was "you cannot be serious that would involve developing three entire games".

Well its at the very least special as usually the game ends with the death, this game beginns with your death. So instead of game over your are dead, its game beginns your are dead.

Top Bottom