My Cyberpunk 2020 is not Your Cyberpunk 2020

+
My Cyberpunk 2020 is not Your Cyberpunk 2020

I thought I knew Cyberpunk. I was born in 1979, late compared to a few pros here, but I got to know Cyberpunk 2020 at a very very early age. I might have been 10 or a bit older, when I first delved into the world. Since then, I spent countless nights of my youth playing Cyberpunk, and even at an older age, returning to the world I knew so well. I myself and the crew I played with, and still play with, owned most of the material between us. I thought Cyberpunk was something I knew like the back of my hand.

Discussing threads on these forums have made me realize though, that my 20 odd years in this game don't mean shit when it comes to how the world is perceived by others. I've already made a few mistakes on these forums, thinking I can go around telling people what Cyberpunk 2020 is. As I started to post here, and I read people's responses, I pretty quickly started to realize that I don't know the world they're talking about. Even when I have the books and they have the books, and we're both quoting the same source material.

The picture we have in our head, the feeling we have, of the world that we have played in, or have run a campaign in, isn't necessarily what Cyberpunk 2020 is at all for other people. There's no true Cyberpunk 2020 source material in the form of TV series or movies. There's a crapton of Cyberpunk source material, but not 2020.

Some people here think the world is a dark and dank dystopia where everything is shit; I disagree. For me it was more like a "wtf you kidding me, this is awesome" -kind of a world. Some people say it's anime; I disagree. I've never seen any Cyberpunk live action as anime, even though I fully admit the influences.

So I realize now, finally, that this world is so varied and colorful, that we can all have our own Cyberpunk 2020. I know there's the written description, but that's where it ends. The rest is within our own imagination.

When, or if we get into an argument then, over something pertaining to Cyberpunk 2020, we should look at the RAW; rules as written. Or descriptions as written. We should have a direct quote from the source material. Then we can discuss it, and we will have something to fall back on. Still, I'm sure we will still find ourselves seeing the world in different ways.

Then there are of course the people who never got into Cyberpunk 2020 very deeply, or have never heard of it, but know the Cyberpunk genre (or whatever name you want to use for it.) To you I must say: Cyberpunk 2020 isn't all Cyberpunk. It's a specific thing, and it's very different from quite a few Cyberpunk books, movies and so on.

I guess what I would like to end this rambling on is this: when discussing shit here, just remember, people see things differently, and they're not wrong because of it. I think we can avoid quite a few arguments if we just keep that in mind.

That's all. Peace choombas.

:)

To loan an expression used in SLA Industries forums: "Your Night City May Vary"...

Anyway, I agree with you MacLeod. Certainly variation of "Night City" setting that I have used in my games vary quite a bit among themselves not to mention how much they differ from your interprations. So, well said!

Well, it's CDPR's cyberpunk now cause they bought the licence.

There's bound to be heated discussion on gaming forums, especially for something that may end up being a genre defining title. A legacy for Deus Ex was never established and the whole Cyberpunk genre has gone by the wayside. CDPR and Talsorian may be solely responsible for its revival in the games industry, I mean this is the big one.. so expect passions to run high at times.

I remember when R Talsorian was based in Santa Cruz. I started playing it when I was sixteen.

I ate it up. It wasn't a typical RPG, it was gritty, it was grey, and it was brutal.

It will always be my favorite, when wearing black and being bad wasn't in style.

AH, another SLA traveller.

Hey, me too.

Ktr'ks'k the death squad shaktar, nickname "Lollipop", wearing a Powercell armor with an ECM bodysuit underneath it and an ECM cloak (painted in a colorful lollipop motif), shoulder-mounted IR/UV lamp, IR/UV sight, motion sensor and voice modulator in the helmet, with a waldo unit and a MAL AR (assault cannon, really), also carrying a FEN AR and a FEN 603, with a Power Claymore for close combat fighting, blaze UV in the left hand drug injection system, kickstart SOLO in the right one, has an SCL of 8C1. Visited the cannibal sectors quite a few times.

Was a fun character to play, and the only one of my SLA characters that our SLA GM didn't kill off. Was played with a very very experience-stingy and rules-nitpicking GM, which is why the character's awesomeness felt even better.

My cyberpunk is dystopian, a fuck the system kind of party. Where the punks rule the streets of the future, but are oppressed by the system.

Many films and stories get it wrong because the point of view was always from a good guy like a cop, or someone so honest, and doesn't kill people blah blah blah. They get it wrong because it isn't dark or gritty or none of that, its not even noir.

I'm glad the creators see it that way as well and that is why they have my loyalty.

For me, I could never get away from Cyberpunk 2013.

2020 felt like the dirt had been painted over, but was still there if you scratched the surface.

And yes then there was SLA

Well, it's CDPR's cyberpunk now cause they bought the licence.

There's bound to be heated discussion on gaming forums, especially for something that may end up being a genre defining title. A legacy for Deus Ex was never established and the whole Cyberpunk genre has gone by the wayside. CDPR and Talsorian may be solely responsible for its revival in the games industry, I mean this is the big one.. so expect passions to run high at times.

again that is going to depend on your definition. Cyberpunk as a games genre has been trending for quite a while it is a very hot commodity right now and I am not sure why. However many purists on these forums would likely argue that any or all of the games that have been trending "are not cyberpunk" as I have allready seen many times.

You're correct Mc. Every Narrator, every Players has it own Night City and none is wrong. Sure there's the "Standard" what's written in the Sourcebooks still "Your" Night City is the one which matters. This is an old topic in PnP RPGs. Usually it leads to the old discussion about following or not following the Canons of a Setting. For me it matters only the fun. If it is fun keep it that way.

I am multifaced.
Just because it's cyberpunk doesn't mean it has to be dystopian.
Just because you live on the edge doesn't mean it has to be all happy and dandy.
Just because you live by the law or against it doesn't mean you'll live the life you wanted.

To quote a nice quote I found on youtube;
"The brilliance of a true dystopian society is based on the fact that no one notices that they are being ruthlessly oppressed."

There is a reason people become Cops and there's a reason people work for corporations and live their life in that world just as they live the same in ours. Because it's not all dystopian for others even if it is that way to us.

The "punk" in "cyberpunk" is the important part. Advanced technology just implies science fiction. A dark, gritty setting where many of those technologies are illegal and yet still used in the criminal underground. Large syndicates hire advanced PMCs or assassins to wage wars, the military has insanely powerful soldiers, shitty street surgeries, rampant drug abuse, etc. Massive cities with huge slums that police don't even GO to. Themes like that. That's cyberpunk.

My cp has always been a fusion of BGC and Cyberpunk 2013 and 2020. With V3, it added Transmetropolitan, and a bit of Eclipse Phase into it, threw it into a blender with a shot of absinthe. what came out was glorious madness and a mixture of High society and street scum.

players enjoyed it, anyway :)

My CP 2020 was a bit of BGC (the 80s version), Cybercity 0080, Armitage, Appleseed, as well as a bit of Neuromancer and Snow Crash, Blade Runner (the Movie) and the Total Recall 2070 show. Stuck into a pot, mixed around and let simmer for an hour.

Man, I wish I had the money to re get all the books again...

The "punk" in "cyberpunk" is the important part. Advanced technology just implies science fiction. A dark, gritty setting where many of those technologies are illegal and yet still used in the criminal underground. Large syndicates hire advanced PMCs or assassins to wage wars, the military has insanely powerful soldiers, shitty street surgeries, rampant drug abuse, etc. Massive cities with huge slums that police don't even GO to. Themes like that. That's cyberpunk.

Like my sig says: Transhuman stories are about how technology will improve man and society. Cyberpunk, is how technology won't.

I just wish I knew who said that, so I can attribute it to them. Because, frankly, that's GENIUS.

My game was more about the social and cultural issues the "Cybergeneration" faced then the hardware itself.

Since it was set in the 2020's the "Establishment" generation grew up in the 1980's-90's (which just happened to be when I was running the game) and I looked at how (who grew up in the 50's-60') was viewed by the WW II generation when we had our 60's hippies and 70's disco and tried to have my players run into similar "issues" with the powere-that-be.

FUN !

I always thought the beauty of the CP2020 was that it could be pretty much anything. There is a huge variety of different situations and cultures you could find yourself in across the globe and I don't see why 2020 would be any different. Same shit, different day, the more things change, the more they stay the same etc etc. There's just a few more cool toys to play with.

My campaigns sometimes ran like boyz in the hood/menace 2 society etc, sometimes like a James bond movie or a technothriller. Cold war style spy stuff, Heat or other crime movies. Pride and Prejudice...can Mr. Darcy overcome his contempt for meatbags and find love with Elizabeth or will his new Mr.Studd implant finally tip him over the edge, with horribly gruesome and also thoroughly scandalous consequences?

Top Bottom