My Cyberpunk 2020 is not Your Cyberpunk 2020

+
For me, Cyberpunk was all of it, at the same time, with bits of Post apocalypse movies thrown in...

So my games were the most heavily influenced by Bladerunner, Appleseed, Xenone, AD-Police, Hill Street Blues, The Warriors, Boyz In The Hood, Colors, Nemesis, Robocop, Black Rain, Big Trouble in Little China, The Last Dragon, Police Story, Enter The Dragon, City On Fire, Killer, Hard Boiled, Better Tomorrow, Sanctuary, Crying Freeman, Riding Bean, Gunsmith Cats, Bubblegum Crisis, Madox-01, Ghost In The Shell, James Bond, Black Ops, Death Wish 3, Casablanca, The Maltese Falcome, Chinatown, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, The Dead Fall, Streets Of Fire, .... the list goes on and on...

And outside the cities my games were influenced by the Mad Max films, El Mariachi and Desperado, Romancing The Stone, Fist Of The North Star, Legend of Mother Sarah, Stryker, Wheels Of Fire, Battle Truck, A Boy And His Dog, Warlords of the 21st Century, Spacehunter, She, Lone Wolf McQuade, and even Waterworld, and so much more...

I also ran Military Campaigns, in Africa and South America, where I was further influenced by Black Hawk Down, Platoon, Aliens, Starship Troopers, The Deer Hunter, Full Metal Jacket, Macross, Venus Wars, Tears Of The Sun, Clear and Present Danger, Traffic, Hamburger Hill, The Beast, Navy Seals, and fuck my brain is starting to hurt....

In other words, I take inspiration from just about everywhere...

Most of my games revolved around the edgerunner team for hire. Extractions, body guard, theft, assassination. My players had a very limited appetite and was as much action orinated as possible. I tried to redirect some of the games to something deeper with more intrigue and layers of plots. Never panned out as the players were gun happy shooters looking for the next missions. Kinda converted me down that path as well.

Am i the only one who's cyberpunk is not a dystopia? I play it as a land of opportunity. Where all you need to become one of the 1% is a gun and a bad attitude. It is a place where anyone can make it if they are willing to fight and kill for it. There is no good guy and bad guys, only us and them. trying to crawl over each other to the top. The Corps only worry about the bottom line, and if you help that your their friend. If you hurt it your their enemy, if you hurt it really bad and tell them to back the Jigoku up you become a cost liability and a do not interact order is put out. And... if you try very very hard... you can float your little PMC on the market and become very rich.

Welcome to Laissez-faire at it's purest. That is my night city.

The most memorable game I had was based loosely off Thunderbirds (and the anime Thunderbirds 2086), where the team was an REO meat wagon crew, with an AV-4 and everything. Lot's of fun to watch them plan extractions through danger and combat zones. Including a nail biter of a collapsing building.

Am i the only one who's cyberpunk is not a dystopia? I play it as a land of opportunity. Where all you need to become one of the 1% is a gun and a bad attitude. It is a place where anyone can make it if they are willing to fight and kill for it. There is no good guy and bad guys, only us and them. trying to crawl over each other to the top. The Corps only worry about the bottom line, and if you help that your their friend. If you hurt it your their enemy, if you hurt it really bad and tell them to back the Jigoku up you become a cost liability and a do not interact order is put out. And... if you try very very hard... you can float your little PMC on the market and become very rich.

Welcome to Laissez-faire at it's purest. That is my night city.

That is one of the game play experiences I keep wanting and instead I get oppresive regimes corporate wars or the assumption that I will never be rich enough to retire. I guess the very definition of my cyberpunk is not yours.

a friend of mine gave me 4 GB of Cyperpunk 2020, and also 2013 and the later updated one files. I honestly don't know where to start lol

There's a lot of ways to play (experience?) CP2020. For me it was always this dark, and rainy future of broken and cynical people. Where all choices were wrong, happy endings, were just an illusion, and for every decision you've made, there was a price to pay. High-tech and cyberware were just icing on cake ;)

Im still pretty new to the game itself i have always thought of it as like Bladerunner.

my GM takes that, makes it more realistic and adds in the dark truths- like hey there actually are slave markets and shit- and then makes you face that stuff. but at the same time we have our moments of geting drunk and having a good ol time.

Cyberpunk, i guess to me is just life. it sucks, and so you have to make the best out of it.

@C. MacLeod 's orignal post

I've got to get my hands on some source material. For a world to be so many things to others, that is the mark of a truly artful creation.

Its also a thing I hate about PnP games. Its the selfish part of me that doesn't not want the players to "intrude" on my setting as a GM :D. Silly I know (like hell it is!:p), but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about ;D.

The way I ran it was pretty much in the US there were major cities while most of the land in-between was not useful anymore due to the corps ruining it. Nomads travel in large packs around the US. Europe and Asia was much different due to the total lack of damage to those countries.
Bladerunner, Johnny Menomic and other such films were my main inspiration for cityscapes.

I treated the Combat Zone like an episode of Streetfighter V anime when to go to that large black area were gangs run rampant and there is no law.

Top Bottom