My embarassing Blade Runner admission

+
My embarassing Blade Runner admission

Blade Runner kind of bores me. I know it's not a goundbreaking opinion as I've heard it from several people my age, but it still deeply saddens me. I would say I simply don't understand the narrative. That's when I realize there virtually is no narrative. Blade Runner is about themes. This isn't a matter of me not understanding what Blade Runner is asking me to ask of myself, it's just I think these ideas are old and already explored. Ironically, this is probably not the case. Blade Runner may have been the first to explore these ideas and everything that came after was influenced by it.

Visually the movie is still stunning and the set pieces are impressive. Obviously, I love the world in in-which the moive is set, I just don't find the story particularly gripping and the characters seem void and lifeless. Maybe it's the fact that I watched The Final Cut first and I should go back and watch the theatrical version with the apparent horrible voice over, so I can get a better idea of why Decker does the things he does.

I know many of you might be thinking that I'm spoiled by todays quick jump cuts and spoonfeeding when it comes to film and you may partially be correct, but I would like to point out that I have watched and enjoyed many films that are considered just as exesential and I appreciated them without much difficulty.

I've always felt it's legacy was in the visuals, which helped define the genre. On a narrative level, I agree. It's not really that good.

You don't need to feel 'embarrassed' over it. There are many who don't like a good thing while there are those who enjoy what most don't consider great, and like many I fall under both categories too. I personally found it visually great, on narrative it was okay. You didn't like it, cool, since you went about it in a civil way, and not what this generation calls them as 'fanboys' and 'haters'

I watched Blade Runner (Final Cut version) again a couple of weeks ago, I'd almost forgotten just how little story there actually is in it. I wonder what'll happen with the remake/reboot? I just don't see them being able to make a film that way again.

I don't think there's anything wrong in not liking it, as long as you can appreciate/respect it.

It's okay dude. I had the same problem when I watched Ghost in the Shell. Really went over my head the first time I saw it. Looked very nice though.

You gotta see the films more than once to actually understand the themes without using Wikipedia or Google. These really aren't films for a mainstream audience.

Ghost in the Shell is way more complex and more intelligently written than Blade Runner. Blade Runner is wonderful on the surface only. It has zero depth.

I -could- fight this battle but, hey, I'm old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themes_in_Blade_Runner

"Despite the initial appearance of an action film, Blade Runner operates on an unusually rich number of dramatic levels"

And then it's followed with evidence of same. With footnotes!

BR has flaws and, horribly I prefer the voice over version because a world-weary monotone suits my noir taste, but BR is not shallow.

It plays tag with hubris, ours and our creations, the irony of perceived humanity and, oh yes, how much itches you can't scratch are like being smashed into cars.

It is deservedly a great film and not merely for it's aesthetic sensibilities.

I liked the little touches in Blade Runner like when Deckers blood came out while drinking from the shot glass but yeah it was a bit boring. Roy's death made it all worth it though.

and there weren't even any blades and not a lot of running either, I mean wtf.

Yes, it's about powerful themes on the human condition, invoking emotions through image and music rather than any kind of coherent story. Not to the degree of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but still.

Ghost in the Shell is way more complex and more intelligently written than Blade Runner. Blade Runner is wonderful on the surface only. It has zero depth.
...hahahahaha!

My wife thinks Ghost in the Shell (and most of Shirow's work) is overblown, pretentious posturing. ;-)

(Not that she enjoys Blade Runner any more, mind you. She'd just scoff at your "complex" comment, is all. Heh.)

Top Bottom