My Extreme Budget NR Projectile Reaver Deck

+
My Extreme Budget NR Projectile Reaver Deck

Gold: Henslet, Philippa, Renew
Silver: Ves, Operator
Bronze: Sergeant (2), Reaver Scout (2), Reaver Hunter (3), Reinforced Trebuchet (3), BS Commando (3), Temerian Infantry (3), Redanian Knight Elect (1), BS Scout (2), Alzur's Thunder (2), Quen Sign (1), Swallow Potion (1)
Total: 28 cards

http://gwentify.com/decks/extreme-bu...ectile-reaver/

The first thing you will notice is a lack of silver/golds and not completely thinned to 25. Those cases are because going for a major budget version (for the most part, a newbie can craft this deck from day 1) + little more consistency on a draw that actually also offers more flexibility to your play.

What I mean about flexibility of play is how you are not locked into doing 1 particular thing in 1 particular round in any round. But each round has a theme, and your draw depends on which theme to play in the round you are in.

1) Pair of Sergeants (1 possibly played w/ Reaver Scout), then Temerian Infantry (all on 1 play). Each of those 3 plays will draw out a Blue Stripes Commando. Put them all on the same row so as Ves will then come out. 3 turns just got you 47/48 points. Preferably 48 due to the use of a Reaver Scout because you are protected against Epidemic and a Rotting Cow (if facing Nifgaard), if all on same row. Ves mostly protects vs. Scorch in general and will protect from Geralt Igni if all on same row with her. Lacerate can hurt you bad if opponent has it. There is no perfect way to play them as always open to something, just have to depend on luck of your opponent's draw and the cards that they may/may not have in their hand. Better to use in first 2 rounds either to force a quick pass, or as part of a bleed out strategy. If draw forces you to use in final round, then maybe try and save Ves from not being used in Reaver Hunter round.

2) Reaver Hunters. Either 3 or 4 depending on when you can use the Operator. Can be drawn out with Henslet's leader ability if the draw is there and that is your preference for when to use him. Play 3 in a row for the damage bonus (opponents highest card on the board is cut in half, disregarding armor). Maybe couple with Ves if she was not used already, depending on draw and play.

3) Reinforced Trebuchets. Either 3 or 4 depending on when you can use the Operator. Can be drawn out with Henslet's leader ability if the draw is there and that is your preference for when to use them.

Hopefully draw allows for either Trebuchet or Reavers in the final round. And hopefully can also buff/protect one set of them with Quen Sign, again, dependent upon your draw. Either might be open to Scorch, so be strategic with your use of Swallow potion and/or Redanian Knight Elect (when doing that with this card, put on the end). Your draw + the final Reaver Scout should allow for you to get 3/4 Reaver Hunters/Trebuchets in the round you are using them.

A pair of Blue Commando Scouts is there for some weather control. Could sub First Light if worried about the more premiere board weather attacks like Drought, White Frost or Ragh Nar Roog. And a pair of Alzur's Thunder cards are used for either bleeding or Rotting Cow protection if facing Nifgaard.

Philippa and Renew (so she can be used again) as your golds can provide a finisher or major damage to your opponent for bleeding out their cards. Philippa in round 1 or 2, Renew in round 3, all as part of either finishing off a round or a bleeding strategy in round 2.

Again, you are depending on your draw to some extent, but that is always the case with a Northern Realms deck. Theoretically, a really bad draw could prevent a theme to be used properly in a round, but because of the flexibility offered, you are hit less by this than some other NR decks. And depending on which theme used in final round, plus the remaining cards in your deck, you can conceivably overcome a bad draw. In a perfect world 47/48 from Sergeants/BS/TI will force a quick pass. Then bleed opponent out of cards in round 2 with Trebuchets or Reaver Hunters, using the other for the finisher in the final round.

If have the additional scrap resources, could add/substitute Reinforcement for a little better card draw consistency. Or substitute the Witcher Trio for Temerian Infantry. I don't have any of those cards (remember, extreme budget deck), so only speaking hypothetically on that issue. A 3rd Sergeant could be considered (now instead using 4 plays as opposed to 3 before for potential 54/55 or 61/62 pts depending on Ves usage), but that increases your deck size even more beyond the base built or replaces something that provided a different utility to this deck.

Created using v.9.8 patch info. Feedback is very welcome.

Last edited:
I do not understand the deck at all, nor the purpose of this thread.
  • Even the starter decks have 6 silvers and 4 golds. Why have you removed those? Running 2 golds makes no sense regardless; using Renew makes even less sense.
  • Of the Silvers you are using, Ves, is actually too situational and mediocre in this deck.
  • Not to mention you always want to have 3 sergeants.
  • The Reaver Scout is unreliable in this deck too.
  • The Swallow Potion doesn't fit either.
  • And 28 cards is too much for this deck.
And this is only half of it. The following link has some interesting budget decks you can try out instead: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks?filter-...=1&sort=-views

4RM3D3D regarding the purpose, i saw other threads about people's decks, and i have had a ton of fun with this one so i thought i'd share. i also thought it was different enough due to reaver/trebuchet combo that i'd offer a base idea to people who either are newbies that want an easy to put together and entertaining deck, or to vets who might think of ways to pimp it out more with better scrap resources.

regarding your specific feedback, i kind of addressed every single one of those points in the strategy description. though i guess i can expand more on the less gold/silver. it is because the main attraction for this deck is the utility all the specific bronze i spoke of weighing more than the use of triss or geralt (budget deck, remember) i also forgot to say to be careful with making sure renew isn't in your hand for rd 3 if the draw prevented a philippa play.

i did forget to mention that swallow potion also provides some cover for someone using villen. wait til just before turn 3 of that gold card, and give the potion to your opponents highest card. odds are, that total will now be higher than anything in your hand that prompted them to use that card in the first place.

I see. Of course you are free to suggest whatever you want. Still, this deck isn't viable enough, even on a tight budget, you can do better. Also, there is no deck (mechanic) yet that is actually made better with less gold/silver cards, regardless of your explanation, you really shouldn't go with less.

4RM3D;n9222361 said:
I see. Of course you are free to suggest whatever you want. Still, this deck isn't viable enough, even on a tight budget, you can do better. Also, there is no deck (mechanic) yet that is actually made better with less gold/silver cards, regardless of your explanation, you really shouldn't go with less.

Don't think I would agreee with that all the time. What you try to do with the "less silvers and golds" approach is to go for more synergy between your bronze cards while keeping your deck size to a minimum for consistency. NR in particular has a certain lack of golds and silvers that synergize with the bronze cards in a meaningful way. While you would proably argue that the basic silvers and golds (like Geralt, Triss) do have a higher strength by themselves, they provide no interaction with the bronze cards via crewman or similar things and (in this case) reinforced trebuchet could end up to be a 5 strength card dealing 9 damage for higher relative point gain than the basic golds. So in theory I can see reasons for going with more bronze cards instead.

I do not think this deck in optimized and you pointed out a few of the inconsistencies. I would still say that it is a good beginner and budget deck because you get to learn the core mechanics of NR in a deck that looks like it might hold its own and without investing into expensive cards that you might not want to use in the future if you move on to a different faction.

Trent2501;n9225141 said:
What you try to do with the "less silvers and golds" approach is to go for more synergy between your bronze cards [...] While you would proably argue that the basic silvers and golds (like Geralt, Triss) do have a higher strength by themselves [...] So in theory I can see reasons for going with more bronze cards instead.

This is an interesting dilemma. In theory, there can be a lot of different situations where a bronze card is actually stronger than a gold card. The most straightforward example is when Gigni doesn't have a target, leaving you with just a 4 strength body (although immune to damage). However, that doesn't mean you should swap out Gold cards for Bronze in favor of more synergy. This is actually still a bad idea for a number of reasons. First of all, the bronze cards need to set up in order to create a combo. However, this can be disrupted by the opponent or you could also not have the proper cards (like in round 3). Furthermore, having a few "stand-alone" cards gives more flexibility and an opportunity to supplement your deck. Gigni in a non-control deck can still create a powerful point swing.

All things leads back to my original point: there is no deck that profits from having less Gold/Silver cards. That doesn't mean you cannot create an interesting deck, it just means it will never be a serious thing. As for (t)his deck specifically, it seems that Renew was pulled from a keg or something and Cardzilla wanted to use it because of that. Because otherwise it still doesn't make sense in this deck. That's besides all the aforementioned points in my previous post.

i wasn't implying this deck was something for major competitive play. i know against built up decks it could be smoked.

my main intention was
- sharing a deck that doesn't limit you to 1 style of play (so many decks make you try and go a set route for each round)
- something a newbie could make
- trying to breakdown the entire possible thought process for its usage
- a suggestion for a vet who has more cards to use as a base for a more pimped out version with some replacements

and yea, i got hold of renew and i already had philippa (base card) and liked her more than basic triss/geralt, so thought worth it to try and get her played twice instead of one of those basic golds. i also thought upping my odds for getting trio's, using reaver bonuses, and pounding with reinforced trebuchets was more valuable than basic triss/geralt, ala trent's discussion on synergy.

Well, you'll definitely soon hit a point where this deck will stop winning you any games.

But as long as you are happy with it, there's nothing wrong with playing a deck like that. Still at some point you'll have to do changes and 4RM3D made very good points where to start.

Top Bottom