My extreme dissatisfaction of the hotfix.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
ser2440;n10216502 said:
[...]Calling the Midwinter update a ****storm and insulting devs, even indirectly is definitely not verbally abusive at all, yes. Unfounded, maybe not. There are some legit concerns. But no, it's still way more insulting than it should be. Unless it got edited and I didn't notice which with the intervention of mods here, it might have *EDIT* No it didn't. We are talking of the same OP in its current form
I guess those are lines you refer to:

Shadow-Stalker;n10214792 said:
[...]Because after the overwhelming sh*tstorm you left the game in before Christmas and the extended season/delayed patch... THIS, is all you could muster?[...]
A fact that refers to the reaction of the community, and features a common term used for a wide amount of disagreement, offendingly formulated, of users in the internet for a certain subject.

[...]A handful of text changes that no where near spread the full spectrum of literary issues[.][...]
The complaint that there where bigger issues to be solved, prioritywise in the personal opinion.

[...]Because yet again more problems have arisen than those you have fixed.[...]
The fact that the patch seems to add new bugs that have been reported and not every bugfix works yet.

[...]The decline continues CDPR. I hope the 70% of your development team that are working on the mobile ports are doing a better job.
Disagreement with CDPRs focus on gwents future, supposingly aiming for the making of a mobile version - although I have not read something official yet myself, just remarks of users in other discussions.

In general the post is written of a user that is upset save to say I guess. Albeit I agree with you that it could've been nicer in its wording it is nothing lamentable in my opinion.

Off topic posts deleted. Last chance to get back on topic. I don't care who started it. I'd prefer not to issue penalties.

EDIT: Just so it's clear:

On Topic - Dissatisfaction/satisfaction with the patch/hotfix.
Off Topic - Quality of other people's posts, their motivations in posting or just personally going after other users.

Last edited:
extremely bad patch. there are so many deks that need balance changes and the only thing they do is nerf spies. but what about the fucking dwarves with huge basenumbers and the ability to draw one card after the other?
can someone tell me when the real patches are coming? will stop playing and have to wait until then.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to a balance pass to get back into the game, but I guess I need to drastically lower my expectations.

So uh, why did they remove the option to create card advantage spies? Is this some tacit admission that they are unbalanced? If so, getting them in kegs would give those players a further advantage. What is going on?

Maybe it's time to temporarily retire certain cards while they are rebalanced.

Also: Just went in to play a few rounds since just after the midwinter update, and - poor performance aside - the animations still look like a cartoon knock-off version of the gwent made for the iphone. It lacks the compelling, visceral nature of the witcher universe that I value. Unless they roll back more than half of the changes, the game just isn't for me.

It's an unforeseen shame because how the forum is moderated, along with the engagement of the dev team and the speed of patching, made for a unique experience that I was hoping would last much longer.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
CDPR need to get out in front of this and re-engage with the community. Overall - while I like most of the new content - this entire Midwinter thing has been an unmitigated disaster. Irrespective of the rise of dorfs, I don't recall Gwent ever being this broken for this long. Just let us know what's going on and why this is turning into such a rolling disaster. At least give us some insight so we can sympathise a little. There's a lot of goodwill been burnt over Midwinter, and this failed hotfix will burn even more.

Don't sacrifice the thing you have the most of: player goodwill. Because you can't get that back once its gone.

gigabomb;n10217182 said:
So uh, why did they remove the option to create card advantage spies? Is this some tacit admission that they are unbalanced?

As long as you can play only one, they're fine. Playing a boatload of them through create and Summoning Circle isn't.

iamthedave;n10216692 said:
Other than them explicitly stating that there would not be major balance changes. Some people might have considered that a hint.
Where did they do so? I checked the news section frequently and can't recall such an information.

4RM3D;n10216902 said:
Fair enough. The Christmas period likely delayed the hotfix.
If the whole balancing group was on vacation from when the patch hit, until a couple of days ago - and therefore CDPR couldn't provide troubleshooting for major balancing issues (I am not talking about bugs, they are unfortunate and cannot be predicted self-evidently) - then you should probably not release such a huge patch which can fairly be called expansion.

I saw a comment from their Reddit engagement man over on the official Gwent reddit just the other day.

As for why they aren't patching, there's a tournament coming up shortly. Quickest possible way to tank the professional scene? Major balance patch a week or so before a tournament.

And honestly, the quickest possible way to get dorfs nerfed into the ground is for literally every pro to run almost the same dorfs list, which I suspect they will, with maybe an Eithne variant in there once or twice. That's what led to Ravager Affinity getting the nuclear banhammer in Magic: The Gathering; every tournament's top 8 was about 6 Ravager decks and every final was Ravager vs Ravager.

Gwent's tournament system is healthier because it requires playing decks from all factions, but if an entire faction comes down to one deck, CDPR will kill it with fire.

Last edited:
then you should probably not release such a huge patch which can fairly be called expansion.

I do recall some people mentioning a change in laws of taxes in Poland which would make them have to declare far more income if they pushed the patch after New Year's. Not that that is great justification, but it's worth considering. The point is that sometimes, things just don't go your way, no matter the preparation beforehand. Often on the last minute too. So I think we should give them time to mitigate the flaws of the Midwinter patch

iamthedave I don't pursue reddit, if they did say something right there, some people might knew what to expect. Still why don't you say such in your official forum as the developer yourself?

As for the tournament (Gwent Open #3 20-21 January) matter. I rather expected a patch today than after the open or in between that period of time. It felt unlikely to me that we will not get a balance-orientated patch with the new season starting.
Probably means the 23st January will be the next day to check if a patch applies.

ser2440;n10217462 said:
I do recall some people mentioning a change in laws of taxes in Poland which would make them have to declare far more income if they pushed the patch after New Year's. Not that that is great justification, but it's worth considering.[...]

Thanks for the information and agreed. Still you need to be honest with the poor outcome of that decision as a developer, no matter what the reason behind it is/was.

Last edited:
Can someone point me in the direction of this "dorf" deck. The dwarves haven't changed since the last update as far as I can tell.
Hattori is new, I guess and broth. The fella that locks cards now does diret damage.

Anything else? Really confused why dwarves are suddenly an issue since the last update.

TV_JayArr;n10217372 said:
If the whole balancing group was on vacation from when the patch hit, until a couple of days ago - and therefore CDPR couldn't provide troubleshooting for major balancing issues (I am not talking about bugs, they are unfortunate and cannot be predicted self-evidently) - then you should probably not release such a huge patch which can fairly be called expansion.

iamthedave;n10217242 said:
CDPR need to get out in front of this and re-engage with the community. Overall - while I like most of the new content - this entire Midwinter thing has been an unmitigated disaster. Irrespective of the rise of dorfs, I don't recall Gwent ever being this broken for this long. Just let us know what's going on and why this is turning into such a rolling disaster. At least give us some insight so we can sympathise a little. There's a lot of goodwill been burnt over Midwinter, and this failed hotfix will burn even more.

Don't sacrifice the thing you have the most of: player goodwill. Because you can't get that back once its gone.

Both of these construct upon my original post.

As the former mentions, a little bit of foresight is a wondrous thing. This would have been the professional thing to do, but unfortunately they chose to rush it for a monetary boon across Christmas.

This; truthful to the latter comment, is very uncharacteristic of CDPR and burning the candle dry. There has been an extreme lack of communication with the players for a while now, all we really have is a message apparently stating that they know who they're making Gwent for. Which, contrasted to the recent direction and public outcry, is questionable.

People like to announce that making an online game like Gwent is a very procedural thing that cannot be changed at once. But they soon forget that this is a beneficial thing. As it provides them with more time to work with your players and more time to not screw up in the first place. Fixes are not what we wan't. Thorough thought is.

TV_JayArr;n10217522 said:
iamthedave I don't pursue reddit, if they did say something right there, some people might knew what to expect. Still why don't you say such in your official forum as the developer yourself?

As for the tournament (Gwent Open #3 20-21 January) matter. I rather expected a patch today than after the open or in between that period of time. It felt unlikely to me that we will not get a balance-orientated patch with the new season starting.
Probably means the 23st January will be the next day to check if a patch applies.

CDPR seem keen to engage with reddit. Don't get in too deep but check in now and again. Their reddit man is active on there when things get heated. As for why not on the forum? There's lots of possible explanations but my guess is that posts on the forum are more closely monitored and regulated since they're super official.

gards;n10217592 said:
Can someone point me in the direction of this "dorf" deck. The dwarves haven't changed since the last update as far as I can tell.
Hattori is new, I guess and broth. The fella that locks cards now does diret damage.

Anything else? Really confused why dwarves are suddenly an issue since the last update.

Combination of Barclay Els getting resurrected by Hattori leading into Paulie leading into a strength 15 ish Dwarven skirmisher for a 20+ point chain resurrection, and other tools to get lots of extra bodies on the board. Most try to use Barclay early in the game to get a double-buffed skirmisher for Paulie to resurrect, making the swing even bigger.

Without a detailed post on the matter, the tl;dr is that dorfs now have an incredibly reliable, near-brainless deck that almost always plays the exact same way every time, is borderline impossible to even slow down and very difficult to keep pace with, and it has multiple absurdly powerful round 3 finisher options (Hattori/barclay being the most common).

They also use elven wardancer as a round 2 carryover stand-in so if you dry pass it they gain card advantage, at which point you've instantly lost. Even worse, because they split their massive power across multiple bodies there's no quick fix to getting parity.

Last edited:
gards;n10217592 said:
iamthedave;n10217822 said:
Combination of Barclay Els getting resurrected by Hattori leading into Paulie leading into a strength 15 ish Dwarven skirmisher for a 20+ point chain resurrection, and other tools to get lots of extra bodies on the board. Most try to use Barclay early in the game to get a double-buffed skirmisher for Paulie to resurrect, making the swing even bigger.

To expand on that, ST also has more solid gold cards now, e.g. Schirru, Iorveth: Meditation and Isengrim: Outlaw.

iamthedave;n10217822 said:
CDPR seem keen to engage with reddit. Don't get in too deep but check in now and again. Their reddit man is active on there when things get heated. As for why not on the forum? There's lots of possible explanations but my guess is that posts on the forum are more closely monitored and regulated since they're super official.[...]

I don't intend to make a fuss or start a fundamental debate. Still I think the priority should be your own forum if you need to decide for one.
And I can imagine that reddit is more acitve/crowded/lucrative, because general users of the platform participate in the gwent discussion from time to time, whereas players who participate in this forum do so for doing so and nothing else.

Where are the leaks of our, so called, friendly community guy instead of all the teases he proclaims being leaks instead. Fun aside; I don't think it would harm someone to mention information like this patch not attacking balancing and providing bugfixes solely instead, as a sidenote in one of the official news post, as I said before.

balKilen;n10217172 said:
but what about the fucking dwarves with huge basenumbers and the ability to draw one card after the other?

Wait, what?
Which card(s) is that? The majority of the Dwarf deck I created are no more than 6 power - most of them are 4 power or less and only two of them (1x 2power and 1x 3 power) can tutor other cards.

Popular decks != OP decks

Popular decks != OP decks

Correct. But this one is very close to being OP. It's more powerful than any deck since the closed beta (ok, not Scoia Scorch spam levels yet but still, dangerously close and far more consistent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom