My first experience playing GWENT

+

Guest 4339594

Dear whomever it concerns.

1: I read great reviews of Thronebreaker : witcher Tales. I decided to purchase it. I completed the game on hard mode.
2: I was getting hooked!!!! So i tried GWENT. The tutorial was very basic understandably. The first 5 levels were some great fun with evenly matched players!!! I was thinking great.. this is my new long term game..
3: Then came Level 6.. wow... talk about how to ruin a game for prospective customers (and revenue!). At level 6, I was getting constantly matched with Level 50's.. even in casual games. It was a complete walkover...and it has completely turned me off continuing... waste of time!

Recommendation: Why aren't players matched within 5 levels of each other? this is not rocket science!

I would love to have some resemblemnce of evenly matched play.. the couple of matches (out of about 30) within 5 levels.. were fantastic matches... but its not worth time time.. hours even.. just to find an evenly balanced match level wise.

In conclusion.. I shall be no longer continuing. I was getting really HOOKED until i realised im trying to spend my entire evening trying to find JUST 1 balanced match within 5 levels.

Ignore, or delete my message at your peril. Its not like I need to work for a living.. like yourselves!

EDIT: EVEN 10 LEVELS difference is acceptable.. to encourage myself to purchase cards outright... (you know the carrot on a stick theory??)

But when the carrot is so far ahead you know its impossible to get... why would one bother????

In the end.. i just started delaying matches as long as i could.. in the hope the level 50 opponent would recognise how i am hobbled.. disabled gamewise... but alas :/ Delaying matches and extending them as much as i could.. was my only hope...

Last edited by a moderator:
Recommendation: Why aren't players matched within 5 levels of each other? this is not rocket science!
Because it's incredibly easy (and fast) to get competitive decks, so level does not even matter the slightest after a few hours of playing.
Also, if you want to play against other players of oyur skill lvl, I'd advise against going on Casual, I never noticed any kind of logic behind matchmaking there

If you want a good deck: Witcher trio, all the artifacts you can grab, epidemic, scorch.
Fill with other cards from your preferred faction (which one doesn't really matter) and you're good to go, should be easy to reach rank 10 atleast

Welcome to the forums. It's unfortunate that your experience with Gwent has been less than ideal. However, I do want to point out three things.

First off, on a technical note, the 5 levels difference is arbitrary when you don't know what those 5 levels actually mean. In the case of Gwent, 5 levels means nothing. Also, levels reset after you reach 60 and gained a tier. This means that you could be facing a level 1 who is actually of a higher tier (and thus level). Not the most intuitive system, I agree. The point being, you shouldn't be hung up on just the level difference.

Also, ranked play, on lower ranks, is usually more kind to new players than casual play, ironically. So, once you have a decent deck, I would recommend going for ranked, instead. Gwent is one of the most generous CCG. So, by just doing the dalies, you can get a good deck in no time.

Lastly, the learning curve for Gwent is pretty steep and it takes a while to fully settle into the meta. My recommendation is to watch some streamers (on Twitch or Youtube) and learn from them.

Guest 4339594

I started with Scoiatel as i loved them in Thronebreaker. It was such an amazing game!.. Then I hit level 6 in GWENT and WOW.. it was insta kill.. so i just pass.. BUT.. the most amazing matchups were the couple I had of similar level.. and decks... it was fantastic.. unfortunately i cannot wait for hours to find 1 :/

The higher levels just throw crazy cards at you .. and my deck is extremely limited I even saw very similar decks where multiple.. extra cards get played where I have no ability to do so...
Post automatically merged:

I understand.. but at Level 6 there is essentially nothing. I logged in today. There were 2 daily quests which i hadnt used the decks before. I cannot even win a single game against higher levels. My deck... the highest unit is a bear.. there is 0 synergy available.

This is where thronebreaker excelled. I loved the synergy... to compliment each unit. But now it is non existent :/

I also understand.. I was getting to so into this until the brick wall of Level 6 occurred. I would have been a very loyal and long term customer. But there is something very wrong here. ( sorry I just started on GWENT yesterday after completing thronebreaker)

Synergy between units was amazing. But its impossible atm. Im getting sick of throwing out bears that do NOTHING.. units that boost by 2 while the opponent wipesall your units in one fell swoop. Just WOW

I've noticed a lot of new players in Arena mode, so you could try that, until you build up a sizable collection.

Your level and the size of your card collection doesn't matter there, because the game gives you a series of random cards and you have to choose which ones you want to add to your deck, so everyone is more or less on even ground there.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I started with Scoiatel as i loved them in Thronebreaker. It was such an amazing game!.. Then I hit level 6 in GWENT and WOW.. it was insta kill.. so i just pass.. BUT.. the most amazing matchups were the couple I had of similar level.. and decks... it was fantastic.. unfortunately i cannot wait for hours to find 1 :/

The higher levels just throw crazy cards at you .. and my deck is extremely limited I even saw very similar decks where multiple.. extra cards get played where I have no ability to do so...

I understand.. but at Level 6 there is essentially nothing. I logged in today. There were 2 daily quests which i hadnt used the decks before. I cannot even win a single game against higher levels. My deck... the highest unit is a bear.. there is 0 synergy available.

This is where thronebreaker excelled. I loved the synergy... to compliment each unit. But now it is non existent :/
Hint: Don't play for synergies, in the actual meta everything that trys to do anything like synergize with other cards just gets shredded.
You're on track with playing ST, just pick every bronze cards that deals a little dmg, throw in the cards I mentioned above (most of which are in the starter deck) and you'll wreck everybody. You will have to craft a few cards, but you can always destroy cards of factions that don't interest you (I for example milled everry MO and SK card in the beginning)

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

Guest 4339594

I will just wait for the NEXT thronebreaker...I guess. I LOVE the concept. But there is some things really messed up... Perhaps I might just play a few my games and post some screenshots...

Thronebreaker tought me about how synergies were so important though... Im sorry that Thronebreaker tought me an incorrect lesson

As 1 example. Im matched with a level 51 opponent. the first round is played and they have 20 points. I look at what I can do with my deck (even beforehand when i Know Im matched much higher).. there is ABSOLUTELY nothing i can do to stop the opponent with my meager hand..

But.. the really great battles seem to be with evenly matched opponents level wise.. they are fantastic!!!!!!!! even 1 or 2 points win or lose.. is so much fun. But I cant continually wait for an evenly matched opponent level wise

Guest 4339594

Or.. and here s another recommendation.. if indeed levels mean little.. why not match opponents based on their decks?

Or.. and here s another recommendation.. if indeed levels mean little.. why not match opponents based on their decks?
And how would you compare decks to determine which one would be a good opponent for your deck?

Guest 4339594

The only alternative ive been trying... not to great success. is just play my lowest (hello boost by 2.. or damage by 1) units.. I wait till the opponents plays 4 cards (if they start first).. then I immediately PASS. knowing the opponent will have 1 less card.

Its often my only hope... But 90% that doesnt even work out at level 6. I always forfeit the 1st round by default. but by having 1 extra card.. there is like a 10% chance of winning

ANyway.. thankyou red Projekt!.. I shall see you once again in the next thronebreaker :) :) GWENT however is a massive flop, been there.. done that with online RPGS (Everquest was raiding for 10 years was amazing btw) you could have had me hook (literally) .. line and sinker!. but there are very serious flaws that some will refuse to admit.. and shall afffect your bottom line.

See you soon in the next thronebreaker!!!! LOVED IT

In order to compare decks. Its based on the universal language.. mathematics. does x= y etc in deck comparisons? I can seee how this could work conceptionally..let me just say im very mathematically orieted. (Master of mathematics)

Following is a possible base for an algorithm to help better match opponents (and Id be all for it.. and improve it!!!)

Each unit is assigned a value (in terms of effectiveness or synergy):

The assumption is each unit, based on whether its a bronze unit, gold unit, blitz unit etc is assiged a value:

The units.. summed.. will determine the opponent who has a similar sum in their deck (+ or - 5 points) example

Example:
a = 1 (blitz), b =3 (bronze), c = 5 (gold) etc

So, when the matchmaking process begins, the deck available would be based on a summation process, which determines the effectiveness of the decks. But thats not all. Each unit unit in the deck should compared with each other to deterine its effectiveness. Perhaps there is a bronze unit that.. in the background.. has 3 points (just a theoretical number). How many 3 point units do they have available? If 1 player has more 3 point units than the other.. then that is not quite the best match.. but it might be close if 1 player has more 5 point units than the other.

Do you see where im heading?

It is fairly complex.. but i can already see it my head its completely doable..

Its just a huge combination of if -else - while statements.. whilst at the same time ensuring the algorithm does not long to compute to ensure a smooth player experience. ok maybe i should go back to Python :)

Thats just the beginnning.. but do you see where im headed for balance... its all in the math!

DRK3

Forum veteran
Just to add a few facts:

Before, in Gwent Beta, levelling up was much MUCH slower, and got slower with each level. Now you need the same exp for each level and its much faster - this makes the level difference way less important.

There's the prestige system - when you reach level 60, you start again. I got a complaint here: im Prestige 2, Lv. something but i didnt notice any difference on the symbol from Prestige 1, so i also dont know what Prestige Lv. are my opponents. I think the game never matched me with a Prestige 0, but not even sure of that...

Like i found out recently, and it was pointed out here - as long as it IS NOT THE BEGINNING OF A RANKED SEASON (the first 2 weeks or so), where everyone is ranking up, if you're low rank (30-20), you'll face much easier opponents than in casual, where you can get a total noob, followed by a relentless pro player, its much more random.

I got a complaint here: im Prestige 2, Lv. something but i didnt notice any difference on the symbol from Prestige 1

Take a closer look. Both Prestige 1 and 2 banners are blue, but the Prestige 1 banner has frayed edges like it's old or used whereas the Prestige 2 banner has a crisp look and golden edges.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Take a closer look. Both Prestige 1 and 2 banners are blue, but the Prestige 1 banner has frayed edges like it's old or used whereas the Prestige 2 banner has a crisp look and golden edges.

Thanks for the info. But it reminds me of when HC hit, and it took me 15min to find the difference between the common and rare cards (i swear the greyish of commons looked like blue to me!)

Honestly, these display things should be more clear, there's not too many of these issues but there's no reason to be any at all.

rrc

Forum veteran
The only alternative ive been trying... not to great success. is just play my lowest (hello boost by 2.. or damage by 1) units.. I wait till the opponents plays 4 cards (if they start first).. then I immediately PASS. knowing the opponent will have 1 less card.

Its often my only hope... But 90% that doesnt even work out at level 6. I always forfeit the 1st round by default. but by having 1 extra card.. there is like a 10% chance of winning

ANyway.. thankyou red Projekt!.. I shall see you once again in the next thronebreaker :):) GWENT however is a massive flop, been there.. done that with online RPGS (Everquest was raiding for 10 years was amazing btw) you could have had me hook (literally) .. line and sinker!. but there are very serious flaws that some will refuse to admit.. and shall afffect your bottom line.

See you soon in the next thronebreaker!!!! LOVED IT

In order to compare decks. Its based on the universal language.. mathematics. does x= y etc in deck comparisons? I can seee how this could work conceptionally..let me just say im very mathematically orieted. (Master of mathematics)

Following is a possible base for an algorithm to help better match opponents (and Id be all for it.. and improve it!!!)

Each unit is assigned a value (in terms of effectiveness or synergy):

The assumption is each unit, based on whether its a bronze unit, gold unit, blitz unit etc is assiged a value:

The units.. summed.. will determine the opponent who has a similar sum in their deck (+ or - 5 points) example

Example:
a = 1 (blitz), b =3 (bronze), c = 5 (gold) etc

So, when the matchmaking process begins, the deck available would be based on a summation process, which determines the effectiveness of the decks. But thats not all. Each unit unit in the deck should compared with each other to deterine its effectiveness. Perhaps there is a bronze unit that.. in the background.. has 3 points (just a theoretical number). How many 3 point units do they have available? If 1 player has more 3 point units than the other.. then that is not quite the best match.. but it might be close if 1 player has more 5 point units than the other.

Do you see where im heading?

It is fairly complex.. but i can already see it my head its completely doable..

Its just a huge combination of if -else - while statements.. whilst at the same time ensuring the algorithm does not long to compute to ensure a smooth player experience. ok maybe i should go back to Python :)

Thats just the beginnning.. but do you see where im headed for balance... its all in the math!
If you had decided to quit, there is nothing I or anyone can do. But if you want to give it a try, this is what my advice would be:

1) Play Skellige (they were awesome in TB too, right?). It is the most consistent faction and always had been and seems like always will be.
2) If needed, mill/scrap every card from a faction (or even 2 or 3 factions) and use the scraps to build some key golds and filler bronzes.
3) Play Arena. If you need ore, choose ore rewards in Reward Books. Arena is a level playing field, but it is hard too to get RoI. You need to win at least 3 matches to get good break even.
4) Always try to see what cards opponents play and learn their ability. It will help you to plan/predict.
5) Add some friends and help each other to win some rewards through challenges.
6) If you can afford, buy the starter pack with real money. I heard that it is a very good deal.

I milled Skellige when I started and built MO. It helped a bit because I could craft better cards and win more games.

Play ranked. You will at least be matched someone near your skill level. Casual is a bad place for beginners. All Tier 1 decks are practiced in Casual. Always play Ranked and you will get people near your rank.

Gwent is a complex game. You can't have positive win rate as soon as you start.

Mill->Craft Skellige->Play Ranked
Or
Play Arena.

Good Luck! You will get much better deck in no time.

maybe if we help you to build a decent deck? i think you have a really poor deck. if you want, you can share details like scraps, gold cards etc. i made a smurf account , and indeed, even at rank 29 , i face a lot of players with 165 res deck because they were veterans and got a lot of scraps. was hard for me to win, i lost almost all the games against them. it s hard at beginning but once you got a good deck, you can learn to play better and to have fun

All this meta decks stuff is fun killer...they literally force people to turn off your brain and play top deck if not you will just be meat for players who mastered those meta....It was very big disappointment for me after Rank 10....

Mastering the META, that sounds like a real bad joke. I'm at lvl 10 currently as well and unfortunately you have a point here mister. I played about 10 games the past 2 days and META was all that is there and I lost 100% of the games besides the fruitfull win of opponents losing connection.

All this meta decks stuff is fun killer...they literally force people to turn off your brain and play top deck if not you will just be meat for players who mastered those meta....It was very big disappointment for me after Rank 10....

It's always been this way. That's why people like me are constantly asking for better balancing in the game so that diversity keeps going up and we don't see the same OP decks constantly.

Top Bottom