My opinion on fixing the money exploits

+
My opinion on fixing the money exploits

Hi

I'm probably of the minority opinion on this but I want to give my reasons why I think they shouldn't have fixed the money exploits, or at least, having fixed it, given an alternative for the sake of a certain demographic of player.

Firstly I can understand the reason why this did fix it. Witchers not doing anything for free is an integral part of the game's universe and therefore there needs to be an incentive to earn that money. I can't really think of any other reason; perhaps others here could name some.

The reasons I think they shouldn't have fixed this is because of players like me, who only get to play for a few hours a week.

At the risk of sound like a whiny hipster with first world problems (which this certainly counts as one); I have a full-time IT job which entails me having to keep my knowledge and skills up to date with lots of studying in my spare time. There are also periods of 24/7 on-call support as well as travel. I live on my own so I have all the responsibilities to my apartment that that entails, such as all the housework, repairs, so on and so forth.

When I finally get to spend a few hours of the week playing, I don't want to have to worry about my income in the game. I want to be able to go out into the world, do some quests, kill some monsters and progress the storyline. Having to worry about my poverty level isn't entertaining for me and a game should be entertaining. I have to worry about my income in real-life; I don't want to have to worry about it in a fantasy life.

I understand that an intrinsic aspect of Geralt's character is that he doesn't do any thing for free. And therefore, there is a need for him to be concerned about earning that money. However, as the player, it's nice to enter a world as a protagonist that doesn't have to worry about money, unlike in real life.

I know the game's economy will probably come up in replies but I don't think that argument stands up. An economy is based on supply and demand. As the Witcher 3 is a single-player only game, the only demand comes from that single player, so prices are therefore arbitrarily set. If the game was an MMORPG, there would be an economy and market forces would determine the value of items and services.

Personally, I would like to see an option for us to play the game in such a way that income wasn't a concern (or at least much less of a concern) for those who don't have the spare time for such things and just want to enjoy the storyline, and spend a few hours a week killing monsters.

Last edited:
If you're playing on PC there's nothing stopping you from "helping" yourself via CheatEngine or mods and I really don't see the harm in a single player game. This is especially true if you REALLY don't have the time to play the game properly.

I never know what to sell or dismantle or need in the future for crafting or alchemy. I know I could read some guides, but it comes down to time again.

I think if they fixed the loot, so that you go gear appropriate to your level as well as potions etc, I could just sell everything.

---------- Updated at 08:20 AM ----------

Unfortunately, I play on the PS4, so I have to play my £60 purchase in a way dictated to my by others.

---------- Updated at 08:28 AM ----------

Also, the PC aspect of modding is very interesting. They are essentially making it so PC players are able to make their own exploits, but then deny exploits to everyone else. Either the game is meant to work in the way the devs intended or it isn't.

It also suggests that the devs think that buying something cheaply and then working that object into something else and selling it at a higher price is a bad thing. Oh wait, I've just described every business ever.

I make sure to hang on a few of each item and sell the rest. You'll soon get a hang of what's common and what's relatively rare loot.
In hindsight, you could probably sell off everything you find and buy it back when you actually need it (at a loss), rather than carrying it around "just in case". You actually need very few crafting mats relative to the amounts you find.

I am playing in DT and have no need for gold whatsoever. Why do you need gold for? After a while you can get the witcher recipes and by then you have enough money to craft them. I dismantle the items that give good materials and sell the rest. I have over 10k gold and have so many materials that if i sold them i could buy whole Novigrad and i am lvl 15.

Did you fell at any point in the game that you were short on money?

I would never hire you for an IT job.. haha..
My witcher has done 3 monster contracts the whole game and has over 3000 gold which, of course, there is nothing to buy with, because everything you need, from rubies to dragon skin to high level gear and recipies, you find in crates and grain sacks

You are very incompetent

I have about 8K of gold because of the exploit which I used for the reasons I previously stated and I'm lvl 10. So I'm fine in that regard. Before I used the exploits I constantly had no money so couldn't even get repairs let alone any supplies. I do have a ton of a lot of the same items so I'll look at that. The problem for me with this approach is that I don't know if I should keep an item as it is, dismantle it or sell it.

I used to love RPG's but this is the first time I've done one on a PS4. Having played a lot of Skyrim on the PC before my current life responsibilities I modded it to hell and gave my self tons of stuff via the console so I could just concentrate on exploring and questing, which I don't see anything wrong with in a single-player game as it isn't impacting on anyone elses game. I hate having to deal with the economics.

---------- Updated at 08:54 AM ----------

Believe me, I'm the first to admit, I'm not a very good gamer. Nor will I ever likely to be which is why I want to just jump in and kill monsters in a huge open world in the limited time of the week I have.

Seriously earning money in this game is beyond easy and should be made much much much harder as it ruins the economy system. At around 20 hours I had around 10k.

Admittedly the below screenshot is after around 120 hours played but without any exploits, without cheats or without meditating purposefully for merchants to get new coins to sell more stuff. Neither have I sold any of the pearls I have found nor used fast travel around to sell stuff at different merchants. This is just playing the game as it is.

Finally I don't really care to earn money anymore so the number could in fact have been much higher.

View attachment 16335

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-06-06 11-15-40-38.jpg
    witcher3 2015-06-06 11-15-40-38.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 53
Hi

I'm probably of the minority opinion on this but I want to give my reasons why I think they shouldn't have fixed the money exploits, or at least, having fixed it, given an alternative for the sake of a certain demographic of player.

Firstly I can understand the reason why this did fix it. Witchers not doing anything for free is an integral part of the game's universe and therefore there needs to be an incentive to earn that money. I can't really think of any other reason; perhaps others here could name some.

The reasons I think they shouldn't have fixed this is because of players like me, who only get to play for a few hours a week.

At the risk of sound like a whiny hipster with first world problems (which this certainly counts as one); I have a full-time IT job which entails me having to keep my knowledge and skills up to date with lots of studying in my spare time. There are also periods of 24/7 on-call support as well as travel. I live on my own so I have all the responsibilities to my apartment that that entails, such as all the housework, repairs, so on and so forth.

When I finally get to spend a few hours of the week playing, I don't want to have to worry about my income in the game. I want to be able to go out into the world, do some quests, kill some monsters and progress the storyline. Having to worry about my poverty level isn't entertaining for me and a game should be entertaining. I have to worry about my income in real-life; I don't want to have to worry about it in a fantasy life.
I guess you just have to be patient and work through the game bit by bit.

Amazing, they fixed the money glitch? I commend CDPR for fixing that which was broken.

Now in response to the original poster... All I hear in his post is crying -and as he so eloquently put it: whiny hipster talk- Welcome to the real world, you aren't the only one in the world that has to deal with "continuing education" or taking care of your apartment or a job etc.. etc. I don't know where people like the TC get this idea that video games should cater to his every whim. Here's a thought: DON'T play video games if you DON'T have time..., it sounds like you REALLY don't have time to be playing video games but you chose to do so anyway.

I don't understand how you guys struggle to make money in this game to go as far as to glitch the system for easy money... for christ's sake, almost EVERYTHING is lootable in this game... walk in house, steal all the things, sell, rinse and repeat, no glitch needed... is that too hard for you guys? Hell, one could argue that just walking into someone's house and just looting everything without repercussions is almost a glitch in itself... really? NOBODY's going to tell you to stop stealing stuff? but yet you guys STILL need to glitch the game to make money?!? Amazing....

I never know what to sell or dismantle or need in the future for crafting or alchemy. I know I could read some guides, but it comes down to time again.

I think if they fixed the loot, so that you go gear appropriate to your level as well as potions etc, I could just sell everything.

---------- Updated at 08:20 AM ----------

Unfortunately, I play on the PS4, so I have to play my £60 purchase in a way dictated to my by others.

---------- Updated at 08:28 AM ----------

Also, the PC aspect of modding is very interesting. They are essentially making it so PC players are able to make their own exploits, but then deny exploits to everyone else. Either the game is meant to work in the way the devs intended or it isn't.

It also suggests that the devs think that buying something cheaply and then working that object into something else and selling it at a higher price is a bad thing. Oh wait, I've just described every business ever.

lolwtf? Let me correct you, in case you weren't aware... you pay money to purchase a game to be played in the manner the company intended you to play in. If you didn't like the intended way of playing the game, you didn't have to pay for it; no one forced you to buy the game.

I play on PS4 too, and I'm glad they patched up these nasty glitches/bugs that obviously weren't intended by the creator. Great job CDPR, keep on patching glitches and bugs.

I don't get why people even saw the need to exploit for money in the game. My first playthrough of the main story had me end the game with over 15k gold to spare. And I could have earned a lot more money if I had looted more stuff during my playthrough. At the beginning I thought that money would be hard to maintain in the game, but I was very wrong it seems. And I thought this exploit was really funny.

Top Bottom