my overall experience with NG+

+

jj284b

Forum veteran
my overall experience with NG+

Believe or not, but only after i finished Blood and Wine, i finally decided to actually start a NG+ mode. Up to this time, i have over 1200 hours spent with this game, which might seem a lot, but i spent some of that time working on my personal mods which usually represent half of the fun i typically have with games i like.

Anyway, i would like to share few things about NG+ so far.
Overall, i like the game progress with alchemy already complete, as it is much closer to "lore Geralt" as experienced witcher who should already know how to make his potions and oils.. New level scaling nicely adds this making game challenging in combat, so no complain there.

Main issues with NG+ are coming from economy. With item level scaling for looted weapons and armors, looted weapons are practically breaking the game economy. All you need to get a ton of money is to pick every single weapon and try to sell it to somebody. It doesn't really matter how much you get for it, as its free stuff for you, so it always generate pure profit. Plus, with high level character, also those weapons are automatically high level, which transfers into their price... you can sell all those Velen/Novigradean and Nilfgaardian swords for over 100 crowns per piece, even if the same swords at the beginning of the game would give you more than 4-6 crowns... I think here, it would be much better if there was no autolevel for these weapons.. these should be low quality weapons, only worth the cost of metal you get from them if you melt them.. instead, they outlevel your "high quality" stuff without problem... If those weapons had fixed level, their price would stay fixed, therefore they would be mostly a dead weight instead of reliable source of income, which eventually breaks the economy and enjoyment of finding stuff..

Some of you might say - wait, but that would make NPC much weaker - but truth is, NPC don't even really use these weapons.. they have separate damage definitions already and these dropped weapons are not actually used by them.. they are there just for player to pick.. Lore vise, ordinary weapons were seen worthless and no witcher would even bother with them...

Believe or not, but only after i finished Blood and Wine, i finally decided to actually start a NG+ mode. Up to this time, i have over 1200 hours spent with this game, which might seem a lot, but i spent some of that time working on my personal mods which usually represent half of the fun i typically have with games i like.

Overall, i like the game progress with alchemy already complete, as it is much closer to "lore Geralt" as experienced witcher who should already know how to make his potions and oils.. New level scaling nicely adds this making game challenging in combat, so no complain there.

Main issues with NG+ are coming from economy. With item level scaling for looted weapons and armors, looted weapons are practically breaking the game economy. All you need to get a ton of money is to pick every single weapon and try to sell it to somebody. It doesn't really matter how much you get for it, as its free stuff for you, so it always generate pure profit. Plus, with high level character, also those weapons are automatically high level, which transfers into their price... you can sell all those Velen/Novigradean and Nilfgaardian swords for over 100 crowns per piece, even if the same swords at the beginning of the game would give you more than 4-6 crowns... I think here, it would be much better if there was no autolevel for these weapons.. these should be low quality weapons, only worth the cost of metal you get from them if you melt them.. instead, they outlevel your "high quality" stuff without problem... If those weapons had fixed level, their price would stay fixed, therefore they would be mostly a dead weight instead of reliable source of income, which eventually breaks the economy and enjoyment of finding stuff..

Some of you might say - wait, but that would make NPC much weaker - but truth is, NPC don't even really use these weapons.. they have separate damage definitions already and these dropped weapons are not actually used by them.. they are there just for player to pick.. Lore vise, ordinary weapons were seen worthless and no witcher would even bother with them...
I'm playing Blood and Wine on Normal with a save level 60 after completing HOS and I'm at: "Capture the Castle". When I'm finished with this character, I have a save NG+ after HOS with level: 70 in which I will start B&W with...it should be fun! I enjoy using multiple game saves!

Last edited:

I have to assume the reason you need all those crowns is to play the first expansion where you need 30,000 crowns. I'd have no issues dropping the loot prices if they would lower the bar to the runewright.
I prefer to play my Geralt closer to the lore. Witcher are poor and barely scraping by. Look at Vesimer. If you are not careful one can get a little treasure happy and you end up the best dressed best equiped, richest man in all the lands. Super rich is not a witchers life.

Last edited:

jj284b

Forum veteran
I have to assume the reason you need all those crowns is to play the first expansion where you need 30,000 crowns. I'd have no issues dropping the loot prices if they would lower the bar to the runewright.
I prefer to play my Geralt closer to the lore. Witcher are poor and barely scraping by. Look at Vesimer. If you are not careful one can get a little treasure happy and you end up the best dressed best equiped, richest man in all the lands. Super rich is not a witchers life.

Precisely. Thats why i think those prices are killing it... if nothing then i think they should at least change the price calculation, and remove damage value from the equation, so ordinary autolevel weapons wont be worth a fortune in NG+

Yes that is true... only during Blood & Wine I must have spent around 150k (I started with 80k)... and my Geralt still owns 30k. And the stash is full of stuff that would easily get me back to 100k. Plus now we have merchants that are pretty rich so it's easier to get rid of all the stuff at once...

Given it takes 100k+ Crowns to craft all the Grandmaster Witcher gear, I don't think the loot scaling is broken at all. Clearly, the devs are aware of this since they've provided an appropriate gold-sink to counter it.

Unless you guys can provide an alternative legitimate way to earn that many Crowns to craft all these super expensive gear?

Last edited:
I also forgot that it takes a couple of more thousands of Crowns to upgrade your Vineyard and adding Runes to your gear isn't exactly cheap. Definitely plenty of ways to burn away all that money. If anything the game will be broken if they remove loot scaling.

jj284b

Forum veteran
actually.. if there was no price scaling, you would not have to pay 100k+ for gear.. as its price scales up due to its stats as well...

Yes, but the point I'm trying to make is that it's currently balanced atm, there's not much need to drastically change the economy. Geralt getting a pitance for Contract rewards is correct lore-wise, and the game is providing a way, not related to the lore, to afford better gear and a means to use Crowns earned.

There's also the tried and true method of "don't pick up the gear if you don't want the money".

i always enjoy to find new stuff, if it is useful, even better, but the economy breaks if you loot and sell evry single item, if you find something you don't need, dn't pick it up, i don't do it, my encomy is always balanced,

I too have been saving the NG+ until the end of Blood and Wine. Looks like I did the right choice with all those grandmaster gear and dyeing them, I can get new experience to the game.^-^

yeah, actually, i mostly enjoy those new mutations.. im right now at Skellige, (Morkvag) and still using my Grandmaster Manticore armor even if it is like 400 points behind armors available... i dont have any issues fighting everything, but sometimes if unlucky, i die by single hit from a mace from some random bandit (usually when i get stuck behind some bucket or something that is unmovable, or sometimes instead of dodge, Geralt jumps like he was not in combat which doesnt prevent those bandits to hit you right in the back..) as it has 0% protection against bludgeoning.. anyway, my Aerondight gains dmg nicely, easily outperforming whatever silver sword i find... (shame there is no such mechanics also for grandmaster armors..)

but back to Skellige - with the mutations, its actually easy to deal with some monsters that were quite hard in first play, like those spike endregas... overall, gaining points is still important, as being able to activate those top tier abilities even if I only use like 3 slots for signs or alchemy is quite beneficial, and nicely contribute to my swordsman build..

overall, NG+ is a good experience, and it actually forces you to master the combat the way you would never achieve if you only played standard game.... i thought i was good at dodging, but you learn a whole new level of dodging if you have to face groups of bandits or monsters that can kill you with one hit.... :) (and i don't even have fleetfooted enabled)

Last edited:
I haven't played B&W that far, because my game is a bit haunted by bug, sadly, but I in my opinion the economy is okay in NG+.

It got my Grandmaster Set already and it was pretty expansive. Add to that other stuff from HoS and B&W and I can't just buy whatever I want. At the same time I don't have to farm for stuff either, so I think it is pretty okay.

Who cares about "the economy" of a NEW GAME+ SINGLE PLAYER GAME, seriously, you already finished the game, the only complain is that you cant go indifinitely to NG++ and so on.

I finished the main game with around 28k crowns on hand, finished HoS with maybe 5k and finished BaW with 8k now with only 2 sets of Grandmaster Gear (feline and griffin). I think the economy is quite good now with the money sink from HoS and BaW, I even have to haggle now. I haven't even crafted other Grandmaster sets. Gear repair is also expensive. Haven't tried NG+ though, but I agree with the post above me, we already finished the game, no need to care about economy anymore. You could just spend it until zero and start NG+ with 0 money.

Something ends and something begins, the era of poor Witcher is NO MORE, Geralt will retire at least for now in the Witcher 3, earn some money and get rich ! xD

Last edited:
Yes, but the point I'm trying to make is that it's currently balanced atm, there's not much need to drastically change the economy. Geralt getting a pitance for Contract rewards is correct lore-wise, and the game is providing a way, not related to the lore, to afford better gear and a means to use Crowns earned.

There's also the tried and true method of "don't pick up the gear if you don't want the money".

True, true! If you want to be poor, it is a choice. For a maniac OCD like me... finishing NG with less than 150k is hopeless. All the loot at the sea in Skellige... lol
And I'm not sad that I had over 250k when I re-started my current NG+ with lots of the main quest to be done, after HoS, to go B&W. Of my 1565 hours in TW3, 250 hrs is only in this latest playthrough. It would suck to start poor or to be that poor after all those hours. I chose a poor witcher's life with a large bank account. Vivaldi is my friend! I spend so much in so many silly things and still have hundreds of thousands left for whatever expense I need in the expansion. =))

Edit: hmm.. fighting level 77 arachnids at level 71 feels right. Two hits kill #$%^@ spiders!

Last edited:
Top Bottom