My Qualm With GWENT

+
My Qualm With GWENT

To start off with, I'm absolutely not bashing on GWENT here! I was hoping for an online Gwent game after only a few rounds in the in-game Gwent. I signed up for the GWENT beta the moment it became available! I'm a huge fan of the Witcher universe and I can barely wait for GWENT!

Having said that, I still have some qualms with these sorts of games. As a very picky gamer - who mostly like great single-player RPG experiences - I have trouble with games that require you to spend multiple hours on end everyday to have a competitive chance. I simply don't have that drive and passion for it.

I wanted to become good at Hearthstone, but quickly realized that you had to spend countless of hours (and real money) to be anything near successful at it. I have no problem spending real money in-game if I love the game. I didn't spend a lot in Hearthstone since I didn't really connect with it after some intense playing.

With GWENT, however, I think it's going to be different because I adore the lore and Witcher games so much - I want to become great! I'm ready to spend money. I want to be competitive! But fear that I won't be able to keep up with gamers of a different mindset.

Even though I want to be competitive, I also want to enjoy GWENT; I want to take my time, play through the campaigns and learn at a reasonable speed. That's quite contradictory, I know.

Do you guys think gamers like myself will have trouble on the competitive scene? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
They said there will be a ranking system that matches you with people similar to your level so I'm not sure why you're so worried?

I want to become great! I'm ready to spend money. I want to be competitive! But fear that I won't be able to keep up with gamers of a different mindset.

I want to relax with a GWENT and enjoy it. I want to take my time, play through the campaigns and learn at a reasonable speed. Obviously, I will play it a lot when it releases, but I don't think I will be able to keep up with more competitive gamers.

I believe these two things are contradicting. You want to be competitive. Personally, that is something I give up early in games like CSGO, Mortal Kombat or Hearthstone. Especially in card games you need to keep spending time on them to keep up with the other competitive gamers.
From reading this:

As a very picky gamer - who mostly like great single-player RPG experiences - I have trouble with games that require you to spend multiple hours on end everyday to have a competitive chance. I simply don't have that drive and passion for it.

I have the feeling you are just like me. Competitive isn't for us, it requires you to keep playing seriously, instead of enjoying a game at your pace, and as you said, relaxed. From time to time I try to play the ranked mode in games like the ones I listed above, just to see what happens. I get wrecked, decrease in rank and get some losses in my stats. Then I play with friends or justt move to unranked and play the game without having to really care about it. It's just much more enjoyable for me.
What I want to say is, of course just try and see how things go. But I really have the impression that we are alike and thus competitive won't be fun for you, atleast not for a longer time.
It will also be important how fast we'll obtain cards and how ranking up is settled in Gwent

They said there will be a ranking system that matches you with people similar to your level so I'm not sure why you're so worried?

You're right... It might not be a problem.

---------- Updated at 08:58 PM ----------

I believe these two things are contradicting. You want to be competitive. Personally, that is something I give up early in games like CSGO, Mortal Kombat or Hearthstone. Especially in card games you need to keep spending time on them to keep up with the other competitive gamers.
From reading this:

I have the feeling you are just like me. Competitive isn't for us, it requires you to keep playing seriously, instead of enjoying a game at your pace, and as you said, relaxed. From time to time I try to play the ranked mode in games like the ones I listed above, just to see what happens. I get wrecked, decrease in rank and get some losses in my stats. Then I play with friends or justt move to unranked and play the game without having to really care about it. It's just much more enjoyable for me.
What I want to say is, of course just try and see how things go. But I really have the impression that we are alike and thus competitive won't be fun for you, atleast not for a longer time.
It will also be important how fast we'll obtain cards and how ranking up is settled in Gwent

Thanks man! Yeah you're right. I'm not competitive by nature, but I want to be good at GWENT. Only Gwent. But I am unsure if my playstyle will be enough. We'll see.. At least we have matchmaking in ranked matches and hopefully great campaigns! :D

Thanks man! Yeah you're right. I'm not competitive by nature, but I want to be good at GWENT. Only Gwent. But I am unsure if my playstyle will be enough. We'll see.. At least we have matchmaking in ranked matches and hopefully great campaigns!

I agree, if I'd want to become competitive at a game, then at Gwent, Maybe I'll try it too, but I'm really afraid this could ruin the game for me. It already happened to me in some fighting games...^^
If both of us get an invite, we could practice together to perform better in ranked. :D

Not sure what is the point of this thread... your post is full of contradictions. You want to be good at the game and yet at the same time can't be bothered to try to do your best? What is the problem? Gwent will be for everyone, just like Hearthstone. You can be a casual gamer, just copy the decks of other, more invested/better players and enjoy the game playing with opponents of your skill level.

Gwent will also focus on single player a lot more than other card games so that is a nod to all Witcher fans that prefer single player RPG experience over multiplayer one.

Not sure what is the point of this thread... your post is full of contradictions. You want to be good at the game and yet at the same time can't be bothered to try to do your best? What is the problem?

He sees Gwent as the only game where he would bring up the passion to play competitively, so he wanted to hear some opinions about that. understandable for me.^^

He sees Gwent as the only game where he would bring up the passion to play competitively, so he wanted to hear some opinions about that. understandable for me.^^

I'm of a very similar mindset and I'm not worried at all .. yes I'll try to be competitive but if I don't succeed it won't be a game breaker . because I rate SP experience (especially if it's at the highest level like Witcher 3) higher than that of MP no matter how addictive that MP is.

Last edited:
I agree, if I'd want to become competitive at a game, then at Gwent, Maybe I'll try it too, but I'm really afraid this could ruin the game for me. It already happened to me in some fighting games...^^
If both of us get an invite, we could practice together to perform better in ranked. :D

I'd like that! Let's do it (if we both get invites that is :D )

Not sure what is the point of this thread... your post is full of contradictions. You want to be good at the game and yet at the same time can't be bothered to try to do your best? What is the problem? Gwent will be for everyone, just like Hearthstone. You can be a casual gamer, just copy the decks of other, more invested/better players and enjoy the game playing with opponents of your skill level.

Gwent will also focus on single player a lot more than other card games so that is a nod to all Witcher fans that prefer single player RPG experience over multiplayer one.

I might contradict myself a little... But I was mostly talking about the extreme work one has to put down to be competitive nowadays. You're right though... The game will be for all skill levels... I'll be fine. :)

I'm of a very similar mindset and I'm not worried at all .. yes I'll try to be competitive but if I don't succeed it won't be a game breaker . because I rate SP experience (especially if it's at the highest level like Witcher 3) higher than that of MP no matter how addictive that MP is.

Good point! Even if it turns out to be super competitive and hard to reach higher ranks, one can still enjoy this one!

I'm a competitive person, but i'm not about that grind. Especially how lame the widely disseminated meta deck strategies go. I've already made it up in my mind to just play blind and ignore all media relating to it. If i go anywhere in the competitive ranks, it'll be purely my own merit and it'll enable me to not beat myself up over not doing well. These types of things ruined stuff like WoW for me as well (the analogue being specs), choices in cards will become a lot more narrow and rigid when people find the best shit to use in tandem.

I'm a competitive person, but i'm not about that grind. Especially how lame the widely disseminated meta deck strategies go. I've already made it up in my mind to just play blind and ignore all media relating to it. If i go anywhere in the competitive ranks, it'll be purely my own merit and it'll enable me to not beat myself up over not doing well. These types of things ruined stuff like WoW for me as well (the analogue being specs), choices in cards will become a lot more narrow and rigid when people find the best shit to use in tandem.

The grind is what I have problem with too. It will certainly ruin the game in the long run as you said! You said you'll just play and ignore the media - I might do the same. Just play the best I can and see what it takes me!

I'd like that! Let's do it (if we both get invites that is :D )

I'm glad to hear that :)

Absolutely. Dropping Gwent because of not succeeding in ranked would be a waste of a really great game. The story mode alone allready makes Gwent so awesome, and CDPR didn't even have to make one in an online card game.

The grind is what I have problem with too. It will certainly ruin the game in the long run as you said! You said you'll just play and ignore the media - I might do the same. Just play the best I can and see what it takes me!

CDPR said we'll get card packs faster compared to other card games. But I think getting all cards not too fast is also important, since getting new cards keeps the game alive. For me atleast, other people will rather buy 60 packs and play ranked with the best meta deck immediately.

Last edited:
I completely understand you reservation. I had a similar feeling when watching the video of the Skellige deck yesterday haha

I can just draw on my experience with Star Wars Battlefront. I had a similar concern with that because I hardly ever play PvP games but ended up really enjoying it. because and the good mix of ranks within games. So long as the ranking matches players of a similar skill then I think everything will still be fun.

As someone else said there will be single player campaigns to play as well so lots of different ways to play!

I think that with all things it is important to set reasonable expectations. My expectations are to play this game at the highest level possible, and stream/teach the game to players. I want to be on the tour scene if they have one. However, you can get just as much enjoyment playing it casually and enjoying the amazing gameplay. Getting those rare cards and making great bluffs..:)
I would be more than happy to add you or anyone from this list and practice or play anytime.

Thanks everyone for your responses! It really helped me see past my few concerns.

I completely understand you reservation. I had a similar feeling when watching the video of the Skellige deck yesterday haha

I can just draw on my experience with Star Wars Battlefront. I had a similar concern with that because I hardly ever play PvP games but ended up really enjoying it. because and the good mix of ranks within games. So long as the ranking matches players of a similar skill then I think everything will still be fun.

As someone else said there will be single player campaigns to play as well so lots of different ways to play!

Thanks for understanding! Yeah. Sometimes you end up being really good without really that much work.

I think that with all things it is important to set reasonable expectations. My expectations are to play this game at the highest level possible, and stream/teach the game to players. I want to be on the tour scene if they have one. However, you can get just as much enjoyment playing it casually and enjoying the amazing gameplay. Getting those rare cards and making great bluffs..:)
I would be more than happy to add you or anyone from this list and practice or play anytime.

Cool! I'll tune in! What's your Twitch name? ShifuoftheCards, perhaps? I'd like to practice with you! Beware though... I'm not a bad Gwent player. My thread aside, I still have a lot of Gwent rounds under my belt! :)

See ya in the beta hopefully! :)

Cool! I'll tune in! What's your Twitch name? ShifuoftheCards, perhaps? I'd like to practice with you! Beware though... I'm not a bad Gwent player. My thread aside, I still have a lot of Gwent rounds under my belt!

See ya in the beta hopefully!

That is indeed my name. I hope to see you in the Beta as well!! I look to play people of all skills, you only get better by playing. "Practice makes perfect", and my favorite quote," Iron sharpens Iron". :)

Even though I want to be competitive, I also want to enjoy GWENT; I want to take my time, play through the campaigns and learn at a reasonable speed. That's quite contradictory, I know.

Do you guys think gamers like myself will have trouble on the competitive scene? What are your thoughts?

Depends on what you mean by 'competitive.' If you just want to make sure you aren't losing every match, I think you'll probably be okay (there are always going to be worse players like me, for instance :p). If you're thinking of trying to get the 'pro-level' if that becomes a thing, it might require more time and effort than you can put in, and that's okay.

Bottom line though, try it out when the beta releases, and if you enjoy it, just take it from there :)

Depends on what you mean by 'competitive.' If you just want to make sure you aren't losing every match, I think you'll probably be okay (there are always going to be worse players like me, for instance :p). If you're thinking of trying to get the 'pro-level' if that becomes a thing, it might require more time and effort than you can put in, and that's okay.

Bottom line though, try it out when the beta releases, and if you enjoy it, just take it from there :)

Wow, thanks for your response, Kristine! :) Yes, that was what I meant. I don't want to fall behind and lose every match basically. I'm not necessary interested in going pro-level... But who knows? ;)

Oh, come now. You aren't that bad! Use your inside knowledge and dominate ;)

Yeah, I'll try the beta if I get invited and see if this game is better suited for me than other CCGs. I really think it might be!

Oh.. a question for you... What is your role at CDPR.. Pardon my ignorance! :)

Top Bottom