My respect for CDPR grows...

+
My respect for CDPR grows...

As the title of this post states - CDPR has gained tremendous respect from me with TW3, especially after reading recent article from Forbes. I believe now that gaming companies do not need to spend ridiculous amount of money into producing real quality single player RPG games.

With tiny budget of $32 million in production and $35million in marketing, the total amount is tiny compared to other open world games, namely GTA V($265million) and Skyrim ($80million). I'm excluding Destiny as I think it belongs to another genre but man, the $500 million production cost does make TW3 production cost really dwarf in comparison!

This also make me re-think on early critics regarding TW3 graphic downgrades, bugs and glitches that I might have written in this forum and elsewhere as well as negative thoughts as a result of frustrations that I experienced due to glitches/bugs while playing the game. Now come to think of it, these criticism in my part were largely present without ever considering larger view point such as the factor I just described above.

This, however, doesn't mean that CDPR could be scot-free on the faults present in TW3, they are still responsible to making fixes and improvement that they have promised for TW3, but I've grown to be more considerate and patient and have more trust in CDPR that problems that currently plague TW3 will be fixed in due time and this is strongly evidence by multiple patches that have already gone live with more to come.

To sum it up, CDPR is possibly the last bastion of hope that gamers such as myself could rely on making real quality games without looking greedy and I sincerely hope this stays for a very long time!! :respect:

Related Article: 'The Witcher 3's' Business Model Is A Revolution
[h=1][/h]

Forgot where i read this, but Destiny's 500 mil budget includes its subsequent development and maintainence expenditure, the production cost of the original game is much lower, and although witcher 3 takes less than 80 mil to make, i doubt cdpr is buried in cash right now cause they have to pay investors and publishers' due, but enough about that , as a long time rpg fan, I was so sad when EA got its hand on Bioware, now with cdpr my faith is renewed.

Not to take anything away from CDPR, I think thye're awesome but do keep in mind that development costs in Poland are FAR, FAR lower than those in the US. That explains quite a bit of the budget differences between the titles you mentioned.

Not to take anything away from CDPR, I think thye're awesome but do keep in mind that development costs in Poland are FAR, FAR lower than those in the US. That explains quite a bit of the budget differences between the titles you mentioned.

Nobody blocks those US-based firms to de-localize in cheaper countries.

I'm fairly certain everyone knows that and it doesn't take away anything of what OP said.

I thought it was $15 million in dev costs? Did that change somehow? Not at all surprised if it isn't true, since I found it really difficult to believe in the first place, but just curious as to how it was reported incorrectly.

With tiny budget of $32 million in production and $35million in marketing

I really don't want to sound negative. But, seriously. You know the current state of things in the industry, is fucking arse backwards, when more of a game's total budget goes into marketing it, than it actually does to bloody make the thing..

I really don't want to sound negative. But, seriously. You know the current state of things in the industry, is fucking arse backwards, when more of a game's total budget goes into marketing it, than it actually does to bloody make the thing..

Amen... sad state of affairs. But here again I think the fact that the developer is in Poland is relevant. While they're able to keep development budget low by paying Polish salaries, the ad campaigns running in US/UK etc cost a lot more than if they were just releasing the game in Poland.

let it grow mate

People do know that GTA is developed in UK right?

I did some quick googling.

Poland labor cost is surpising low in comparsion to US. However development in western Europe, Germany, Sweden, France & UK etc are most certainly far more expensive than in US. Higher taxes, high software cost (by almost double, just check Autodesk software price between Europe & US), & higher labor cost, higher rent cost I guess too.

But now eith the lower exchange rate of €, maybe the cost are closer.

true, almost all games today have a larger marketing buget than dev.

W3 has one of the closes margin. It is just to appeal to the larger masses (esp console market were they are mostly casual players)

It's the same with big budget films, marketing has almost always been more expensive for AAA blockbuster games/movies.

Top Bottom