My suddenly revised thoughts on Yennefer vs. Triss

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way to completely resolve the books and games at this point, because in some instances it's best to let the books dictate design, and in others the game lore. So it has to be a fluid process for the devs and for the player. In this instance, I think being an RPG first and foremost trumps the books, so for me Triss is the right choice because Yen is late to the party and is a volatile partner. Indeed I can surmise from both the books and the game Geralt's relationship with her is essentially a curse and that anyone is better than Yen. Is Yen a fascinating character? Yes. Will Geralt always be a sad beta male with her? Absolutely.

Nah I mean people should not bring up the books to tell the others how they should feel about game events or which decision make more sense for Geralt in the game having considered the books.

If you though strictly speak about the book events and do not consider the games then yes the books are God there.

Last edited:
@StormKorp , first and foremost it is the story writers who 'set the new canon' for the games, not the players. Secondly, the games being (though non-canon) sequels to the books, share in the same continuity. I explained this to you already in another thread. The games must account for dramatic changes that differ from the the books. E.g. Geralt is ready to settle down with Yennefer at the end of the books, and in the books Triss acts as a sort of Judas (she fits the trope almost perfectly). In the games Triss can be romanced, therefore the games must explain (keeping with the continuity established in the canon in the books) how and why that is possible. To do otherwise is to break with continuity, which causes contradictions in the narrative. To an extent, the books dictate the logic of the occurrences that happen within the game's narrative.

I do not say so without reason.
She gives up Yennefer to the lodge, goes along with the plan to let Geralt die (the man who she is convinced that she loves), and is also a main conspirator in the lodge's (Philipa's) plan to force Ciri to breed babies...In the end Triss tries to ask Yennefer for forgiveness.

I do not say so without reason.
She gives up Yennefer to the lodge, goes along with the plan to let Geralt die (the man who she is convinced that she loves), and is also a main conspirator in the lodge's (Philipa's) plan to force Ciri to breed babies...In the end Triss tries to ask Yennefer for forgiveness.

I read the books. I know whole story.

and BTW "goes along with the plan to let Geralt die" - so who or what was the danger for Geralt exactly? About what or who talked Phillipa?

Last edited:
There is no way to completely resolve the books and games at this point, because in some instances it's best to let the books dictate design, and in others the game lore. So it has to be a fluid process for the devs and for the player. In this instance, I think being an RPG first and foremost trumps the books, so for me Triss is the right choice because Yen is late to the party and is a volatile partner. Indeed I can surmise from both the books and the game Geralt's relationship with her is essentially a curse and that anyone is better than Yen. Is Yen a fascinating character? Yes. Will Geralt always be a sad beta male with her? Absolutely.
Honestly, books (IF they are the original work that is, as is the case here) should always trump games. The superior art form and all that :p , gaming is not even close still to literature (Witcher 3 is a great gaming achievement... and... nothing special when compared to what the elder art medium has had for centuries).

Also isnt this "beta" and "alpha" male thing something made up on the internet in the past decades? Honestly going by its internet definition it seems like it is the opposite conclusion to yours in this case :p

OT:
Read the rest of the books OP, then form an opinion.

---------- Updated at 11:59 PM ----------

The writers gave that freedom to the players so the players set their own canon in the game. The game also solve any pending issue the books left...Last wish quest...by letting you terminate and explicitly contradict the book canon. The book issues are resolved by the games...i just don't understand what you actually mean...with this whole continuity. You are more like ranting and hating with no real reason.

The games barely can resolve plot and event issues (barely... and honestly often fail :( ) let alone resolve deep thematic ones. It is the limits of CDPR and the medium at play here

I read the books. I know whole story.

and BTW "goes along with the plan to let Geralt die" - so who or what was the danger for Geralt exactly? About what or who talked Phillipa?

Out of the three things that I mentioned you cherry pick the second worst thing that she did. lol
Anyway, Triss rationalizes that after she convinces Ciri that Yennefer was a spy for Nilfgaard and never loved her, that Ciri will be easier to manipulate without Geralt in the picture as well.

Last edited:
Honestly, books (IF they are the original work that is, as is the case here) should always trump games. The superior art form and all that

What are the criteria? More detailed? Yes. Books much more cheaper, than games in respect of resources. So for writer it much easier to say all what he wants to say.

btw are we going towards offtopic?))

---------- Updated at 12:08 AM ----------

At of the three things that I mentioned you cherry pick the second worst thing thing that she did. lol
Anyway, Triss rationalizes that after she convinces Ciri that Yennefer was a spy for Nilfgaard and never loved her, that Ciri will be easier to manipulate without Geralt in the picture as well.

I asked you simple question about books events. Nothing more. If you dont want to answer - don't do it.
I'm not interested about how Triss' character harms your moral principles or how you see her doings.

Last edited:
What are the criteria? More detailed? Yes. Books much more cheaper, than games in respect of resources. So for writer it much easier to say all what he wants to say.

btw are we going towards offtopic?))

---------- Updated at 12:08 AM ----------

I asked you simple question about books events. Nothing more. If you dont want to answer - don't do it.
I'm not interested about how Triss' character harms your moral principles or how you see her doings.

I did answer you. And you know what else? It in no way surprises me that you don't care about ethics.

Well, she brings out the weakest side of him, so insert whatever term you wish.

It's funny that you say that because his relationship with Yennefer (in the books at least) was one of the two(the second being Ciri) huge things that allowed him to grow as a person and a character. According to me and the author of said books as well ;)

But still I'm very curious what is this "weakest" side of him that you have in mind here.

Well, she brings out the weakest side of him, so insert whatever term you wish. 8)

The weakest side of him? I'm not sure I follow. Geralt is not a domineering or particularly incisive man. Not with Yennefer, not with any other woman or person that he meets. He'a simply not an alpha male. It doesn't mean that he is weak. You perhaps enjoy a more assertive Geralt, even I do at times, and the game does allow for that up to a point, but ultimately, he's not a typical macho hero.

Last edited:
It's funny that you say that because his relationship with Yennefer (in the books at least) was one of the two(the second being Ciri) huge things that allowed him to grow as a person and a character. According to me and the author of said books as well ;)

Yep. And in the end he decided to play a hero and died, instead to save himself for closest persons. :teeth:

The writers gave that freedom to the players so the players set their own canon in the game. .

Yeah agree games have their own canon, which uses book canon as it's foundation. To me it's clear that TW3 can support both those who see Geralt as picking up where he left off and pursuing Yen or those who see events and amnesia as having given Geralt the space to see Triss as his future. Don't agree with use of terms such as non-canon to describe games.

The weakest side of him? I'm not sure I follow. Geralt is not a domineering or particularly effusive man. Not with Yennefer, not with any other woman or person that he meets. He'a simply not an alpha male. It doesn't mean that he is weak. You can perhaps enjoy a more assertive Geralt, even I would at times, and the game does allow for that up to a point, but ultimately, he's not a typical macho hero.

I always thought of him as being quite reserved, which probably just comes from him being a Witcher.

Last edited:
Yep. And in the end he decided to play a hero and died, instead to save himself for closest persons. :teeth:

Hm..I'm not sure what does one have to do with the other? I never said that by "growth" I meant that Geralt stopped caring about the sh*tty world around him. He was always a tragic character - one who wanted a calm life without witchering but at the same time who couldn't help but get involved in the middle of chaos. And yup, the ending of the books is kind of poetic because of that. What I meant about his "growth" was more about him getting more "mature", instead of what was before - running away from problems etc

Hm..I'm not sure what does one have to do with the other? I never said that by "growth" I meant that Geralt stopped caring about the sh*tty world around him. He was always a tragic character - one who wanted a calm life without witchering but at the same time who couldn't help but get involved in the middle of chaos. And yup, the ending of the books is kind of poetic because of that. What I meant about his "growth" was more about him getting more "mature", instead of what was before - running away from problems etc

In what episodes you find him to be more "mature" than before? Especially in term of his relations with Yen, except probably episode with Essy, when he realised that Yen couldn't give him, what he wants.

In what episodes you find him to be more "mature" than before? Especially in term of his relations with Yen, except probably episode with Essy, when he realised that Yen couldn't give him, what he wants.

Literally everywhere after Sword of Destiny.Throughout the course of the books he basically grew from emotionally unstable man-child to someone who actually knows what he wants from life and is ready to settle down. Whether he succeeds in doing that is another story and irrelevant here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom