My suddenly revised thoughts on Yennefer vs. Triss

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a concept amnesia frees character of the assumptions and prejudices they have built up via memories and experiences. Stripping bare these does leave one more vulnerable but along with it comes along opportunity for growth. Obviously it helps that Geralt's amnesia is very specific to his life and he still has his intrinsic skills and basic understandings without which he would. I don't disagree that pursuing someone in this state as Triss does is problematic. Triss takes advantage of the situation to see if this fresh start might allow Geralt to feel for her what she feels for him.

Yes, but those assumptions and prejudices are part of one's identity. Where you come from, what you have done, why you have done it, who you love, what you hate, all those things make you who you are. It's great for the RPG player to have a tabula rasa to work with (although even the amnesiac Geralt is not truly that) but for the actual character it is a terrible thing to happen to them.
I feel like the amnesia episode is brushed aside much too easily in TW3. Not because I hate Triss and want to lash out at her in game, although I would have liked to be able to have a candid discussion with her about it, but because I really think it is a very important aspect that never gets properly adressed. A fresh start is fine and dandy, but not with this amount of dusty skeletons hanging in the closet.

Guest 3847602

Yes, but those assumptions and prejudices are part of one's identity. Where you come from, what you have done, why you have done it, who you love, what you hate, all those things make you who you are. It's great for the RPG player to have a tabula rasa to work with (although even the amnesiac Geralt is not truly that) but for the actual character it is a terrible thing to happen to them.

This!
"What is a man but the sum of his memories? We are the stories we live, the tales we tell ourselves."
Yup, even Assassin's Creed have some memorable quotes

I feel like the amnesia episode is brushed aside much too easily in TW3. Not because I hate Triss and want to lash out at her in game, although I would have liked to be able to have a candid discussion with her about it, but because I really think it is a very important aspect that never gets properly adressed. A fresh start is fine and dandy, but not with this amount of dusty skeletons hanging in the closet.

Yeah it's a great RPG feature. Similarly i liked the RPG opportunity of Shep's resurrection in Mass Effect( if not how it was handled or followed up).
Not sure i agree its terrible for character. Traumatic sure but out of traumatic events good thing's can come for the character, so our view of what is good or terrible can change considerably.

I understand the desire of others to have a proper conversation with her about it rather than a throw away line of dialogue whilst walking that exists in the game.
There's lots of things that weren't done to suit my desires too, such as the awful Kaer Morhen section absent of Triss choice, the lack of true confrontation between and both women etc.

I feel like the amnesia episode is brushed aside much too easily in TW3.

It is also brushed aside in TW2. This conversation is at the end of the prologue:
Geralt: Flotsam it is, then.
Geralt: Triss.
Triss: Yes?
Geralt: I'm a bit beat up. Will you look at my wounds?
Triss: Mhm..
Geralt: Let's go below deck. And I need you to tell me about Yennefer, in detail. I want to hear it all, even the things you don't want to tell me, even the things that might hurt.
And then the rest of it happens off-screen, and not brought up again for the rest of the game. In TW3, we have this in Pyres of Novigrad:
Geralt: Seem to be in your element.
Triss: Still remember my elements, how I use them?
Geralt: Come on, six months isn't that long. And it's not like I'm senile.
Triss: But you do have a history of amnesia.
Geralt: I've recovered my memory, completely.
Triss: Good. That should stop people from taking advantage of you.
Geralt: Someone's been taken advantage of me?
Triss: I have, for one.
Geralt: I've never even intimated--
Triss: We need to hurry.
This topic is probably something CDPR simply did not think of much when writing the first game, they had no clear plans regarding the sequels. They could just as well have decided that Yennefer and Ciri never appear in them. In any case, there is discussion about it off-screen, we are just never shown it - only the conclusion that Geralt accepts whatever happened and does not blame Triss.

This particular short story didn't just convince me that Geralt and Yennefer are actually horrible for each other, it changed my entire view on the whole epic romantic love-hate relationship both in fiction and in real life. Suddenly those kinds of connections seem more like curses than anything else, making people who consistently and profoundly hurt each other just keep trying because of infatuation instead of cutting their losses and looking for happier, healthier prospects.

The thing is, I never feel like defending my opinion on this, I always feel like defending Geralt or Yennefer in those cases.

It isn't just me stating those things, I just try to explain what Geralt and Yennefer see and feel for each other and not what I think is the best.

From this point of view Geralt's amnesia is almost a blessing in disguise, at least when it comes to his romantic life, allowing him to experience a healthier, less complicated and more stable relationship with Triss without the self-destructive obsession with Yennefer interfering.

He could have always have that, but he didn't want to. There was always the chance to do that, more than once, with more than one woman. He had plenty of chances to escape from all this in plenty of years, but what happened? He didn't. Why? Because he didn't want to.

It's not just about Triss, there is for instance also Essi, who confessed her love quite quickly. But there is also Fringilla.

Triss even offered to him to be more mean, to be more like Yennefer, so he would be with her, but she isn't Yennefer. That's a phrase that comes up from time to time, xxx is not Yennefer. xxx doesn't smell like lilac and gooseberries. xxx has not a black curly tornado. and and and...

However, he always comes back to Yennefer, because he wants to. Yennefer even wanted him to let her go, so they don't hurt themselves anymore, but guess what, He didn't want to.
Sword of Destiny

‘Just today,’ she said, looking at him with eyes wide open. ‘Just this night, which will soon slip away. Let it be our Beltane. We shall part in the morning. Don’t expect any more; I cannot, I could not… Forgive me. If I have hurt you, kiss me and go away.’
‘If I kiss you I won’t go away.’
‘I was counting on that.’

‘Geralt?’
‘Mhm?’
‘It’ll soon be dawn.’
‘I know.’
‘Have I hurt you?’
‘A little.’
‘Will it begin again?’
‘It never ended.’
‘Please… You make me feel…’
‘Don’t say anything. Everything is all right.’

It doesn't matter what you think about their relationship, Geralt already chose to be with her and more than once through the books, despite knowing the bad side of it.

The amnesia was not a "way out", because Geralt didn't need that in the first place. A lot of scenes, which aren't changeable by the player, are also about his fascination about her, even after the amnesia he can't get her out of his head. He even dreams of her, because of that.

The reason why Geralt never got together with any other woman for longer than two nights was because he didn't want to be with anyone else than Yennefer, and he showed that more than once, twice, thrice...

So many people tell me how bad and toxic their relationship was, however both knew that already!!!! And yet they still wanted to be together, they rather tried to work it out, because of what they feel for each other and not of what other people say.

In the end both doesn't care anymore what others think of them, they wanted to be together and so they did in the end. It was their own decision to do so, because they wanted so.

Last edited by a moderator:
...start of the thread was so good...

---------- Updated at 04:28 PM ----------

I feel like the amnesia episode is brushed aside much too easily in TW3.

I agree. Especially considering the fact, that the fabula demands Geralt and Triss break up (happened off-screen unfortunately and completely out of player's control) - conversation about this theme, would be welcome. Like a flashback, for example, right before they parted ways after Loc Muinne.

Last edited:
Let's keep it down, please. No need to devolve into yet another flamewar.

OR ELSE:

I agree. Especially considering the fact, that the fabula demands Geralt and Triss break up (happened off-screen unfortunately and completely out of player's control) - conversation about this theme, would be welcome. Like a flashback, for example, right before they parted ways after Loc Muinne.

I think this is just a direct response to how Witcher 2 started, with Triss in bed without your doing.

I also think it is reasonable that Geralt break up with her after getting his memory and with that the knowledge of what Triss did, however as you said, why does the games not tell you that...just talk, god damn it. However it is just typical for Geralt to just leave...typical for how he treated women in the past...

Last edited by a moderator:
...start of the thread was so good...

---------- Updated at 04:28 PM ----------

I did love Dijkstra's flowery description of the moment, so i wouldn't have minded such a flashback as long as could have influence on Geralt's reasoning.

Well, in three pages, we've had to delete or edit several posts because of inflammatory remarks and have moved on to formal warnings. The thread is also starting to drift into "wishlist" topics that are already well-discussed in other threads.

I'd like to remind everyone of this post from earlier in the thread:
We all have our own ways of interpreting its language and pulling from it whatever works for us. Opinions are fantastic things to have, and it's even better when you can express them in an engaging conversation.

This was well-said. Perhaps it could get back to that?

Well, continuity between the games has never been a strength of the series, so a few lines of dialogue - like I quoted above - is more or less "normal", even if unsatisfying. Major events and choices from the previous games received similar treatment. Each game has probably been written with the assumption that the majority of the audience did not play the prequels nor read the books.

By the way, the forced (albeit temporary if the player chooses so) break-up between TW2 and TW3 is in my opinion for narrative reasons, it is what suited the story of the game the best, and it would have required a lot of work to implement an alternate path without it. I doubt it has anything to do with "evening the score" with Shani from TW2, like someone suggests above, nor catering to any particular "team", and I do not think that would be a very professional approach to writing. Maybe some better explanation could have been provided, but it is also possible that it is intentionally not explained so that players can come up with their own explanations according to what suits their choices the best.

By the way, the forced (albeit temporary if the player chooses so) break-up between TW2 and TW3 is in my opinion for narrative reasons, it is what suited the story of the game the best, and it would have required a lot of work to implement an alternate path without it.

The same could be said about the "forced" break-up between Geralt&Triss between W2&3....

*edit : sorry, I thought you meant Geralt&Shani :D

---------- Zaktualizowano 18:48 ----------

I chose Triss mainly because right till the end I didnt like how Yennefer treats Geralt.Triss seemed more laidback and nice to him

Right...

OP, complete the heptalogy before making posts like these so you are better equipped to debate all points.

Regarding the nature of relationships someone commented:

"it’s perfectly imperfect. one of the most realistic depictions of love i have ever read in a novel. THIS is exactly how love works for most people. it’s not at first sight, it’s not always perfect and pink and happy, it’s sometimes raw and makes you want to wither and die. people in relationships are sometimes very selfish. couples fight. couples make up. couples go different ways every once in a while. but they get back together if they are really meant to be. and that’s exactly what geralt and yennefer are all about."

People should stop really trying to convert other users to their preferred sorceress it isn't a religion and it's about personal taste. What is good for you isn't good for the others. Arguing with someone on how HE perceived Geralt relations by bringing points on how YOU perceived the same relations is quite pointless. Perceptions differs and so choices. There isn't a better choice, there are preferences....would you argue with me because I love strawberry ice-cream instead of chocolate? It's quite pointless.

Considering we are speaking about an interactive RPG game...bringing the books is meaningless since each own of us has made it's own canon in this game based on its own perceptions and preferences. You should really accept that not everyone think Yennefer is the right choice for Geralt and tolerate different opinions.

Last edited:
Considering we are speaking about an interactive RPG game...bringing the books is meaningless since each own of us has made it's own canon in this game based on its own perceptions and preferences

Not the point. The OP brings the books to this topic (the second one <Sword of Destiny> ,to be exact) as a justification to why he/she changed his/her mind on Geralt&Yennefer's relationship. Soo yeah, advicing to read all of them and then make assumptions on the matter is not a bad thing. It's not "I prefer Triss because I like redheads" kind of argument.

Perhaps you should read the OP first, he was talking about the books ;)

Perhaps but then people started speaking about the Geralt amnesia and Triss taking "advantage" of it.....as far as I know that happened in the games. People mix the two (books and games) quite often when they want to make their point stands. IMO they should be considered separate since the games happened AFTER the books for what I know and there it is the player that sets the canon.

Guest 3847602

Perhaps but then people started speaking about the Geralt amnesia and Triss taking "advantage" of it.....as far as I know that happened in the games.

I'm confused - people should not talk about the books, only the games, yet it's a problem to talk about game event, too?

People mix the two (books and games) quite often when they want to make their point stands. IMO they should be considered separate since the games happened AFTER the books for what I know and there it is the player that sets the canon.

In the context of the games, books are their canonical prequel, the games continues the story of the books (not canonically, though), I don't see a reason to separate them. I agree with bold part, players are free to play the games however they want, nothing wrong with that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom