My Take on what Witcher 4 could be storywise.

+
SigilFey , regarding your idea here:
SigilFey;n10764101 said:
I was mulling over a game that would occur at the Conjunction of the Spheres...or just after it. Playing as a group of regular, desperate people who decide to hunt down some monster terrorizing their land. During the course of the prologue, you play as each of these characters in turn. Each of them makes some sort of profound discovery about what these "monsters" are and where they come from before being killed off (in gruesome fashion, of course) by one beastie or another. Upon all of the other members of the party members being killed, the perspective shifts to the final character, and you somehow come into contact with the first mutagen. (I've debated it being something like a spore or monster venom that the character accidentally ingests, a potion or brew given to the player by a monster like a godling, or even a "hunter" from some other plane of existence that purposefully forces the character to take it...but frankly, I don't like any of those ideas much.) The only thing I think should be clear is that taking the mutagen is an intensely bad idea, but the character has no choice.

Following that, and since mutagens prolong life and health, I'd have the story skip forward, say, 50 years, leaving much of that time steeped in mystery. The character from the prologue now meets the player character and s/he gets wound up in "hunting monsters". The course of the game would be discovering the source of new mutagens and basically experimenting on yourself or other characters that team up with you (not always successfully). The knowledge of how the character from the prologue knows these things (the missing 50 years), would provide a source of dramatic action and discovery to further the story and introduce how the witchers came to be.

Major mechanics would be mixing mutagens to unknown results. Perfect combinations would give only a significantly positive result. Getting close would result in a permanent, moderate improvement and a temporary debilitation. Failing big-time would grant a significant ability and a significant debilitation -- both of which are permanent. (Hence, the player may choose to test things on other characters first, creating a skin-crawling take on "teamwork" and generating some interesting character dynamics.)

Combat would be about learning to take advantage of the abilities granted by the mutagens, and developing moves and combos that would differ based on whether the character mutated to become faster, more agile, stronger, more precise, etc.

Monster hunting would be less about finding books and lore on monsters (since none exist), and all about actually investigating for clues, observing them, and invariably, learning things the hard way.

The end of the game would be the player character becoming the first ever person to be recognized as a "witcher".

(However, this is taking enormous advantage of the license. I would want to ensure that what was created was as close to the canon of Sapkowski's world as possible.)
Personally, I like the concept of focusing on investigation, exploration, and experimentation, in the early days, when things were less certain. I enjoyed that we could experiment -- to a limited extent -- with alchemy in the first Witcher, and missed that in the subsequent games. Moreover, for me, one of Witcher III's strong points was the 'detective work' aspect of quests, so, I'd welcome similar, but more extensive, mechanics like these.

As for character and story, I'd still prefer a more recognisable figure -- like Vesemir -- rather than a 'proto-witcher'; however, given the interest players have expressed in restoring Kaer Morhen, and training new witchers, I believe a story set in the past might have some real potentials, if the REDs were to revisit the series eventually.

Guest 3847602

Riven-Twain;n10764421 said:
Moreover, for me, one of Witcher III's strong points was the 'detective work' aspect of quests, so, I'd welcome similar, but more extensive, mechanics like these.

Just being able to screw up the investigation in some way (like Carnal Sins) or simply draw the wrong conclusions (like the autopsy in TW1) would improvement enough for me. I had no problem with "witcher senses", but sorting out clues should be left to the players in future games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riven-Twain;n10764421 said:
SigilFey , regarding your idea here:

Personally, I like the concept of focusing on investigation, exploration, and experimentation, in the early days, when things were less certain. I enjoyed that we could experiment -- to a limited extent -- with alchemy in the first Witcher, and missed that in the subsequent games. Moreover, for me, one of Witcher III's strong points was the 'detective work' aspect of quests, so, I'd welcome similar, but more extensive, mechanics like these.

As for character and story, I'd still prefer a more recognisable figure -- like Vesemir -- rather than a 'proto-witcher'; however, given the interest players have expressed in restoring Kaer Morhen, and training new witchers, I believe a story set in the past might have some real potentials, if the REDs were to revisit the series eventually.

I think the story arc ended nicely where it is. Continuing with these characters as the main focus would be like adding too much water to wine. Time to head in a new direction. Although, I think the literary universe is rife with possibilities for more energy.

Although...another possibility would be short adventures focusing on the rest of the Wolf School or the lodge over the years. Maybe focused on the time period when Geralt was missing. Haunting clues about what was coming before the wars in the north began. Undertones of Ciri's future. Conspiracy at work in the land. A trip to Zerrikania at one point. Something that explores how things eventually ended up as they did in TW3. Personal, intimate stories tied up with the overarching politics.

Either way, I'd like to see a future addition to the series ask more of the player in terms of preparing for a monster engagement, rather than simply following the breadcrumb trail of clues. That was nice for the literary aspect and making the ensuing combat meaningful, but it would be cool to have to figure out what sort of creature I'm dealing with entirely on my own. :cool:

CD Projekt RED outwardly said that Geralt's story is over. But I would absolutely love to see a game where we explore Geralt's past. Hang out with Cahir and Regis, go fight Vilgefortz and Leo, etc. Then the game would end where TW1 began.

A TW1 remake would also be nice.

But if we're talking TW4, I'd love to see a game where you make your own Witcher, and get to explore the North, Far North, and a bit passed Toussaint, maybe towards Nilfgaard, taking up contracts and getting involved in political turmoil.

to be absolutely honest i only see 3 options. 1. Ciri 2. Vesemir 3. custom witcher guy with or wthout vesemir hunting beasts. Would like to see nilfgaard and elven cities, dwarf cities, zerrikanian land and kovir! no game without kovir! Sex scenes have to really be good and improved. Make witcher cards as trophies or other things. Not for Sex scenes as trophies but for swords , story progress. Like an album, sidequests. I believe the artist of the witcher 3 is really good for this, who made the story scenes.

Top Bottom