My take on why this game failed so hard, despite how good Witcher 3 was

+
I am not a developer, programmist, or anything like that.

But think about it logically. With the Witcher 3, CDPR had lots of experience. The Witcher 1 and 2 are games with lots of flaws (especially 2, with its clunky inventory, broken minimap etc.) but they provided them experience for the Witcher 3. They knew (more or less) what to do and what not to do, because all the Witcher games share the same setting: a medieval fantasy with lots of combat, intense story, and lore.

This is not the case with Cyberpunk 2077. The game is their first title set in a futuristic setting with guns, cars, skyscrapers. They even changed the camera perspective.

They simply didn't have enough experience with that kind of game, and they failed.
That's not an excuse. I assume you've heard of Q&A or an actual test platform staffed separately from the devs. For this game to release when it did and in the condition that it did was insane, irresponsible, whatever you want to call it. Their excuse was BS, they knew 100 percent how F'd up the game was, especially for last gen consoles, BUT RELEASED IT ANYWAY!!!! You can add arrogance and greed to the reason why it happened as well.

My Xbox One X is playing the game better since 1.11 hit, BUT, we should never have gotten to this point in the first place.

They certainly have plenty of experience to dev games and doesn't matter what type of game. This was another RPG, different setting, different characters. They also lied about taking 7-8 years to develop it, the pre-release trailers were BS and we're where we are now. I just hope CDPR management is thoroughly ashamed at what they've done.

Guest 3847602

The fact there's people in here trying to justify how the game wasn't a failure is insane

I see lots of people throwing the sales figures around, like thats some evidence of success, I didn't realise this forum had CDPR shareholders on it
What about singleplayer-only game, with no additional content as of yet having 38128 concurrent players on Steam almost 2 months after being released?

That's not an excuse. I assume you've heard of Q&A or an actual test platform staffed separately from the devs. For this game to release when it did and in the condition that it did was insane, irresponsible, whatever you want to call it. Their excuse was BS, they knew 100 percent how F'd up the game was, especially for last gen consoles, BUT RELEASED IT ANYWAY!!!! You can add arrogance and greed to the reason why it happened as well.

My Xbox One X is playing the game better since 1.11 hit, BUT, we should never have gotten to this point in the first place.

They certainly have plenty of experience to dev games and doesn't matter what type of game. This was another RPG, different setting, different characters. They also lied about taking 7-8 years to develop it, the pre-release trailers were BS and we're where we are now. I just hope CDPR management is thoroughly ashamed at what they've done.
Let's all be honest here, they did it for one reason and one reason only. Christmas Market Sales. If you do some googling there are plenty of pages from current or ex workers saying it wasn't suppose to come out till 2022.

It sounds like you're attempting to say CP is more decentralized compared to TW3. It's certainly a valid argument. This has less to do with anything revolutionary and more to do with the central theme of the story being rather vague though.

None of this means CP lacks a central structure either. An easy way to illustrate it is to consider a central road. You're sent down this road. At certain points you can take a side road off to the left or right. No matter what those side pathways still loop straight back to this central road though. In one form or another. Come to think of it, many of these forks don't loop back on the MQ at all. I need information to fix my problem. Let's go explore this to find that information. Sorry, this pathway was of no use whatsoever. It's a dead end. Try again.

Yes, if you go left you aren't going right. The problem is, in the context of the MQ or central theme, these forks aren't really changing it. That is, they are not changing the central theme/plot of attempting to save yourself. They are changing things outside of it.

Your post implies you have a goal and can choose from a number of different pathways to reach a solution. I just don't see it. This is not really what the game is providing. What it's doing is attempting to trick the player into thinking it's providing it.

How exactly does this describe Cyberpunk though? In the game I have to meet Jackie, perform the Heist, reach a single set of consequences for doing so and meet Takemura. You have to end up with Johnny stuck in your head. I believe you have to meet the Voodoo Boys to meet Alt. You have to engage with Takemura to get to Hanako. It's only after all these events play out do you get a meaningful choice.

I'd add, there aren't really six conclusions. There are two, maybe three, depending on how you look at it. You either off yourself, end up stuck in Cyberspace or end up with 6 months left to live. Suicide and stuck in Cyberspace could conceivably be considered "death". These last two can come about via different methods. The way the events unfold may change with the choices here. The conclusion of trying to save yourself is still ultimately one of these three options.

Every branching computer rpg does this, there is a central plot with non avoidable check points.

as for endings, considering death to be the same ending is foolish.
considering having the same prognosis at the end is foolish

and cyberspace couldn't even be considered the same as death anyhow. was Alts story over when she got stuck in cyberspace.

by your definition everyone who died in history had same story. Every person who doctor says may die in the next year, basically same story.

basically we can break every story into already died and will eventually die. Only really two stories right? maybe immortal is different story.
so I guess they told the only 3 stories that exist in your world, died(suicide) immortal(become program) will eventually die (the rest)

hmm cool suicide V and Abraham Lincoln, same story.

Top Bottom