My take on why this game failed so hard, despite how good Witcher 3 was

+
I played w1 an found it boring, thats opinion not fact, i again tried w2 and again found it boring, again opinion not fact, i then tried w3 with zero expectations and enjoyed what was offered but felt absolutely zero emotion apart from at 2 scenes, Kiera's death at Radovic an Geralt finally finding Ciri but thinking she dead, non the less i still thought the game was enjoyable.
Feel there's something important here. I'm not to sword stuff at all, but years ago I bought the Witcher and it was actually okay. Then I pre-ordered Witcher 2 but it took couple of years before I had time to play it. I played it for 6 hours and left it. It really wasn't game for me. Haven't touched any fantasy settings since.

I don't think Witcher 2 was objectively bad game but something for core audience. People who like to read fantasy get a fantasy book and people who like Noir get noir novel. Nothing wrong with that, though it would be nice if people could sometimes think that for us who like cyberpunk, it was a big deal that we actually got game that it's not only about superficial aspects of genre, but core themes too.

People have selective memories, it seems. Witcher 3 had its share of bugs inintially. CDPR fixed them and now the narrative is how great W3 is. The main (and major) critique of CP2077 is the massive flub-up by management not to realize that older-gen consoles was not initially feasible and being up-front with the consumers. Had they done so, there would have been some disappointment, sure, but not the massive backlash that CDPR deservedly got.

The game itself is massive and awesome - if you play it as an RPG. If you play it as a looter-shooter or some GTA clone, then you will be disappointed. The sheer amount of storytelling - both environmentally and narratively - is extremely well executed. Give CDPR a year like with W3, and the annoying glitches wlll be gone. The corporate bs (which, given the game's theme is ironic, really), however, will take CDPR much longer to recover from.

It succeed financially, mostly thanks to its marketing and cdpr renome.

Overall, as a game it failed to fulfill its promises. It feels extremely rushed.

I keep seeing everyone saying it's not like GTA, but it is infact a lot like GTA but worse.

You can buy cars, you can steal cars, You can drive cars.
But in GTA you can tune cars, you can paint cars, hell you can customize cars.
In GTA you can steal some cars and store in your garages.

You can wear different outfits, buy different outfits.
But in CP you can't wear what you think looks good because you will need the armor and mod slots.

You can romance and get new places as homes.
But in GTA you can go on date, you can do mini games.

GTA has collectibles that keeps you playing even efter main story, there is still things to do.
In gta you can fly planes and helis, you can even buy them.

GTA might have less missions in total but they have other things instead of that.
As I see it CP is a GTA copy with some added elements, but in GTA you will at a certain poing get quite enough money to buy everything for achivements and stuff, you can even play the stocks to earn more.

And when it comes to introducing something new and amazing it truly is a hard thing to do today, but it is still possible.
They could have made driving as good as at least NFS with garage for customization just as NFS or almost.
Maybe introduced some tracks where you could take your date for a track day competing against each other or something.

The most amazing thing I seen in a game that was new and very impressive is how cable/rope physics is done in TLoU 2, now that is truly something incredibly even how small it is but that really gets you immersed even if it is TPP.

This game had pre-order for 9 months before release or something and they sold a lot, but the hearing they cross-team effort to make that hing happen in the game took 3 months to develop.

As what I have experienced in CP in 3 play through I don't think they spent 3 months on any single system that is in the game.
Because if they did it would work alot better then it does.

This trend has been going on for years, but nobody seems to learn the simple lesson that pre-ordering games incentives companies to release a game early and then patch it later, simply because they've already made a profit. The game doesn't actually have to prove anything to anyone.

Sadly, despite this warning people keep saying; oh, pre-ordering isn't the problem because you can just return the game. It's not about you as an individual, it's about changing a systemic problem in the industry. We know that most people won't return the game because it's too much of a hassle, and most people have already invested so much in the hype that asking for a refund is out of the question. The big dogs in the industry are aware of this phenomenon, because they've done the analysis and they actually understand the law of large numbers.

Stop pre-ordering games, and allow professional reviewers to prove to you that the product is actually the real deal. Do everybody a favor and learn to manage your hype.. and if you have kids teach them the importance of impulse control and basic concepts such as delayed gratification and mindfulness.

We shouldn't have much sympathy for people that never seem to learn their lesson, and that continues to make the same mistake over and over again, while also whining and complaining about the fact that an over-hyped game they've been waiting for isn't actually finished.

Guest 3573786

No. You dont need tons of experience in a specific genre/perspective/whatever, to be able to look at the game and say "this really isnt ready." Nevermind the fact they've already done things that are present in both games better in W3.

To be fair, did I enjoy the game? For the most part, but many of the bugs with just make me quit as it took me out of the experience. Has it failed financially? Not at all. Has it failed to deliver a new and exciting gaming experience? Most certainly.

This game is a linear looter shooter with a slightly above average story. We've seen these mechanics in games before, and done better. Everything from the driving to the interactivity with a game world. I was never one that got caught up in the hype but I was looking forward to it. I didn't pre-order the game, didn't get no special edition or anything of the sorts.

It's a game that in a few years will be forgotten about and not discussed. If you look at articles and videos posted about this game over the years, what they were touting would have been a modern classic. Even if it had the bugs, at least the content would have been there which I believe would have lessened the backlash it has gotten.

It's a half baked game that needed more time in the oven. I'd rather have waited another 2-3 years for a polished game with the cut features. Thanks to the gaming industries lust for the day one patch, most games are doomed to be messy at the start. Its a trend which needs to stop.

The game only sold so many copies due to the success of Witcher 3 and the bethesda Todd Howard style marketing that while not technically complete lies was stretching the truth some what at the very least.

If it was marketed as what it really is, lifeless but pretty open world, no real AI, Cars...lol, linear very short on rails main quest with so many issues, bugs etc then it would not of sold so many copies.

I did not bother to refund, 60 bucks is not a massive amount of money and i did complete a playthrough in around 25 hours.

It needed 2 more years minimum, what we have is a buggy, unfinished mess that is trying to be to many things at once.

Certainly not a fail, the sales plainly see's that, but it's a fail on CDPR to give players what they promised. And they promised a hell of alot. You can be the nicest person on the planet but a lie is a lie, no matter how you PR spin it.

If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything. Mark Twain

Last edited:
The game is a mess on every avenue, not just technically. The story is not only disappointing, depressive, and cut short; its structure is a mess that gives the impression that it was written by separate groups of people who didn't have much communication with each other. Or that whoever was holding the reins just couldn't quite pull it off. Characters get introduced to be immediately shunted away or killed, the main story is over before it starts, and I never get to feeling of actually "living" in Night City the way I envisioned. The main story is maybe 20% of the length and time investment I expected. I didn't feel much motivation of playing the game since I was dying before I barely got off the ground. Nice story, folks.

The claimed "decisions that matter" seem to be a joke, largely involving just couple dialog lines. Bosses that were highlighted in promo material are quickly dispatched jokes. I shot Sasquatch down in like, literally two shots. There was no dialog. Smasher was not much different.

Immersion is nonexistent, because all the attempted immersive stuff happens only in the few and far between cinematic scenes, and I can't do the same things in the actual game. 1st person doesn't improve immersion (as I expected) especially since I have no choice but to run everywhere like a goddamn super Mario. The transition between normal game and cinematic scenes is noticeably jarring because of these things. I suspected they wanted the experience to be more fluid and frictionless judging from all the talk about "no load times" - well, they failed.

I agree with above poster in that the game doesn't have anything truly revolutionary (like they tried to make it sound), except maybe the city. City design is impressive, too bad we can't truly enjoy it since driving is still terrible, NPC driver AI is terrible, and NPCs don't even give you room if you honk your horn. CDPRs fixation on controllers certainly doesn't help. And there are the other issues like not being able to just walk and enjoy the scenery.

A lot has been said about the looter shooter approach which is every bit as blatant as they say. I don't think I need to add on that. It is the exact same issue as W3 had, and I have to assume by now that its because one of the CDPR bosses has a fixation on collecting garbage and sifting through mountains of dirt in your inventory being part of "true RPG experience". Itemization is, as a whole, pretty terrible because of it.

I played the main story through last night, and I only feel disappointment and resentment. Not only is the story itself disappointing, I expected an upgrade over witcher 3 and not a downgrade.

ps. Notice I didn't even mention the bugs. They are not the biggest issues with this game and have been pretty well documented.

it still fails because you can't walk around everywhere, you can't enter 99% of the buildings or stores. in TW3 you could enter every single house.

Well, now that's simply not true is it? I love the witcher 3, but you definitely can't enter every single house, not even half of them.

speculation and imaginings
Here is some of my speculation, people are so dissatisfied with this game because deep down they know they have not beaten it.
One of the NPCs can be heard shouting at his phone "idiot devs, who makes a game that cannot be beaten?"
The forth wall is paper thin at times and some of the references are so subtle it's as if they were designed to be missed,
for instance, Jackie describes the Afterlife as "heart 'o' the city", not heart of, the distinction is important because the heart 'o' the city hotel is the first location in The Matrix.
I am currently obsessed with the idea that Night city is a construct and leaving with Alt is actually leaving the construct behind, a much less bitter pill to swallow in that context.
Maybe I'm a bit too 'glass half full' but i spent many years in the bottom of that glass and it did'nt lead anywhere good.
Some user reviews of this game are so over zealously negative that i can't help but feel bad for them, a negative outlook makes the world a really crappy place to be.

This game isn't a fail for the sales that count.
However their reputation failed hardly and got stigmatized as con artist. Manager dont care, they come and go with bonus. (Even a failed manager gets bonus, too.)

6.) Then...we have the launch. That was an "ouch", and CDPR readily accepted responsibility and accountability for it -- especially concerning players on last-gen consoles. (But that sucked.)
That's weird for a release date, which was 16. April 2020. The delay reason was for "polishing the game", yet "Ouch" after an half year later.

Last edited:
The game didn't fail. It just came out of the gate in less than ideal condition due to bugs and performance. Both of which are temporal issues and will be fixed in time. The reality is CDP management bit off more than they could chew in terms of releasing the game across a range of different platforms in the midst of a global pandemic when near everyone is having to WFH which is not an ideal situation when you're attempting to pull a project together of this magnitude.

The smart move would have been to bite the bullet explain the reality of the situation and just release on PC initially with the promise of the Current and NextGen in Q2/3 2021. This would have allowed the developers to focus on getting the game stabilized and addressing any bugs and picking up on feedback over December/January/Feb, then focus on getting the game ported. Sure would have pissed off shareholders, but given as revealed the vast bulk of sales was on PC anyway I don't think the noise would have been as much as it has.

With respect to a lot of the criticism doing the rounds. I think unfortunately whenever a game comes out that is getting hammered on bugginess, there's a bit of a tendency for aggrieved parties and clickbait media to work themselves up into a righteous feeding frenzy. Far too many YT out there fixating on the 2018 E3 Demo (which was only originally meant for the gaming press) even though it is clearly marked as 'WIP-does not necessarily reflect the look of the final game' as if it was a contract versus early look at how the game was shaping up.

It also seems to me based on what I've encountered across this and other forums, that the biggest critics of the game seem to generally have spent the least amount of time with it. As someone whose clocked over 400 hours with the game (100 more than I did with TW3 which is no mean feat). I can readily point to its issues, but I can also appreciate that there's a lot more going on under the hood than many of these people acknowledge. There's been a lot of pretty gnarly if not myopic and mean spirited asynchronous comparisons doing the rounds, especially against Rockstars games, even though in reality they're chalk and cheese titles, in terms of what they are doing. In truth, there isn't much out there that's attempted to doing what CDP have done with CP2077. The game itself has much more in common with DX:HR & VTM:B but whereas those were quite contained in scope CP2077 is operating on a much grander scale.

Sadly regardless of whatever CDP do in terms of updates, patches and DLC they're always going to be lumbered forever with a small but vocal minority of people who are going to dog on the game at every and any given opportunity. Despite the way Hello Games turned around NMS, there's always someone ready to dog on it now, even though pounds to pence you can bet they haven't even touched it since launch. It is what it is.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing CDP address the bugs and begin to incorporate a lot of the requested features as well as build on and expand the world through DLC. I think bugs aside CP2077 is a pretty solid foundation to build upon and I'm excited to see where they can take it, either expanding upon V's adventures or with you taking on different roles.

I absolutely love the game, and this comes from someone who is not easily satisfied. The game is not a fail in my eyes (PC version at least), so please guys speak for yourself. I honestly couldn't care less what happened with the game behind closed door. I just hope CDPR keeps improving the game because it's just too good to be abandoned and deserves the best.

The success of a game is measured in sales and people playing it. CP2077 has succeeded by both metrics, and that's with the disaster that is their console launch.

This is more of a testament to the importance and power of hype and advertising. CP2077 had possibly the biggest hype surrounding it in history.

As a game I'd say CP2077 failed on every discernible avenue and I feel nothing but disappointment. Everything I feared, happened; anything I hoped for, didn't happen.

Top Bottom